I belive in Future!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
I finally tried Future floor polish as a top coat, and I'm SOLD. It's fast, easy and gives a fantastic shine/protection coat to darn near anything.

I'd been painting my Mirage parts prior to building. Nose and fins chrome, body cobalt blue metal flake. I'd given the body about 4 coats of clear gloss and thought it was done.

I tried Future on the "high visibility" (read: dusty rough finish) fluourescent orange nose on my Mustang. Instant shine where none was before. I repainted the glass red topcoat on the Weasel (do NOT lean it against the wall, the paint will stick and your nose will get white spots where it pulls off). Nice and shiny. Cover with Future: WAY more shiny, and smooth. Nose of the Vulcanite: excellent! The whole darn Vulcanite! Woo-hoo!

Lots of my neghbors were out in the street shooting off fireworks. I started trotting out these (relatively) enormous rockets. The more I brought out, the fewer they shot off and the more they kept watching me.

So finally I took the chance. After 3 days of painting Mirage parts and getting a nearly flawless finish of metallic blue with real depth, I took a risk and Futured it.

Superb. The blue is deeper, the depth is depthier, the whole thing is slicker. Now I'm going to have to wear gloves to put it together to keep it this perfect.

Doesn't seem to change the shine on the chrome paint any. Which is a good thing. All the clear top coats I've tried have ruined the metal finish and turned it to plain glossy color. Future doesn't change the chrome (or aluminum or gold) metallic finish at all. But it IS slicker, and I assume more protected from scratches, etc.

I'm pretty nsure Minwax Polycrylic would have done the same thing, and is the same stuff but in a spray can. But for the price of one can (two MRPs worth) I can do twenty rockets just as fast, since it just wipes on.

The only drawback: your hands get sticky. You have to wash them frequently. Small price, and worth it. I'm sold.

They have Future at my work (grocery store) and every time I do what's called a "go-back" to the cleaning aisle, I almost pick it up and buy a bottle! I think I will now, though...I'm kinda sick of clear coat - it's hard to tell where I put it, so I'll get an uneven shine...PO's me. Time to get some.

I wonder if someone could write an EMRR review of it? :cool:

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
They have Future at my work (grocery store) and every time I do what's called a "go-back" to the cleaning aisle, I almost pick it up and buy a bottle! I think I will now, though...I'm kinda sick of clear coat - it's hard to tell where I put it, so I'll get an uneven shine...PO's me. Time to get some.

I wonder if someone could write an EMRR review of it? :cool:

Jason

Good idea. I was going to do a few reviews of my Semroc clones, and I'll do this too.

Another thing about Future, it doesn't stink. There seems to be far more solvent in clear gloss top coat than any other paints (except maybe metal finish). Future doesn't. When drying it can have a *slight* ammonia smell. But, it's made for kitchens, so how bad can that be? My wife all but chases me out of the YARD when I'm painting clear gloss enamel, it's that bad.

My local store had a store brand which was probably just Future in their own packaging, and it was only half as much. Maybe next time; I wanted to try to real thing first.

Dyan: Future is good stuff expecaily over chrome or metallic finishes, I prefer Nu-finish for most models, You might want to give it a try. I haven't clear coated a model in quite some time, they all yellow badly, future also yellows but jit take longer;) Nu-finish had been protecting my decals for about 6 years. no yellowing, and can be reapplied each time you go out if you'd like. Hard as nails:)

I've put Johnson's Klear (as Future is called over yer), on a few of my models. I'm really impressed with the results; but the thing I really like, is the non-stink properties. Its nice to be able to do something without getting a headache from the fumes!

Originally posted by Micromister
Dyan: Future is good stuff expecaily over chrome or metallic finishes, I prefer Nu-finish for most models, You might want to get it a try. I haven't clear coated a model in quite some time, they all yellow badly, future also yellows but jit take longer;) Nu-finish had been protecting my decals for about 6 years. no yellowing, and can be reapplied each time you go out if you'd like. Hard as nails:)

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I figured it'd go bad sooner or later, but it can be removed and replaced.

The bad news is, chrome paint STILL needs to dry for a week before you mess with it. Future didn't mess up the finish, but finger prints sure did.

Another cool side effect of Future.

While applying the decals over the corrugation on my LJ II one of two corners kept coming loose and even with solveset would not stay conformed to the corrugation.

Step in with the Future. The stiff is kinda "sticky". makes a great decal "glue" for those troublesome corners that want to come up!.

When it drys just put a tiny bit more over the top and she won't come loose again!

sandman

Can't find the stuff anywhere.
Does any chain stores carry it?
Or another company make anything like it?

did you check walmart?..I think that is where I got it before

it's been a while

The bad news is, chrome paint STILL needs to dry for a week before you mess with it. Future didn't mess up the finish, but finger prints sure did. [/B][/QUOTE]

OH That's awful! Reminds me of something Carl or Sandman quiped awhile back, I think is was Carl:)

"if you can smell it...Leave it alone!" especially true of metallics:(

How do you apply future? with a foam brush or something? Won't that leave streaks?

I don't use it all the time but
I've done it 2 ways-

With a rag applied like car wax..you have to work fast as it becomes sticky relativly quick..keep the rag plenty wet ..it's self leveling. so too much is not a big problem.I tried a foam brush but had problems with it leaving foamy bubbles.

My other experience was using an airbrush, I thinned the Future with window washer fluid,,works very nice.
I have a cheap($4.99) Harbour Freight airbrush that is only used for Future spraying..cleaned with windshield fluid afterwards

for cones and especially clear payload tubes I've dipped them in full strength future..it makes a heck of a glue also

the payload tubes come out looking amazing, like glass!

I hang the nose cones upside down to dry and wick the excess from the tip with a paper towel a few times

If your doing a plastic cone..you can sand the blemishes out,
wet sand,and dip,, with no painting necessary

it does yellow over time..but can be wiped with the thinning fluid and reapplied

great stuff

these were done with the rag

It doesn't show well with my crappy camera ,but they really sparkle

Future is absolutely the best clear coat for silver or chrome paint I've found to date. Other advantages are:

1. It won't attack the decals. It doesn't attack the inks so you don't have to worry about bleaching like some clear paints. It doesn't attack the decal film so it won't cause wrinkles.

2. Future is its own cleaner. If your rockets start looking sooty from ejection charges, a new coat of Future applied with a rag or sponge will clean off the previous coat along with dirt or residue.

I've been looking for Future in the paint section.
I guess it's in the waxes and stuff section.
I assume that you don't use any kind of polishing compound on it.
Do you put wax on it?

Carson,

Actually, you need to look in the house cleaning supply section. Future is a floor polish...remember the old commercials on TV. Squirt a bit on the floor, spread it around with a sponge mop, and you'll have the rest of the day to eat Bon-Bons and watch soap operas...:D

No polishing compounds....no wax over it. It's clear and thin like water. Squirt some in a Dixie cup. Paint it on with a brush (I like the foam disposable ones). Watch out because a little goes a long way. It will dry in about an hour to a high gloss. Works great and a bottle will last for years.

Good Luck,
John

Originally posted by SecretSquirrel
Future is absolutely the best clear coat for silver or chrome paint I've found to date. Other advantages are:

Actually I'm in the process of cleaning up after a goof with Future over chrome paint. I used too much and it left ridges and streaks. It took two buckets of detergent and ammonia, plus sanding with 400 grit and priming to re-chrome. I'm real upset, because it's my Mirage fins.

But the nose came out beautiful. The problem was running the rag over the edge of the fin, which squeezed out too much Future, which ran, and I tried to wipe up, etc.....

OK, after all these testimonials I must give it a try. DynaSoar, sounds like you know, what is the right technique to apply Future? just a wet wiping?? not so much that it runs?

Originally posted by cls
OK, after all these testimonials I must give it a try. DynaSoar, sounds like you know, what is the right technique to apply Future? just a wet wiping?? not so much that it runs?

Yep. Get the rag wet and wipe it on. Use enough to leave the surface covered, but not enough to sag or run. If you put it on a little bit light, you can go over it and leave more. But if you recover, do it quickly because it gets real sticky real fast.

I use some lintless polishing towels that came with car wax. Any piece of towel/dishrag/wash cloth would probably do as well, as long as there was no scratchy embroidery in it.

Good paper towel -- the kind that doesn't shread when it's wet -- would probably also work.

Better to err on the light side. You can always put on more after it's dry.

Guys,

Future is just plain old acrylic, the same as what's in spray cans of acrylic clearcoat. What makes it different better is that Future's solvent is plain water, compared to volatile solvents needed to keep spray can nozzles clean. That's why Future doesn't hurt decals and is compatible with just about any paints...there are no volatile solvents that will attack them.

Future can be thinned with plain water. Obviously, window cleaner worked well for stymye. Window cleaner normally has ammonia or alcohol and water in it, so it might attack some things that pure Future would not. A quick test on some scrap will put your mind at ease.

If you are getting bazillions of bubbles with a foam brush, practice applying it on some scrap material. Vary how much is soaked into the brush, vary application speeds and strokes, etc. until you get a feel for it. The stuff is cheap, so don't worry about wasting it! You will be able to cut 98% of the bubbles out with a little practice. What few bubbles you still get can normally be taken care of by just blowing on them.

The best part about Future is that you clean up with plain old soap and water!

I finally bought myself some Future!

Does anyone know if will attack Krylon Clear? I'd like to use it on a rocket that already got a shot of clear, but I'd like to try using the Future on it...:confused:

Jason

Short, not-so-sweet, and to the point, eh, Sandman?

Thanx!

Jason

I take that back...it is NOT to be used on bare wood or paper.

Apparently, it make paper and wood "brittle".:confused:

Don't know why you'd put it on bare wood or paper anyway.

OH yea...ya probably shouldn't drink it.

sandman

You can put it on anything that wouldn't be harmed by plain water.

I think I asked this elsewhere... but here it is again...

Can you simply put "Future" in a spray bottle and then spray it on?

Wouldn't that be the best way to apply it?

Originally posted by Steward

I think I asked this elsewhere... but here it is again...

Can you simply put "Future" in a spray bottle and then spray it on?

Wouldn't that be the best way to apply it?

Haven't tried it so I can't say for sure, but it seems to me like that might leave spots and run; it's pretty watery. Spraying it on and wiping it smooth would work, but then you might as well wipe it on and smooth it all at once.

The best way is probably through an airbrush; you don't have to thin it. You could try putting it in a pump spray bottle, but you might wind up putting on too thick a coat. As was said earlier, put some on a foam brush or a plain cloth and wipe it on. That works very well. Future levels itself out, so don't worry about streaks initially appearing. You don't want a heavy coat, just enough to cover everything. You don't get spots or runs with Future, but too heavy a coat can pool at edges. Future is very easy to work with. I have used paint brushes also, and cleaned them up with Windex.
DT

I bought a bottle this morning...wish us luck...

(In light of my recent building and finishing snafus)... LOL!!!

OK, I tried Future on my Quest Aerobee-Hi. using paper towels, and letting it dry between coats, I put on 6 coats. The rocket looks a little better, glossier, smoother. no negative affects on the slightly sparkly silver lacquer paint on the nose cone.

I guess I am not jumping up and down about it but it does make some improvement in finish. time will show if it protects the paint. I intend to fly this one a lot. D13s anyone?

(not posting any pix of before & after because the difference doesn't really show!)

Back