Humidity and Painting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I just thought I would pass this along in case it helps.

I used to think that looking at the current temp and humidity was what I should use for guidelines for painting. Well, today I found out that's a good start, but where I paint also influences quality. I usually paint outside on the southeast side of the lawn where it's shady. Did you catch the problem? It's my lawn. Even though the outside humidity is low, the morning dew on the lawn is enough to haze over my Krylon. After putting on 2 coats of red in the shade, i moved the model over torwards the house and gave it one last shot. Even in the sun, probably above the temp parameters of the paint, I still got a nice gloss. Another rocket, in the shade, same paint, 3rd coat....hazed.

Moral of the Story. ..

Painting can sometimes be a pain in the grass.

John,

I screwed up a paint job today also...just too darn humid here.

sandman

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I just thought I would pass this along in case it helps.

I used to think that looking at the current temp and humidity was what I should use for guidelines for painting.

It took me about 4 tries to figure out that my gloss wasn't coming out glossy when I painted outside late at night. Humidity was condensing out of the air onto the paint job. Taking it inside to dry solved the problem with the foggy finish, but not with the noise.

The "Why did you bring that stinky thing into the house?" noise.

today was a beautiful day to paint, 70's and low humidity, my kind of weather:)
my paint jobs on my rockets, aren't the greatest, probably from painting in high humidity

Originally posted by sandman
John,

I screwed up a paint job today also...just too darn humid here.

sandman

Sandman,

All is not lost. You can usually clear up the haze by finding a low humidity day (or room) and giving it another light coat of paint or some compatible clearcoat. The solvents in the fresh coat will release the humidity trapped in the previous coat.

I've occasionally cleared out a hazed paint job by spraying on some clearcoat in the utility room. The wife pitches a fit, but sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. :D

I've heard micromister refer to a 3M polish but personally I've had awesome success with 3M Rubbing Compound. Comes in an 8oz bottle & you can find it for ~$6 in the automotive section of your local Wal-Mart & in most auto part stores.
A little dab on an old t-shirt + "elbow grease" = a very shiny rocket--no matter how cloudy the paint is. Works every time :D

Back