Hurricane Jeanne

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pennsylvania is tired of them too. In my county and the two counties above and below mine thousands of homes were destroyed or damaged. I took a vacation day Monday and helped an old family friend gut their ruined house. They lost everything from the light switches down, including a finished basement with a full woodworking shop and many antiques. We filled two roll-off dumpsters with muddy, smelly possessions. Every house on three streets was ruined, in a town of about a thousand people. I had to get a tetanus booster and my arm feels like a horse kicked it.
My sons' baseball association lost all their equipment and most of the items in the concession stand. We have to raise approx. $5000.00 to replace the losses, and much more to refurbish the fields, which look like a backhoe was digging on them. Looks like we may not play this spring. :(

Hurricanes suck. I mean really, what storm is more sadistic. It just sits out there, looking at you going "I'm coming, but I'm lazy. I'm taking my time." No other storm waits a week and taunts you and zigs and zags before hitting. Whenever storms were created, the hurricane must have been that lazy one that really didn't want to be a storm, but got suckered into it.

Edward

We are getting ready for it here at Embry-Riddle. We have to be inside by 8pm tonight and can't leave until the storm has passed. I'm trying to convince my roommate that we might need food other than Pringles, Animal Crackers, and Pepsi. I think I might have to go to the store...

Originally posted by Ozymandias
We are getting ready for it here at Embry-Riddle. We have to be inside by 8pm tonight and can't leave until the storm has passed. I'm trying to convince my roommate that we might need food other than Pringles, Animal Crackers, and Pepsi. I think I might have to go to the store...

I've been through one, and my sister-in-law lives in Pensacola and still doesn't have power. You want to get yourself some good flashlight batteries, some hurricane lamps (oil lamps with the big glass thing around the top), and a LOT of bottled water.

Oh, and get yourself a bunch of small rocket kits that don't require a lot of space and don't require any power tools. You'll have some time to kill!

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
I've been through one, and my sister-in-law lives in Pensacola and still doesn't have power. You want to get yourself some good flashlight batteries, some hurricane lamps (oil lamps with the big glass thing around the top), and a LOT of bottled water.

Oh, and get yourself a bunch of small rocket kits that don't require a lot of space and don't require any power tools. You'll have some time to kill!

WW
We are set with the lighting situation. I have a couple kits I can tackle too. I think I will spend most of my time doing my homework though. We still have classes on Tuesday. :eek:

Okay. We just got back from Publix and we're all stocked up on food. I'm working on an Estes Blue Ninja as I write this so I'm good to go. Stay safe everyone.

Ya'll can send another one up here. I still have 3 trees left.

Gary<Got the chain saw blues>

Please don't send any out here. We had a couple afternoon rain squalls up in the mountains a couple weeks ago, and without any trees or bushes (they all burned last year), it caused several flash floods and mudslides!

WW

Originally posted by Ozymandias
Okay. We just got back from Publix and we're all stocked up on food. I'm working on an Estes Blue Ninja as I write this so I'm good to go. Stay safe everyone.

Spoken like a true rocketeer! :D Food, water, and.......rockets! Sounds like you're all set!

Well, I think it can be thoroughly summed up by today's St. Petersburg Times headline:

ENOUGH ALREADY!

My family made it through ok, but out entire neighborhood and my house is out of power. I'm posting this from a library, in case you're wondering. Two huge trees fell on power lines on either side of the street, and as such, the power went out at 12:26pm Sunday afternoon. :(

I'm here, barely surviving, but most all rocketry operations and TRF posting will be halted for the time being, which by a power company's estimate, will be approximately 1 week. :(:(:(

I shall return!

Jason

Not sure if you will get this but if you need anything im just an 1.5 hours south of you. Just let me know.

Dan

Originally posted by Dbarrm
Not sure if you will get this but if you need anything im just an 1.5 hours south of you. Just let me know.

Dan

Yeah, we lost power Sunday at 4am. I'm sneaking some TRF from work right now. :eek: I just hope my place has power when I get home. As is it's not looking good. The answering machine isn't picking up.

Getting ready for work via flashlight was no fun this morning! At least it was cool outside last night.

Jason, I'm with Dan on this one. If you need to escape for an evening or for the weekend you can come chill out at my place - if I have power of course. :eek:

We made it through the storm just fine here at Embry-Riddle. I'm sorry to hear that some of you weren't so lucky. Sunday was really interesting because everyone had cabin fever and was acting crazy. People were riding a shopping cart down the hall and stuff last night. It was really fun. As soon as the lockdown was lifted, all the smokers ran outside to go smoke. Now it's time to catch up on my homework. Classes resume tomorrow.

We made it through Ok down here too. I actually slept through the worst of it. We were fortunate not to lose our power though.

This HAD better be the last one this year or :kill:

If another one comes to Florida....please keep it!! I'm in south west GA, we aren't supposed to get tropical storm force winds and stuff....it's getting a little old.

Please, feel no need share ;)

Tom

Back