Hybrid Regulations

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phaar

Reaction score
I have been searching around for the regulations for hybrid usage. Well, what I came up with was very unclear. I have had some websites say 18 and some say 16. www.flyhybrids.net said:

What regulations control the use of hybrids?

NOX is a compressed gas, and is subject to any regulations that might apply to the handling of compressed gases. The commercial hybrid motors use fuel grains that are non-hazardous, usually some form of plastic. Some hybrids use a small amount of conventional solid rocket propellant as an igniter or preheater. As long as this igniter grain is under 62.5 grams, it is only subject to the same regulations as a composite model rocket motor.

How old do I have to be?

Both the national rocketry organizations (NAR and Tripoli) require that you achieve Level 1 certification to use a hybrid motor. This requires you to be at least 16 years of age.

Then, I went to the NAR site and I looked at what you must do for your level 1 certification. I may have misunderstood but it said that you must be of adult age which, I thought, was 18. Was the flyhybrids site wrong or am I just misreading it?? Can someone clear this up?

To be high power certified in either NAR or Tripoli you must be 18. The reason is that federal law requires the purchaser/owner of high power rocket motors to be legal aduts, which is 18.

Bob Krech

Originally posted by phaar
How old do I have to be?

Both the national rocketry organizations (NAR and Tripoli) require that you achieve Level 1 certification to use a hybrid motor. This requires you to be at least 16 years of age.

Then, I went to the NAR site and I looked at what you must do for your level 1 certification. I may have misunderstood but it said that you must be of adult age which, I thought, was 18. Was the flyhybrids site wrong or am I just misreading it?? Can someone clear this up?

What Bob said is correct. To fly hybrids and be covered by NAR/TRA you have to have L1, and for that you need to be 18. I believe NAR is considering an L1 certification with parental consent for less than 18, but even so, it's only under discussion.

Considering the materials involved, it doesn't seem to make sense. However, if a manufacturer were to produce a reliable LPR/MPR hybrid, submit it for NAR/TRA certification and succeed, then perhaps hybrids would be allowed without L1.

I would guess that the NAR/TRA might just alter some of this language in the next NFPA cycle. If SKyRipper Sytems does indeed come out with a G hybrid, then the NFPA rules will have to be changed to allow adults (>18) without any certification to purchase and fly these.

If SRS came out with a F size hybrid, then I would also recommend and support the NFPA rules again be changed to allow minors < 18 to purchase and use F hybrids....

I understand the safety issues involved, but we also need to lower some of these restrictions.....

Right now the way the NFPA rules are written, restricts the marketplace for small Hybrids...... these could become very popular.......I know I have been waiting for a non-HPR version ...

And if you are not a TRA/NAR member, then you fly whatever hybrid you want!

that minors can purchase N2O legally; we use it in our race cars in massive quantities!

i used to go through two 10lb tanks each weekend!
(still got 5lb in the garage...waiting...)

the fuel grain can be almost anything, but is usually paper or plastic, and is completely unregulated.

I say be safe, fly high, have fun!

Originally posted by Elapid
the fuel grain can be almost anything, but is usually paper or plastic, and is completely unregulated.

Plexiglass rod is popular because it works well, can be purchased cheaply in any quantity, comes in many diameters, cuts to length easily, and has a hole down the center. About the only thing dnagerous about it is if you leave a piece on the floor you might step on it, roll, and fall.

Well it should get more interesting since Skyripper demo'ed the G hybrid at LDRS on Tuesday.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Survivor

Back