Hurricane Frances

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Still a long ways out in the Atlantic...but it's current track has it heading straight for south-central FL as a Category 4 (130-155mph winds) storm.

I wanted to share this great picture I found on the National Hurricane Center site.

20.jpg

I love watching and tracking storms! I am SO taking a meteorology course! The reason I used a 'cool' smiley is because of the picture.

Jason

That's just great. I just got here. They said if there's a hurricane they will send us all home. That's a long freakin' way for me! :mad:

It looks like Frances is headed straight towards us here at ERAU. I just looked at the most recent track forecast and it looks bad. Some people think this might be as bad, if not worse than Andrew. My mom is thinking about having me fly back to CA until school opens again. Worse yet, we might have to have Saturday classes to make up for the lost time. That's quite a bummer. I like California all we have to deal with there are the earthquakes, forrest fires, and recall elections.

Here's the most recent forecast as of 12am Wednesday.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT06/refresh/AL0604W5+GIF/010253W5.gif

Man it looks like I could get a double hit. Charlie was bad enough, I dont want to do this again with Frances. I work on an airfield so we are getting everything preped to get rid of the jets and get the runway and all the equipment ready. D.M.B. Rocketry is now closed again due to the storm and should be open again Monday.

Dan

My inlaws were here during the storm that hit the Fort Myers area. When they got home (Cape Coral) they were EXTREMELY lucky to have their apartment complex still standing. After seeing the photos of that storm, I would be heading to CA too!

Good Luck!

FS, you ever get to Cape Coral? if so let me know and we will get together.

Dan

per MSNBC today, looks like Jetra will get to experience a Hurricane...Personaly I would wait for the next one, this looks like it might be a CAT5 when it come on shore :eek:

You Floridian rocketeers be safe, and we will see you on the other side of the storm.

It'll probably drop back down to a Cat4 storm by the time it hits Florida. Still nothing to be trifled with.

One thing's for sure; its been an active hurricane season.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
That's just great. I just got here. They said if there's a hurricane they will send us all home. That's a long freakin' way for me! :mad:

Uh, did I forget to say "Welcome to Florida" when you first registered on TRF? :D

I jumped when I heard it was a CAT4. All Florida TRFers stay safe down there.

Originally posted by Dbarrm
FS, you ever get to Cape Coral? if so let me know and we will get together.

Dan

Will do. Should be next year. If you go over the Sanibel Bridge, you'llprobably see my mother in-law (toll collector) or stop in at the "University Grill" and say hi ho to John...that's her husband.
Both not your typical in-laws. very cool folks.:D

Originally posted by gothique_97
It'll probably drop back down to a Cat4 storm by the time it hits Florida. Still nothing to be trifled with.

Maybe cat 4, maybe 5. Either way, it's twice as wide as the last one to hit there. Storm swells 6 to 14 feet depending on the steepness of the shelf. The evacuate-or-batten down order has been given.

Man, this is NOT looking good. Holy cow. You know how everyone talks about California falling off the US due to earthquakes? I think Florida is going to sink into the ocean after this storm! Dang, 2 hurricanes in less than a month!

that is not looking good, looks like the Bahamas are getting hammered now, hope Frances don't get any stronger

When they said that there could be as much as a 14 or 15 foot storm surge, I commented to my wife (a FL native) that that much water would wash straight across the peninsula and come out on the other side! The highest point in the state isn't very high... (yeah, I know it's higher than 15 ft, but hey, the majority of the state would be swampland anyway had humans not drained it for various reasons...)

WW

Hey, i saw some scary footage form charley, that was only barely a CAT3 right? You all stay safe down there.

At this rate, it'll take this storm the next day or two to get across Florida.:mad:

To all Florida TRF's, stay safe.:)

BTW, Frances is curently a borderline CAT. 2/3.

Charley was a CAT 4 with 145 MPH winds when it slammed into Charlotte Harbor.

So far we're alright over here on the west coast. I figure we'll enjoy watching the storm from our living room window. :) Lot's of wind and rain spurts though!

Aw man... I was just watching the news, and it says its gonna hit Cape Caneveral and it could cause some delays in the next shuttle flight if the water leaks in! Thats no good! And it says those buildings are 40 years old and have never had a direct hit... :eek: :(

And then theres all the TRFers and everyone else that lives in Florida... thats just scary. I feel pretty lucky this time of year to live up in Maine where we are well away from all the huricanes, and hundreds and hundreds of miles away from tornado alley. :eek:

Good luck to everyone in Florida. Stay safe. :)

Originally posted by Neil
Aw man... I was just watching the news, and it says its gonna hit Cape Caneveral

It's coming ashore right now in Fort Pierce - well south of the Cape. Some of
the feeder bands were spawning (reported) funnel clouds in the Titusville area
about 45 minutes ago.

Heres a shot from the NOAA Melbourne radar.

The bad news about this storm is it's moving so-o-o-o-o sl-o-o-o-w-ly.

All the computer models are predicting this taking 20 hours or so to move
across the state. That means folks in the area are going to be hammered
overnight.

The initial winds are expected to drop to tropical storm strength by late
morning, but the real damage is going to be caused by the rains. Local
TV talking heads are predicting (depending on who you beleive) up to 20"
over the next day.

Well, I'm happy. See pic to see why!

Parachute_in_Hurr._Frances_007.jpg

This definately qualifies me as a "Flor-Idiot"!!

:D :D :D

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Well, I'm happy. See pic to see why!

This definately qualifies me as a "Flor-Idiot"!!

:D :D :D

Jason

That's OK Jason. Flor-Idiot #2 was outside doing the same thing this morning. :D :D :D

t_cup.jpg

Hey Eugenio,

instead of risking your life outside testing parashutes check your email or are you trying to ignore me ;)

EDIT: WOOHAA, that was quick :D

Originally posted by Leo
Hey Eugenio,

instead of risking your life outside testing parashutes check your email or are you trying to ignore me ;)

EDIT: WOOHAA, that was quick :D

:D Yep, I'm fast on the keyboard. ;)

Just think guys... you get about a week or so off before the next one... named Hurricane Ivan-Awful-Feeling-About-This!

Of course, it could be worse... you could be living in Japan, where they've had 3 typhoons, a volcano, AND an earthquake in the last month... Sheesh!

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
...AND an earthquake in the last month... Sheesh!

Acctaully theres been two today! The first 6.8 then a second that was 7.3 on the richter scale.

Hey Florida guys! How are you guys doing down there? Looks like Frances is moving like a slug, so she's probably raining like a champ. I hope Ivan misses you guys since the ground is gonna be soaked for weeks. However, at the moment it looks like its the Carolina's turn to be the hurricane bait. But it's still early, maybe Ivan will turn north soon and spare everyone! Here's to wishful thinking! :)

Back