Hybrids 2018

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's going to depend on temperature, the tank temperature, whether the motor got a full fill, and how long after that the button was pushed. You should weigh the tank before and after if you want that data.

Gerald

That's going to depend on temperature, the tank temperature, whether the motor got a full fill, and how long after that the button was pushed. You should weigh the tank before and after if you want that data.

Gerald
Would you have any idea how much the generic 20# bottle Doug use to sell weighs empty?

I have a converted #20 Co2 tank at home that is empty. Should be similar in spec to what Doug use to sell. I will weigh it this evening and post back.

20# Aluminum Catalina tanks (Doug's) weight about 24.5#.

Both of my 20# aluminum tanks with dip tubes weigh ~26 pounds empty. In a 20# tank you can typically expect to get 15-16 pounds of liquid out of them. The last little bit turns to gas unless you keep them chilled - I think I was able to extract a bit more when I got them to -20F. I typically fill mine from a 75 pound K bottle, and perform the same trick with that and chill it down to get about 70 pounds out of it.

Edward

I am posting stl files to Thiniverse for 3D printer owners that may also have the old SkyRipper Systems and would like to print their own grains. I have pulled these stl files up in CURA, a free slicer program, and they look great. If you are interested please visit Thingiverse and download the files. This link contains all three sizes (29mm, 38mm and 54mm) of stl files:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3190606

Thanks for modeling the Skyripper grains! I might have to try flying one. If I manage to get some rocket stuff done, so little time. :)

If anyone is interested, I will be posting my 38mm SkyRipper System motors and reloads in the yard sale section later this week. The motors are in great shape, and I have a couple of the gray PVC loads, and a number of the polypro reloads.

Last edited:
ON Thrustcurve, Contrail, hypertek, and RATTworks are listed as active. I do not see many resellers.

Of the 3, Contrail is the most active. I reached out to Star Rocketry, a re-seller of HyperTEK, and they have pretty much priced temselves out of reach on tanks etc... and the GSE costs are astronomical as well.

I think Contrail only sells 75mm headware now. I guess the lawsuit results is slowly killing hybrids.

I think Contrail only sells 75mm headware now. I guess the lawsuit results is slowly killing hybrids.
The lawsuit rollout was THE reason I bought the Contrail M hardware. Once the lawsuit was settled, I did use it much less. I do have one of their Ms loaded, all I need to do is press and hold the fill switch at the away cell.
I've never heard a motor scream like that Contrail M, the echo off the trees was awesome!

I see a few folks selling their hardware and a few dealers selling rattworks.

I think Contrail only sells 75mm headware now.
https://contrailrockets.net/press-release-12-1-2017/ There was a new web site from Contrail with a press release about a new injector design that had been designed by a student, but the rest of the site seems pretty bare. The old Contrail website https://contrailrockets.com/ is still up (though not updated since 2008) and has Paypal tabs for buying the full product line, but I have no idea what happens if you actually try to purchase. Pratt is their only listed dealer and practically everything there is out of stock.

So it seems Ratt is up and running but I have tried to call them several times and it just goes to voicemail. Does anyone know if they are still producing cases and reloads? I'd like to pick up a case but am hesitant about the reload supply.

Sent a 152 mm O-6300 and 3 reloads to Spain and several Universities are using the 98 mm. Austraila has been growing with constant orders in both 75 mm and 54 mm. 38 mm are huge in the student initiative program in Florida as Contrail Rockets Motors are presently the only Motor allowed as it is certified hybrid motors only. 29 mm are in box for TMT testing and are being sold as EX motors until I get them certified. So busy with orders that adding another line has been pushed back. Not TMT fault but mine. The .com website is being updated but getting pictures and descriptions of each part is my responsibility so the web designer can finish the job. Right now the .net site is filling orders for things not on my old contrailrockets.com site which has not been updated in a decade.
One of the big things is all the R&D that is going on new hardware new fuels as well as the custom work for my University student projects. The Contrail Nickel Vortex Adapter is in stock and the performance is outstanding add this to new fuels and new grain geometry and it is amazing. The 98 mm 36 inch long M-1776 mono motor is just one of many things in the R&D pipeline.
So Contrail Rockets has found a niche market of flyers worldwide who love what we build and what they fly.

Tom Sanders
928-208-5580

"29 mm are in box for TMT testing and are being sold as EX motors until I get them certified"

Nice.

The .com website is being updated but getting pictures and descriptions of each part is my responsibility so the web designer can finish the job.
Just putting some text on the front page saying that you are still in business and operating would reassure prospective buyers, though it sounds like you have plenty of business already and may not really need any more.

I have received 38 mm and 54 mm hardware and reloads from Contrail in the last year or two. I have 75 mm hardware and reloads about to arrive in the next few days. They are still well and truly in business!

Here's a photo from a recent launch of a 38mm Contrail motor with CNVA. Got 284 N-s from a 16 inch motor! Working with post combustion chambers now that promise to improve combustion efficiency and bell nozzles that deliver the same performance from a shorter nozzle.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.PNG
    IMG_3103.PNG
    357.4 KB · Views: 68
What is the nitrous volume on that motor? I've used post combustion chambers - I've found that until you get to 75mm you don't see a substantial increase. Switching injector styles from a U/C style has provided greater benefit. What is the length savings from a bell nozzle vs. conical?

Edward

Back