I can't wait for this year to end...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MysticalRockets

Reaction score
My Mother is back in the hospital. This time, we never saw it coming.

She threw a couple of blood clots. They went in today, and discovered she had some in her aorta. These they cleaned up, with no damage to her heart.

However, she had one in her leg. The left is pink and healthy. The right is dead below the knee. So they're going to take that on Friday, once she rests from today's surgery.

Yes, its bad. We could have lost her. But there is a silver lining here.

The leg she's losing is the one with the bad knee. So after they amputate it, they'll do the hip replacement on the other, and with a good prosthesis, which her insurance will cover a high quality one, she might just walk again. In any way, alot of her pain will be gone.

I just want this year to end...

Jeepers man. That's rough.

I recommend building a 24mm minimum diameter rocket and stuff a F32-8 in it. You'll only be out $25 or less on motor and parts - less if you use spare parts. It may not fix what is wrong with your mom but it sure takes the edge off the nerves. Works for me every time.

Here's to hoping 2010 is much better.

-Dave

Have a club launch with CATO on Saturday. And she's already threatened to beat me if I miss it. So I'm going.

:santa-smile:

Very sorry to hear about her health problems. Glad there's a silver lining though! We'll keep our fingers crossed for an optimal outcome. Getting out to a launch sounds like an excellent idea...
Best wishes,
Will

I'm the one around here with the health problems. Well, my mom, too, but for having diabetes and a pacemaker she's actually doing pretty good.

This year it's not health problems though. That Artic blast that just went through the country froze up the water lines from the wellhouse despite the heat tape and it knocked out the pump. $380 later we have a new pump and are in the process of replacing it ourselves. Last time it was done was 30 years ago so that's pretty good life for a water pump. I seemed to remember it being 120 ft but after using my Harbour Freight engine pulling hoist adapted we pulled up 80 feet and there's the pump!

Short break here then we go install the new one, wire it up and start the reverse process, lowering it back down.

I truely hope to be dead before we EVER need to do this again :happydeer:

I'm the one around here with the health problems. Well, my mom, too, but for having diabetes and a pacemaker she's actually doing pretty good.

This year it's not health problems though. That Artic blast that just went through the country froze up the water lines from the wellhouse despite the heat tape and it knocked out the pump. $380 later we have a new pump and are in the process of replacing it ourselves. Last time it was done was 30 years ago so that's pretty good life for a water pump. I seemed to remember it being 120 ft but after using my Harbour Freight engine pulling hoist adapted we pulled up 80 feet and there's the pump!

Short break here then we go install the new one, wire it up and start the reverse process, lowering it back down.

I truely hope to be dead before we EVER need to do this again :happydeer:

My parent's just had their furnace replaced yesterday. We discovered quite a few things. The biggest of which was that the concrete pad it was on wasn't concrete. It was just a bunch of bricks. They slapped some concrete on the edges for a lip. We were laughing at that.

20 year guarantee. My Dad keeps saying how he'll be dead before that's over with. I hope not, but he's 65.

Well, we hooked up the pump and my brother the sprinkler installer suggested we try it out before lowering the pump into the hole. Plugged it in, nothing.:eek: Oh, noooo 220 volt pump on a 110 line:( Grover's Pay'n'Pac took it back, now we are waiting on a better pump(3/4 horse power, 50% more volume flow for $150 less!!:D.

We just have to wait for it to be delivered, got it off of eBay:hohoho:

And, yeah, I hope my mom lasts another 20 years. Gramps was 86 but it wasn't bad health that got him. He died of complications from surgery for an anurisim and Grandma was in her 90's when she passed. I only wish to last that long :p

A bit of an update.

They went in Thursday, and got several blood clots out. All in her descending aorta.

The left leg is pink and healthy. The right is dead though. They're going to let her rest over the weekend and do the surgery on Monday. They won't know exactly how much they'll have to take until they get in there, but it will probably be at or just above the knee.

She is upset over missing Christmas, but other than that she's in good spirits. We told her the day she comes home will be Christmas day for us. We don't care about what the date is. Probably Wednesday or Thursday, she'll be transferred to a rehab center for a week or two. NOT the same one as last time though. We're still discussing our legal options with our lawyer over the care she got there.

Bump for an update.

On Monday, she went under the knife. They had to take the right leg just above the knee. But she came through fine. We're still trying to find out why it took them 9 hours to do an amputation. Maybe there were complications, but we haven't gotten any answers yet. We're going to push them today for answers. Dad is gonna burn some more favors with the hospital administration (He worked there for 26 years and a lot of people owe him big time).

Tomorrow, she's supposed to go to a rehab center for 2-3 weeks. Don't know which one yet. If they say Golden Hill again, she's coming home immediately, against Doctor's orders. She'll be better off then she was there in the fall. My Dad is adamant there. He really is mad at that place.

So, hopefully, early to mid January, he'll be home again.

Glad to hear your mom's doing ok and that the prognosis is good:hohoho:

My little update, Grover's Pay&Pac did NOT take the pump back!! We hooked up the wires to see if it worked and the manager said that it had been installed! Manager said, " Did you say you needed a 110 volt pump?" I'm NOT the professed expert on plumbing and had no idea and it seems to me that that is THEIR question to ask.

I blogged on their website about how crummy the customer service is at Grover's and how after we left I went to the post office to return for refund 2 gigs of memory that I installed in my computer that didn't work inspite the sellers assurance that it would, no question asked.

As far as I concerned it's very bad when you get better service from an internet sales than from a local outlet, one that our family has used for over 50 years. In fact I bought the tubes for my conformation rocket and 3rd level rocket from them....

We won't be going back:dark:

Well, Mom is out of the hospital and into the rehab center.

This place is like a hotel. She even has a mini fridge and a microwave in her room. No real set visiting hours as well. We can come and go as we please. And since she really doesn't have any dietary restrictions, she can eat well. She had clam chowder and some stuffed clams last night. You'd never get THAT in a hospital. And if she's hungry later, she can order room service.

Very nice place. And I'm happy she's there. Much better than the last place.

My mom had a massive stroke in May on Mothers day,almost died, in august fell and broke her hip had a hip replacement finally got home in September got done with the first two rounds of therapy after the holiday she starts the third.
Getting out to launches has been imposable up till now.Then My clubs Prefect and good friend passes away (Ken Zuener ).

Her blood pressure and oxy levels dropped last night, and she's back into the hospital.

Just seeing her yesterday told me that they released her from the hospital way too early.

Well, we found out WHY she's back in the hospital.

She was extremely anemic, and hardly even lucid.

She's got a bleeder somewhere, and they're having trouble finding it. She's not bleeding outside, its inside, which is harder to find.

Since Christmas night, she's had 8 units of blood so far.

And my Father is pissed. As in talking to a lawyer pissed.

Well, we found out WHY she's back in the hospital.

She was extremely anemic, and hardly even lucid.

She's got a bleeder somewhere, and they're having trouble finding it. She's not bleeding outside, its inside, which is harder to find.

Since Christmas night, she's had 8 units of blood so far.

And my Father is pissed. As in talking to a lawyer pissed.
I hope they find the problem soon. Your mother will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Back