Hydrogen and oxygen powered rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strevortni

zxczxxxzczxzxc
Reaction score
So i have a lot of hydrogen and oxygen gas on me,and i thought,"How can i make a rocket engine with this?"
I saw how fast this stuff burns when mixed and before i blow my head off,i kinda wanna get a heads up if i'm wasting my time with this,can i have the gases stored in separate containers,and then mixed in the combustion chamber,creating a nice stable engine?

Welcome to the forum,

I'm afraid this forum is really more for hobby model (FAA class1) and high-power (FAA class 2) rocketry using commercial, and research formulated solid rocket motors and hybrid rocket engines. [Edit] What you are describing is categorized as 'Research/Experimental Rocketry' and is not openly discussed here in technical detail.

That being said, Be Extremely Careful!!!!
Having had industry experience with liquid rocket engines, I say this earnestly and wholeheartedly: If you want to do this, you have a TON of research and literature to review before you can produce a safe prototype. Hooking things up and flipping the switch seems fun, but what you have are the ingredients for an explosion.
I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you have some experience with volatile gas safety since you have quantities of H and GOx at your disposal. If you are not experienced there, that is the first place you need some learning.
In addition to industry standards for gas plumbing, GOx clean/compatible hardware etc.....you'll need to read up on injector design, thrust chamber design and dynamics, compressible gas flow, control system logic, and most importantly, System Safing.

What you describe in your last line is the basic concepts of a pressure fed liquid rocket engine: Fuel tank, oxidizer tank, combustion chamber. Between that basic concept and a working engine, is a whole lot of work, and a high risk of "blow my head off".

Please be careful out there

Last edited:
So i have a lot of hydrogen and oxygen gas on me,and i thought,"How can i make a rocket engine with this?"
I saw how fast this stuff burns when mixed and before i blow my head off,i kinda wanna get a heads up if i'm wasting my time with this,can i have the gases stored in separate containers,and then mixed in the combustion chamber,creating a nice stable engine?

upload_2020-4-6_18-12-42.jpeg

lets' shorten down the answer.

This is a very bad idea with almost no chance of creating a motor that could actually make a flyable rocket. It has a great chance of exploding, which could be dangerous and probably costly.
How about just getting some commercially available motors and just flying? Also, how about finding a club near you to do so? They can help you with our regulatory aspects.....after all, class 3 rockets just can't be flown anywhere, and require significant governmental approval......

Heh,i live in a rural area in Serbia,we can basically do anything here without disturbance from the law,anyway thanks for the advice,i guess i'll make a hybrid engine instead.
About those clubs though,the closest one i can find is in germany!

Ah! That makes things much clearer, and certainly our US laws have little bearing on your activities in Europe!

Perhaps a university near you has a propulsion or spacecraft group that may be interested in collaborating!

The book "Rocket Propulsion Elements " is a good resource.

Do be careful, and good luck

Unless you have those ingredients in liquid form the density is quite low (especially for hydrogen). You will not get the performance that you think.

Back