Hydra VII launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not really know quite how to connect 5 starters for the three leads on my Command Controller but went ahead with what I thought might work. I used the Estes Startech starters.

You can hear multiple ejection charges! I’m sorry about the paint question. I was having difficulties uploading. The black inside the ring is trimcote cut to fit inside…probably more difficult than painting but looks sharper.🙄

Congratulations on a successful launch.
14.4 volts really helps, doesn't it?
As far as hooking up the leads, I used the long Q2G2 igniters and twisted the leads together. But you could also wrap the short Startech leads to two curved buss wires, like two paper clips bent in a circular arc.

Yes I thought about the Q2G2 igniters but I have several of the Quest motors but no more igniters! I had 3 packs of the Startechs never opened and was surprised that they were no longer than the Solars. I clipped the white tape on the Startechs so each lead was freer and stretched each lead like I was doing a 4 cluster. Did not believe it would work but was surprised! So I had 3 twisted combo leads for the 3 clips on my command controller! Yes at 14.4 volts no problems! Estes should never have stopped making those controllers! I have another new in box for backup if I ever need! I don't even have problems with the Estes cornstarch igniters!

Had not heard of the Hydra 1. But seems to be same construction techniques. Lots of time consuming parts in these kits but a really unique and robust mod

The other 4 eject and fall to ground…probably against
There is nothing in the NAR safety code which precludes ejection of low power motors either with or without streamers. Some Estes kits currently in production still use it.

It is not allowed in NAR competition.

There may be restrictions based on local field rules so check where you fly.

I use motor ejection frequently, except when fire risk is high, but that’s a personal call.

For unvented booster tubes motor eject or plugged motors is the easiest way to go.
True. Availability of COMMERCIALLY plugged motors in various sizes and Newtons is challenging.

Do it yourself plugging is apparently easy and many people on this forum have shared their good experience. It does void your NAR insurance for those flights, and likewise usually disallowed at club launches.

In no way “plugging” one decision or the other, just important to make informed choices.

9FAB1265-112E-4957-BACE-23825B015D65.jpeg
I wasn’t really sure on exactly the igniter wiring, but since I was successful with 5 motors, maybe I could carry on with the 7😳

I had 3 leads with my command controller but the center and most important chute release motor made it different from the 5 wiring. I went ahead anyway.

Back