Hydra VII launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had reversed one set of leads I think it would’ve worked…I debated about that beforehand. Anyway it’s really salvageable because the only damage was to the upper nose/payload section. The major work parts/lower sections/fins etc. are fine! Someday maybe I’ll try again!

Nice up part, Bill! And great looking paint job! I would recommend opening up 2 more motor tubes, shouldn’t be too difficult, it’s just a fiberboard plug. This gives 3 chances for ejection. I’ve flown mine around 20 times in this configuration, always with 7 motors. Occasionally one won’t fire, but I always get deployment.

Good to know a command control will handle clustering of StarTech, I’ve used Solar, Q2G2, MJG, and Sonic, all with 12v. I used to use a 7 position clip-whip with Solar igniters, but found the other igniters more reliable, just twisting leads together. Also tried soldering extensions onto Solar, but that was a lot more work.

The video is quite entertaining, the thud is clearly audible at the end.

6D8AB4E6-33BF-4CCF-98A8-941D85C96CE6.jpeg
Well today I decided to try again for the full stack launch of my repaired Hydra VII! My launching field will probably be planted soon so I went ahead even with 10mph winds or 19mph gusts!🥹

Back