I built it, you name it

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
Well I had some fin stock laying around and ordered the rest of the stuff from BRS Hobbies and put this together. Have no idea what to call her so Ill let you guys give me some ideas. This is my first scratch build if thats what you want to call it.

Dan

Originally posted by bswan72

How did you mount the engine mount tubes in the body tube?

That's a pretty long name. Howsabout Hdymtemtitbt for short? I was thinking Beelzebub might be a better name, but that's just me.

As you can see brian is having a bad day. :D He asked a question he forgot he new the answer to. :p Thank god for post edit.

Dan

It seems like the rocket is an arsenal inspired design. How about something along the lines of "AGM___ Spike Toe". Give it a nice Air Force (aka Bullpup) paint and decal job and you're in there.

Just an observation...

The grain of the fins is running either parallel or perpendicular (depending on which fins you're looking at). With the fins being rather pointy, you might want to reconsider doing them so that the grain is parallel to the leading edge.

Otherwise, you might want to call the rocket "The one with busted fins" :rolleyes:

BTW, nice Big Bertha/Goliath/Rhino -esque shape. Should provide very enjoyable flights...especially with a pair of 18mm motors :) And did you use centering rings or another method to fill in the gaps around the MMT tubes?

HTH,

I used a Flis Kits Dual 18mm Motor mount for BT-60 that I picked up at BRS hobbies. yes the two taller fins have the grain going the wrong way. We will see what happens but next one will be correct. If this works out well I might see what else i can do to it.

Dan

um.....actually they all have the grain going the wrong way

Yes I see now what I did wrong. Was messing around with the fins stock and the fins were the first thing made. Then I got the rest of the other stuff. Wasent planing on making a rocket, it just happened but its was a great learning experience. I still cant wait to see if she will fly.

I guess the name Fintastic is out of the question now.

Dan

many people here have made the same fubar at one time or annother... including myself

I really like the idea of changing the fins around
so they are not all the same

Originally posted by stymye
many people here have made the same fubar at one time or annother... including myself

I really like the idea of changing the fins around
so they are not all the same

To beef up the leading edge of those fins (which is the whole point of having the grain running parallel to the lead), take a piece of thin dowel and glue it to the leading edge. When you cut them, make sure to cut at the right angle to it butss up against the body. Once glued on, the lead will be good and strong, and it will be already rounded, and resistant to damage.

In fact, you could let the dowel extend say, an inch past the bottom of the "tall" fins, and enough along the "fat" fins to equal the height, so that it stood up straight and vertical. I think that'd look sharp.

Mistakes are only opportunities is disguise. Sadly, some mistakes are opportunities to switch suddenly from rocketry to studying geology, but that doesn't invalidate the concept.

so i got lost, the grain on fins should point away from the body tube, or go in the direction of the body tube?

Originally posted by radiO
so i got lost, the grain on fins should point away from the body tube, or go in the direction of the body tube?

The grain should run parallel (the same direction as) the leading edge.

Rocket
Body |
V
| |
| |
/| |
L / | R |
/_|__|
T

L = Leading edge
R = root edge
T = trailing edge

Fins should be cut so that the grain goes the same direction as the L edge.

Let me pass along the knowldge i just learned myself thanks to Stymye.

Looking at the pic I just made. you want the grain of the wood to be parallel with the leading edge.

Dan

Back