I built my first Eggtimer device and it was a blast.

Reaction score
Haha, a blast. ;) I never post much on here, so I hope this is the correct forum.

I have been waiting for a long time to build all of the Eggtimer devices that I have purchased over the last two years. I’ll admit that I was worried that I would mess it up. I decided that this past weekend was going to be the time to build.

I went on the website to print out the most recent instructions for the Eggtimer Apogee. After waiting by my printer for what seemed like a 10 minutes for the instructions to print duplex. (trying to save paper) I was ready to get started. Unfortunately, I dropped the instructions on the way to my bench. It was like I walked though a tornado. Papers everywhere and all out of order. So this time, printing seemed to take 15 minutes. (Easier to print again than to risk a step out of order) I made sure to keep a tight grip on the papers this time.

After carefully walking back to my bench, I started to read the instructions. It took a lot of restraint to not just jump in and put iron to board and solder. I’m glad I read the instructions first, I’m sure the people at Eggtimer have built a couple of these and already have the build process perfected. The instructions were very detailed and walked me though step by step. I’m glad I started with this kit because the through the hole components made assembly easy and I got into a grove before I had to mount the one surface mount. The surface mount was also easy and I had the whole kit completed soon after.

The big test was plugging in the battery and turning the apogee on with the screw switch. I got all the expected beeps so I think the build is good.

The total time beginning to end was about 2 1/2 hours. Some of that time was spent waiting on the printer and picking up papers. Tonight I’ll build another Apogee and I’m sure the time will be much better. So if you have been waiting to build an Eggtimer, just get started. I wish I hadn’t waited so long myself.

Thanks,
Jeff

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Printing hint: NEVER print duplex. All it does is make your printer jam... trust me, I've been working with printers for 45 years, back from the days when they had drum printers (look it up...). In my Day Job, I got the reputation as being "The Printer Guy"... honestly, not a title you want. :)

waltr

Reaction score
Good going Jeff. The Eggtimers are not hard to build. Its the GPS modules that are the hardest but not bad if you take your time and use a magnifier while soldering.

Reaction score
Well, the Apogee tonight took an hour and twenty minutes. I think I’ll build the Wi-Fi Switch next. Anyone have an estimated amount of time I should set aside for that build? Thanks!

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Good going Jeff. The Eggtimers are not hard to build. Its the GPS modules that are the hardest but not bad if you take your time and use a magnifier while soldering.
BTW, the latest version of the TX and Mini transmitters have the GPS modules pre-mounted for you. It makes building them MUCH easier... and saves us a lot of support time, too. :)

Reaction score
If you did Apogee in1:20 then set aside 2 hours mainly due to new instructions and parts.
Thanks,
BTW, the latest version of the TX and Mini transmitters have the GPS modules pre-mounted for you. It makes building them MUCH easier... and saves us a lot of support time, too. :)
I picked up a Mini and receiver used that someone else built. If they don’t work, I’ll look to pick up some new ones.

bobbyg23

Reaction score
Printing hint: NEVER print duplex. All it does is make your printer jam... trust me, I've been working with printers for 45 years, back from the days when they had drum printers (look it up...). In my Day Job, I got the reputation as being "The Printer Guy"... honestly, not a title you want. :)
My job is fixing printers and copiers. 🤣

OverTheTop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the early days the moisture content of the paper was critical for the paper path handling. The first time around the drum and fuser dried the paper out and made the task of the mechanism more difficult. Ahh, the good old days. Not.

Cape Byron

The BAR formerly known as Skippy-2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the early days the moisture content of the paper was critical for the paper path handling. The first time around the drum and fuser dried the paper out and made the task of the mechanism more difficult. Ahh, the good old days. Not.

I used to sell Kyocera stuff 100 years ago. Never had a problem in five years of sales, but my God they weren’t cheap. The big six tray A3 beasties were lovely.

We also sold HP, for a while, and Canon. Dropped HP when the ink became a thousand times more expensive than blood 🩸.*

*Possible exaggeration.

jahall4

Reaction score

Cris, I don't know that it is such a bad thing, maybe now, but back in the 90s I was exactly that. Led to a promotion that made me responsible for everything technical and service related in a $12 million contract providing printers to the State of Tennessee. The presentation and project management experience opened the door to Microsoft systems engineering, development, certification, training etc... where I continue to work as consultant, architect, and developer.

Jeff, Yes, building Cris's kits are lots of fun. Dedicating space, using paste, rework station, having all the tools and supplies that are need... makes it so.

ksaves2

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Really? I have an HP MFP M428fdw copier, printer, fax combo. Print duplex all the time and have never had it jam. Admittedly, it's a home machine and I don't do high volume jobs. Kids are grown up so no school work needs to be printed anymore. It works in duplex for me just fine........ Oh "chit" I might have just jinxed myself!! Oh well, stay tuned. Kurt

waltr

Reaction score
Forgot you have the GPS modules soldered on.
Yes, that would make it easier and a lot less trouble for you in support.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Really? I have an HP MFP M428fdw copier, printer, fax combo. Print duplex all the time and have never had it jam. Admittedly, it's a home machine and I don't do high volume jobs. Kids are grown up so no school work needs to be printed anymore. It works in duplex for me just fine........ Oh "chit" I might have just jinxed myself!! Oh well, stay tuned. Kurt
Similar experience with over 20 years using Brother duplex printers.