Hurricane Charley

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
GREAT, Tropical Storm Charley is making a B-line straight to my house. This is not going to be a good weekend for launching.

Storm Track

Dan

And like we havent had enough rain already. The grass is going to grow a foot a day.

Dan

Originally posted by Dbarrm
And like we havent had enough rain already. The grass is going to grow a foot a day.

Dan

I totally understand where you're coming from... But whatever happened to the good ol' days when we used to just get rain for an hour or so everyday (and you could nearly set your watch to the storms rolling in at the same time)??? It's so much easier on everyone & everything than these 2+ week long droughts then a day of deluge. But I digress... :rolleyes:

YOOHOO!

We're gettin' a hurricane! We're gettin' a hurricane! Yippee! After 2+ years without one directly hitting us, I'm glad to get one...I love them! The experience is awesome!

Jason

You would think differently if you went through Andrew.

Dan

1992andy1.gif

I guess I am just all excited because I've never experienced a full-on hurricane. All I've experienced were tropical storms (pissy crap windstorm trying to pass itself off as a hurricane! :p), so I want to experience a hurricane. I know for one, if it ain't too windy...I'm sittin' outside and enjoying it...yes, I'll have my plexiglass hut up to protect me...j/k j/k. All I can do is hope that they have to close my work down because of the storm (grocery store). That would be awesome!

Jason

i was on a cruise in a hurricane.

they arent fun AT ALL.

you have no idea how sick i was... when your walking down the ships hallways and then you realize that the ship is 45 degrees slantwise you get alittle horrified :D

Originally posted by DavRedf
Anyone ever launched through the eye of a hurricane?

David

That just might make him mad... and he'll just sock it to you more ;)

Bummer. Two storms at once? Kinda reminds me of the perfect storm... except this is in the south, and the storms are parallel... but ... ... nevermind ;)

Jim, how bad and how soon do you think the storms will get to us? We'll probabily get days of rain.

Well here at Homestead AFB, Yes I work in a different town then I live. Hell different coast. We are at Hurricane Condition 3. I wonder if they know something that we dont. The Hurricane Hunter C-130's have been here for a week now.

Dan

Originally posted by jetra2
I guess I am just all excited because I've never experienced a full-on hurricane.

That would be awesome!

Jason

Dude, are you smokin' burnt motor casings? Hurricanes are no joke man. It's not like you sit there and look out your window "enjoying" a hurricane! People lose houses - or worse, their lives! I live in an apartment and flooding is NOT covered by renter's insurance. I for one would rather go down to the Museum of Science and Industry, strap my goggles on, and sit through their hurricane wind tunnel simulator. :eek: Natural disasters are not cool to watch when they involve human beings. I'm with Dan on this one...

Originally posted by jetra2
YOOHOO!

We're gettin' a hurricane! We're gettin' a hurricane! Yippee! After 2+ years without one directly hitting us, I'm glad to get one...I love them! The experience is awesome!

Jason

Somebody wrap this boy in a stupid suit and fire him out an airlock, please! LOL

Oh, and Jason, this would be a great time to go out side and test inflate that 48" parachute... :p :p :p

Sorry, couldn't resist! :)

Stay safe, guys.

We experienced Isabel here last year and, although significantly weakened, was still not fun.

Flooding. No power for days. No clean water for days. Food spoiling. No good. Not fun at all.

Originally posted by DavRedf
Anyone ever launched through the eye of a hurricane?

David

That would be kinda hard to do. We're talking sustained winds of 30-50 MPH, that would easily tip the pad over.;)

Someone please make sure jetra2 stays inside. Lock him in a bathroom or closet if you have to.;)

I don't want to read about any TRF member fatalities due to drowning.;)

You ever been in a hurricane eye donald. Its calm, Dead calm. Perfect launching weather. Blue sky, no wind. But I still wouldnt try it.

Dan

You ever been in a hurricane eye donald. Its calm, Dead calm. Perfect launching weather. Blue sky, no wind. But I still wouldnt try it.

Dan

Nope, I never actually expereinced one but I have always heard that the eye is the calmest part but I'd never drag out my stuff. With my luck, I'd be set up to launch and then have the other side of the storm pass through.

I've only experienced the tropical storms that have come through here in the past.

Jason,

For pure storm enjoyment you cannot beat a good old snow storm.

Everytime you look outside you can see how much bigger the snow drifts get.

Oh yea...NO SCHOOL for the next couple of days!:D

Break out some kits to build and hope you don't run out of glue!

sandman

Try that during the ice storm of '98. Up here in Canada (eh!) a lot of people had no power for 3 or 4 weeks. Falling trees sounding like gunshots. It was fun cuz no schoo but we had no power. No heating (thank god for our fireplace), no flush toilets, no water. People stole generators from hospitals cuz they were desperate. At least Canadians are used to cold weather. It got pretty mad in some places.l

And that horrible sound of chainsaws and generators for days will drive you nuts. Guess I'm the only guy in north west fla, huh? Sure is lonely up here.

You're right. I don't live in the city but yeah, it must get pretty loud after the cleanup

Try that during the ice storm of '98

No...I meant snow storm! Probably one of the safest "storms" to observe. Provided you're smart enought to come in before important body parts freeze.

ESPECIALLY for kids!

Adults too if they work for schools...like me!:D hehe.

sandman

Yeah, they are fun. Especially for skiers! Yeah the worst in the winter is an ice storm or a blizzard. Snow stoms are fun (up here they're just called flurries!:D) Just wanted to put in my $0.02 with some Canadian storms. :)

Ive always lived in the south except for a 4 year tour in the Uk and one winter in Michigan. Never been in a bad snow storm. But have had bad ice storms in Dallas.

Dan

You would think differently if you went through Andrew.

You'd think differently if you saw the effects of Andrew even a year later!

My wife and I drove to the Keys 14 months after Andrew cut across
southern Florida. The devastation still apparent and the slow going
reconstruction, sobering. From just north of Miami to beyond Homestead-
as far as one could see from the highway- nude trees, shopping mall buildings
with two remaining walls and floors open to the world, entire neighborhoods
where the construction crews worked in assembly line fashion (mostly waiting on
inspectors). In other areas, lots of NOTHING- due to either lack of laborers to
rebuild, or funding and the land was seemingly abandoned.

To see this stuff on the news or Discovery Channel is nothing like
witnessing it first hand.

I will never, ever have another 'hurricane party'; no matter how far away
the storm surge or how weak the winds.

About the only "advantage" to hurricanes versus any other natural disaster (at least in North America) is that you know they are coming & have a reasonable amount of time to prepare (read: get the hell outta the way!) Blizzards, floods, tornadoes, & earthquakes (did I leave anything out???) don't have that so-called benefit.

Other than that, there's nothing fun about hurricanes. I'm sure at least one person's opinion (if it hasn't already) would be changed about hurricanes if one approached his neck of the woods from the Gulf of Mexico. Not that I would ever wish that upon anyone...

Originally posted by lalligood
Blizzards, floods, tornadoes, & earthquakes (did I leave anything out???)

Tsunamis, monsoons, cyclones, water spouts, avalanches, err....friggin' the crazy kind of lightning we get in Tampa...

Back