Hurricane Frances

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
The Redstone at the gate of KSC was blown over by Frances:

Now that is an bad picture..... I'm sure the KSC will be able to put it back together.

I hope everyone from Florida made it ok. The panhandle is next on the hit list. And Ivan!!!! Too early to tell, but this weekend may not be pretty for the southeast coast....

Our apartment complex has been without power since about 5PM yesterday evening. We left our place around 10PM and stayed over at my dad's which is about 10 miles down the road. (Thank goodness I got him this computer!) The electric company says it might be until tomorrow until power is restored. :( Overall I am still very thankful that we still have a place to go home to.

Poor Redstone..... hopefully she'll be back together soon!

Ivan took a southly dip yesterday, so Florida looks like it'll get clobbered yet again next weekend. Good news is that Ivan went down to a Cat 3, so hopefully he will continue to weaken. Stay safe guys.

From Florida Today.. https://www.floridatoday.com/blogs/northbrevard/2004/09/some-ksc-facilities-suffer-damage.htm

Some KSC facilities suffer damage; shuttles probably OK

The Vehicle Assembly Building at Kennedy Space Center lost about 40,000 square feet of surface panels in Hurricane Frances, and the shuttle tile manufacturing facility was seriously damaged, Director Jim Kennedy said today.

The tile factory's damage, which appeared to include partial roof loss, could hurt the ability to ready the shuttles for flight.

WHEW! I *finally* get a chance to report in...

My cable modem at home (along with several other electronic devices around the house) were taken out a couple of weeks ago in a horrible lightning & thunderstorm so I had to wait till this morning to get online.

I live on the east side of town (less than 30minutes drive from Titusville) but got away pretty much unscathed--we didn't even lose power! However, I am in the process of checking in with several of my club members who live in Melbourne, Palm Bay, Vero Beach, & Fort Pierce. I hope they're OK! I know the storm was particularly tough on those areas.

The length of the storm & amount of rainfall really was a test. It all took so long & just kept raining :rolleyes: And while I didn't go outside with a parachute to play in the wind like jetra2 & eugenefl, I did think about it ;)

Hope all of the other Floridian TRFers are OK too :)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...

We won't have to worry about any drought indexes for a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time around here!

In fact, I might have to work on waterproofing my rockets :eek: and invest in a LOT of skeeter repellant!

My neighbors tree looks like that redstone!

We got a lot of water and the lake is up in the backyard. Power was out everywhere and watching the neighborhood from my 3rd floor looked like a fireworks display w/tramsformers blowing all around town.

We never lost power, amazingly.

Our other neighbors lost the fence and my boat, covered and up high on the lift, had so much water blown in that the bilge pump kicked in to empty it. Horizontal rain blew a bunh of water in from the south. Busy weekend.

Now , let's get ready for Ivan!?

Hi everyone,

Well, we didn't get any damage over here in St. Pete (west coast of FL), but we did get some nice wind and rain. The really amazing part was Saturday evening when the first feeder bands started coming in. We were out at the beach, I was playing with my chute, and we can see this HUGE squall line circling around the storm, and before we know it, WHAM! 30 mph+ winds and huge raindrops pouring down in buckets! It was awesome! We then spent about an hour at a arcade place on the beach and as we were leaving and driving up a north-south street (66th for you locals) you could really really see a great feeder band. It was absolutely AMAZING! As the sun went down, you could tell the feeder bands were getting closer and closer together as the storm approached, and finally, it all turned into a single huge band of 25mph sustained with gusts to over 60 (wheee, that was fun! :)) Throughout Sunday and Monday morning, winds were constant at 35mph + and driving wind and rain. It was awesome. We did lose our cable and internet, but now it's back up.

We did have a great family friend over in Daytona Beach that lost the roof to her home and had everything below ankle level covered in water, so she'd probably lost her home :(. If ya'll would pray for her and her family, along with newly-married son and daughter-in-law, we would be thankful!

Here, Ivan Ivan Ivan, get the Texas stick, boy! :p j/k j/k. I wouldn't wish anything like Ivan on anyone. Here's to hoping it turns away!

Jason

Back