I am astounded at the ignorance concerning money and investing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are looking at the trees; its about the forest. Its not hamburgers, its not Coke or Pepsi, its not fries. What does the CORPORATION do?

They are a franchise organization, so they sell McDonald's restaurant franchises? I don't really know how that works. Do they make more money selling franchises or selling food product to the franchises?

They are a franchise organization, so they sell McDonald's restaurant franchises? I don't really know how that works. Do they make more money selling franchises or selling food product to the franchises?

+1

I know it's more expensive to hang a McDonald's sign over your door then any other sign.....

Teddy

Papa seagull.... I thought those tubes were my bed for when you adopt me? :p Those are beds, not cardboard tubes....

I can already imagine it... papa seagull's unconventional bedding store. :)

Very good. The investment guy I heard explained that McDonalds is essentially a real estate company. Think about it; you see little signs in nearly every fast food place you walk into that say something like this: "This McDonalds (Wendy's, Burger King, etc.) is an independently owned and operated franchise..." The parent corporations don't own these places; they sell the right to operate a restaurant to people. Those people pay a franchise fee for the option to open a restaurant where the parent company allows them to, and then they pay the parent money every month for that right. McDonalds doesn't sell food; the franchises (which they don't own) sell food. McDonalds is one of the costliest franchise licenses to purchase and they are also one of the most stringent as to where you can open a restaurant. They manage real estate and collect fees from their franchisees; that's how the corporation makes money.

You guys are looking at the trees; its about the forest. Its not hamburgers, its not Coke or Pepsi, its not fries. What does the CORPORATION do?
Leasing real-estate to franchises. I cheated -- I Googled it.

EDIT: I see that you posted the answer while I was Googling.

Very good. The investment guy I heard explained that McDonalds is essentially a real estate company. Think about it; you see little signs in nearly every fast food place you walk into that say something like this: "This McDonalds (Wendy's, Burger King, etc.) is an independently owned and operated franchise..." The parent corporations don't own these places; they sell the right to operate a restaurant to people. Those people pay a franchise fee for the option to open a restaurant where the parent company allows them to, and then they pay the parent money every month for that right. McDonalds doesn't sell food; the franchises (which they don't own) sell food. McDonalds is one of the costliest franchise licenses to purchase and they are also one of the most stringent as to where you can open a restaurant. They manage real estate and collect fees from their franchisees; that's how the corporation makes money.

Ah ha! Then they are actually slum lords!

I'm a banker and I got all the answers wrong - its ok though cos I know the government will bale me out with your cash anyway - what do I need to know about finance ? :)

I'm a banker and I got all the answers wrong - its ok though cos I know the government will bale me out with your cash anyway - what do I need to know about finance ? :)
LOL Astro-baby! I asked for wanker insurance and realized I had asked the wrong group of people...

Back