Hydra Step by Step...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Today I went and picked my Hydra kit up from the Depot in town and was pleased with how fast it got here . So thanks to the people at Semroc !

Right .... I'm going to post a step by step review of the kit process ( this may take some time ) , and I will add modifications that may be needed to keep this bird stable. Heres a few pics I took earlier ;)
This is strait out of the box.
-Karl

The nosecones :D great quality! Might seem a little 'fuzzy' but nothing a little sanding & sealing wont fix ;)
-Karl

The small parts which are : Eyelet , 7 Thrust Rings , 1 launch lug , 2 Elastic ShockCords , 1 Kevlar thread. Also the Decals & info decal
-Karl

I've put 3 coats of Sanding Sealer onto every balsa part in this kit , apart from the coupler. They look realy shiny and smooth , lookin' good :p
-Karl

Heres some major updates :
Marking up the dowel into 3 3" legnths.
-Karl

Cutting the Dowel using the Razor saw , again slowly......
-Karl

Heres the Main Argumentor fins , cleaned with the air-compressor to get rid of any dust , then put in a bag to keep 'um that way. The pic includes the Double/Bubble Epoxy from Dbarrm , thanks ! :D Ohh and the dowel.
-Karl

The dowel glued to the fins using Thick CA.
-Karl

Putting beads of CA along the root edge.
-Karl

All of the fins CA'd to the Argumentor tube.
-Karl

A little mod to stop the Coupler from getting burnt again......
-Karl

Sticking the Copper tape to the coupler , the side where the Screw Eye goes.
-Karl

Right now to mask up the tube & fins for the fillet.
-Karl

Thanks WiK :D

Well here we are , a batch of pictures from todays build :) Quite some work was done today!
Heres the small mod I put on the bottom of the nosecones after they where cut in half . This is to stop the ejection charges from burning them hopefully.
-Karl

Heres the first 2 motor tubes being CA'd together , the copper tape should absorb the heat from the motors.
-Karl

Back