Hyperloc 835 Build (updated kit) - Level 2 kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brass rod key and switch. My beginner lathe work is showing :rolleyes:
This looks good, but my only concern would be that it only takes a little movement back out from the pin and everything is on. I usually use 2" by 3/32" cotter pins, because it's easy to attach the "Remove Before Flight" ribbons and they fit through the brass ink tubes from pens. I make sure they can extend at least a 1/2" past the point of closing/releasing the switch so if they get giggled or pulled a little everything stays off.

This looks good, but my only concern would be that it only takes a little movement back out from the pin and everything is on. I usually use 2" by 3/32" cotter pins, because it's easy to attach the "Remove Before Flight" ribbons and they fit through the brass ink tubes from pens. I make sure they can extend at least a 1/2" past the point of closing/releasing the switch so if they get giggled or pulled a little everything stays off.

You are right, I will add a feature to cover this, thank you for pointing this out :oops:. I will modify the switch today. I have some elaborate ideas but a simple approach should work.:D

Painting began...Silver nosecone (that may change), copper highlight/effect on the fins with metallic black. I have a couple cans of fusion vintage dark bronze that are still staring at me but I want something more artistic this time. ...Vinyl is still a maybe-this rocket is pretty big and I need it to make some successful flights before I get crazy.

Changed the color scheme a little but drew up a fire scheme on blue easy release tape with parchment paper for backing and then peeled off as I went around the tubing. Gold to copper fade...

Attachments

• C2536837-3998-4BF3-A060-A003C268C9EC.jpeg
    C2536837-3998-4BF3-A060-A003C268C9EC.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 176C6A21-9BF6-45C0-863B-339346CFDAE7.jpeg
    176C6A21-9BF6-45C0-863B-339346CFDAE7.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 60
Downhill, I started my 835 build a month after you and really appreciate the tips. It is finally complete. Thanks for taking the time to post!View attachment 415054
Thanks! I like your Joker theme! super cool! I am glad I helped someone-it was the biggest project I have done yet! Almost done painting then I can wait until launches start again. Did you use the original 1/8" fins? were they warped? Mine still are just slightly warped but the fiberglass really helped. I would use G10 or 1/4" in the future to avoid the thin ply warping. Thanks for checking in-don't forget to post a flight photo for us: )

Did you use the original 1/8" fins? were they warped? Mine still are just slightly warped but the fiberglass really helped. I would use G10 or 1/4" in the future to avoid the thin ply warping. Thanks for checking in-don't forget to post a flight photo for us: )
Actually yes they were. And still are ever so slightly. It wont be a problem but it's there. I glassed the body tubes and did tip to tip. The bases of the fins are perfectly aligned with the body tube but then have a little wiggle. The tips are a perfect 120° apart.

Same problem here. Straight as an arrow at the base of the fins but warped above. Tip to tip would have been easier but I tried to flatten them (per my build) but didn't use the correct epoxy so saturation was 30 min bsi, but pressed with weight and then trimmed. Then installed. It did not matter-still warped but should fly quite straight but I expect a slight to moderate roll and two fins have an ever so slight bow from mid fin to tip. First few flights will be low. Why did you glass the body tubes? Mach 1.5+? Did you have to re-slot the tubes afterwards or did you leave it off of the body tube at the fins for tip to tip?

Why did you glass the body tubes? Mach 1.5+? Did you have to re-slot the tubes afterwards or did you leave it off of the body tube at the fins for tip to tip?

I mostly glassed it to see if I could. It was my first time glassing anything but the extra durability gives me a bit of piece of mind for my L2 cert. I did have to reslot. I taped off the inside and glassed right over the slots. But since I built the can outside the BT I wasnt really worried about it. I had to extend the slots anyway. So that area has two layers. The rest has one 6 oz layer.

Very nice to see and read about your project...….. I am building my LVL 2 model. Scratch built upscale of another model. Thank you for the inspiration and information !!

Looks nice !!

cool deal, and thank you for sharing your build.

hopefully you get to fly her soon!!!!
Yes, hopefully! Our launch site has been shut down for now...lots of time for getting everything ready. I wonder if clubs will do extended hours to make up for all this. Everyone has been building :)

I mostly glassed it to see if I could. It was my first time glassing anything but the extra durability gives me a bit of piece of mind for my L2 cert. I did have to reslot. I taped off the inside and glassed right over the slots. But since I built the can outside the BT I wasnt really worried about it. I had to extend the slots anyway. So that area has two layers. The rest has one 6 oz layer.

I glassed the tubes on my L2 scratch build too Mostly for the same reason, I hadn't done it before and wanted to try. That was something I never regretted.

It came in handy later.

Maiden flight will be either an I215R or a J425R for first flight based on measured data and simulation. Both are relatively low flights for the motor (I215 just barely makes safe rail speed). The rocket weighs in at 6lbs 2.5 oz. with electronics and recovery. It will be low altitude (under 3000ft), JLCR deployment, testing two new altimeters, an RRC3 and a micropeak. I have ground tested the deployment circuits on the RRC3 successfully but have no need to use them for the first few flights.

I have not come up with them yet, only tested the computers firing function on the ground, manually. I am waiting for the 4th of July so I don't irritate/scare neighbors to do it. I also have a Stratto timer I want to combine for redundancy so I am a few steps back on that one. I have only fired ematches to ensure my battery source had enough juice.

A single use J425 will be the motor for the maiden flight. I want to stick to lower altitude so I can see deployment and the shock cord stretch out etc.

This rocket took its first flight on a J425-14 last weekend. Flawless flight! Nice easy roll on the way up (slightly warped fins) with a 30” drogue and a 60” main (jolly logic deployment). Great flight-looking forward to bigger motors now!
2793 ft (missileworks rrc2) and 322 mph. At 500ft main chute was deployed.

Attachments

• FA6A3EFD-7131-4F3A-AA74-C8E579C6FAB6.jpeg
    FA6A3EFD-7131-4F3A-AA74-C8E579C6FAB6.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 55
  • C1DD2197-2B0F-4E49-93F1-9EFE5A1E5BBC.jpeg
    C1DD2197-2B0F-4E49-93F1-9EFE5A1E5BBC.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 56
I found a momentary switch at Fry’s electronics-but it was larger than what missileworks offers. I would go with missileworks switches in the future. It works well. I will be experimenting with their screw switches soon too. Honestly for this size rocket I would prefer to use an eggtimer wifi switch (my club allows these).

Hey D! Congrats! What did you settle on for the powder charges?

I am using a DMS motor and a jolly logic first few times around. I wanted to be sure the flight was really stable as the fins (As I discuss earlier in the build) were still warped after fiberglassing and pressing them. Not really warped but I was not happy with the result. Turns out it has a nice, easy, stable roll-a really nice flier! I may use charges but keeping it simple for now. I did upgrade the rail to 10ft from 72" as a fellow member had brought one. Nice, fast lift-off. The amount for the well for the DMS motor I used, I settled on about 1.25 g for motor eject. BUT I use the supplied 1g of FFFF and .25 of my own FFF.

Congrats. Looks like a super lift-off! Good looking rocket. Glad you were able to fly it. I noticed because of the virus issue, it became about a one year project. Good-luck with future flights. Greg Olson

Congrats. Looks like a super lift-off! Good looking rocket. Glad you were able to fly it. I noticed because of the virus issue, it became about a one year project. Good-luck with future flights. Greg Olson
Thank you, Yes it did turn into a longer project than it really was :) A "K" flight is the "ultimate" goal for flights maybe LDRS someday

Had a second flight on a very still day, J425-14R to 2770 at 479mph. Excellent flight. I am thinking of a J460T next flight, maybe.

Attachments

• 1FB0FBA9-0D57-4A60-B77F-B69B540493AF.jpeg
    1FB0FBA9-0D57-4A60-B77F-B69B540493AF.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 30
I want to try this motor in my 3" Loc Iris someday. She's built Ford Tough.
J425 is my favorite 38mm motor to date. DMS, no stress of building it before flight...the iris will be a good flight

3rd flight J425, I feel good about the data. I'm going to order a J460 motor. I really like the thunder motors, they have a good rumble. Had a main chute failure due to my different fold pattern (I use a JLCR for now) with the very large Nomex blanket. Main didn't open till 8 ft. from the ground. Again, MY fault but the 30" drogue and giant Nomex blanket slowed things enough to prevent damage luckily. I normally fold my main like a veggie wrap or gyro, open at the top with relation to direction the chute will exit, this time I folded it like a burrito, completely closed and think that was my mistake. Otherwise fantastic flight! 2766 predicted, 2562 actual but I changed my angle of attack to the wind, doubling my usual ~2.5 degree offset into the wind.

Back