Hurricane Ian

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He relocated 2 of his 4 cars, and both his remaining cars got sucked out of his garage and dumped out in the street, the 2 cars shown were worth $600K dollars.
hoTpSyb.jpg

Last edited:
I just saw it flash across the TV screen that Biden said there was substantial loss of life. And just a few minutes earlier I thought they said only five people died. :questions:
Here's what NBC said:
"President Joe Biden warned that Ian could ultimately be responsible for “substantial loss of life” and could end up being the deadliest storm in the state's history."

Operative word "could".

He relocated 2 of his 4 cars, and both his remaining cars got sucked out of his garage and dumped out in the street, the 2 cars shown were worth $600K dollars.
hoTpSyb.jpg

Ya gotta wonder sometimes just what folks were thinking? A tornado, sure, but a Hurricane? It's not like there wasn't any warning.

It’s kind of crazy how this hurricane hit Florida, lost power as it crossed the peninsula, got to the other side as a tropical storm, regained power once it was back over water, and then turned back to come after South Carolina as a hurricane again.

It’s like some angry, belligerent drunk that goes into one bar and tears up the place, goes out in the alley and gets mad again, then goes into the place next door to tear that up. Go home, Ian! We’re tired of your crap!

Ya gotta wonder sometimes just what folks were thinking? A tornado, sure, but a Hurricane? It's not like there wasn't any warning.
The article said he only had time to move 2 of his 4 cars. But the question everyone is asking.... "what were the other two cars that he thought were more important?"

The article said he only had time to move 2 of his 4 cars. But the question everyone is asking.... "what were the other two cars that he thought were more important?"

The commuter and the grocery-getter. He is a very practical man.

It could have been worse... Remember that time a sinkhole opened up and swallowed a whole bunch of Corvettes?

Apparently the rain and wind even from down there is affecting me up here in NJ. My Sunday group launch just got scrubbed. Now I'm really mad. I wonder if Metra is flying tomorrow??

Nope, then cancelled as well. Darn. I guess I'm trapped in the house over this weekend. Time to build more rockets.

img_1_1664618276357~2.jpg
Yesterday, I flew my quadcopter over our house to check on the roof (it is fine). At the same time I snapped some photos of the surrounding area.

The photo above was taken from about 300' up. Most of the "lakes" you see are normally grass fields. Near the top you can spot what I have dubbed "ROCK Lake" which currently occupies the site where our local club holds it's monthly launches.

Here's a cropped version with the field highlighted.

img_2_1664618295664~2.jpg

Also yesterday, I started cleaning up our yard. While I was picking up some limbs from between our front fence and the road, a sheriff's car pulled up. The deputy asked me to be careful and pointed to a wire hanging down into a puddle near me that I had not noticed. She said that she had seen some downed wires sparking in the area. She also said that our road was closed on one end due to flooding.

That evening, my wife and I got in the car to get out of the house for the first time since Ian. Driving out the other end of our road, we drove through several areas where water was flowing across the road and saw several neighbors with flooded yards.

Again...Good-luck to all that are now cleaning up from Ian. It's just awful looking for those in Florida and the Carolina's.

Now is a good time, after the critical items are taken care of, to note what would have made things easier/more comfortable, and get them ready for the next time. :) Kind of an after action report of what went well and what didn't.

An overwhelming amount of debris now to remove. I wonder where they're going to take all of it?
Trees will be hauled moved to staging areas then taken to fields to be burned. Concrete may be used as rip rap to help fight erosion. Asphalt can be recycled for limited uses. After hurricane Opal in '95, my RC club got a deal from Okaloosa Asphalt. Putting a smooth surface on the old abandoned runway was going to run $9,000. The price came down to $3,500 when we decided to go with recycled asphalt from where US 98 was washed out between Ft. Walton Beach and Destin.

It's going to take a couple of years before the devastated area begins to return to normal.

It's going to take a couple of years before the devastated area begins to return to normal.
Just in time for the next "once-in-5000-yrs" storm.
Trust me, global warming is going to insure that Florida is almost entirely submerged within the next 20 years.

Just in time for the next "once-in-5000-yrs" storm.
Trust me, global warming is going to insure that Florida is almost entirely submerged within the next 20 years.
I just read an article of a scientist who had the computer go in and show a satellite view of the Miami area and knowing how much the water level is rising, about 2 ft every 100 years and most of Miami is going to be underwater by 2060.

Just in time for the next "once-in-5000-yrs" storm
"5000 year storm" does not mean that a storm will occur once every 5000 years. It means that there is a 1 in 5000 chance that there will be a storm of that intensity in any year. The 5000 year model is likely to based on pre-climate crisis data. Politicians are usually not expert scientist nor statisticians.

"5000 year storm" does not mean that a storm will occur once every 5000 years. It means that there is a 1 in 5000 chance that there will be a storm of that intensity in any year. The 5000 year model is likely to based on pre-climate crisis data. Politicians are usually not expert scientist nor statisticians.
Yes, well, I am getting tired of TV weathermen talking about how *every* storm is "The storm of the century". Yes, dumbass, that's the way it is going to go now as every storm has more energy than the previous storm.

Back