SOLD Huge rocket, no longer free if you pick it up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Nytrunner

Pop lugs, not drugs
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Those look like mechanical fasteners at the ring/fin joints. Maybe it disassembles?

RocketRev

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They do look removable, but the fins don't look removable.

RocketRev

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw those too. I hadn't noticed them before. But they are miniscule compared to the ones holding the ring sections to the fins. Doubtful that they're holding the fins on, but a closer look will obviously be necessary.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a university rocketry team in Louisville, Kentucky, and we've had a massive rocket sitting around in our storage area as long as any of us have been around (hasn't flown in ~10yrs). It was built and flown (unsure how many times or where) by Darryl Hankes. It's ~12ft long and ~15in min dia (unsure diameter of the large ring). It's mostly made of wood so fairly heavy, no clue what the actual weight may be. I believe the motor mount is 8in.

Unfortunately the manager of the storage area that it was in wants it gone now. I would take it in a heartbeat if I had a place to put it, but I don't. I would love for this to go to someone willing to give it another flight or two. I can make some measurements if anyone is interested to make sure it would fit your transport method.

The university technically owns the rocket but they want it gone, so if not free it would cost <$50 (paid to the university, not me). Attached are a couple pictures of the rocket. And again if anyone is interested, I would be very happy to get you more information. I hope someone here is willing to give it a new life!
Have you considered calling Estes?
I would have no idea since my buddy retired last year, but the new owners may be interested in it as a display.
Just a thought.

b1rdman

Reaction score
To everyone interested:

I'm still unsure of the exact dimensions but will update on this thread asap when I know. The rocket is currently stored in a place that I don't have permanent access to, so hopefully I'll be able to make some measurements tomorrow, but it is unavailable for pickup until early next week, maybe later.

I'm blown away by the number of people interested and am very happy that it will likely see the sky again. There are 3-4 people interested and I'm not completely sure how to decide between them, probably going to either give it to the first person to say they wanted it or do a random drawing but input is appreciated.

I'll keep everyone updated by posting on this thread. Thanks all!

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Unbelievable, both Brad and myself replied first at the same time. He only expressed interest while I said I would take it. In the spirit of our friendship I defer my chance to the Rev. If it won't fit I'll still take it

Last edited:

b1rdman

Reaction score
All,

I was able to get access to the rocket today and take measurements and got a bunch more pictures.

In inches:

Total length: 143

Body length (w/o fins): 117

Body w/o nose cone: 71

Ring fin diameter: 47.5

Ring length: 20

Body diameter: 16

Motor mount dia (ID): 8

And a bunch of pictures are attached. It seems like the ring could be disassembled from the main body but it would be tough.

Attachments

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Do you know the story behind this? Was it donated to the college by Darryl, or did this wind up landing on their property and the grounds keepers swooped it up before Darryl found it?

Does he want it back if it's the latter?

b1rdman

Reaction score
Do you know the story behind this? Was it donated to the college by Darryl, or did this wind up landing on their property and the grounds keepers swooped it up before Darryl found it?

Does he want it back if it's the latter?
I believe he donated it to us. The university is actually in the middle of the city and we have to drive an hour to launch even L1s, and one person couldn't move this rocket on their own. Darryl knows it's in our possession and if he wanted it back it would be long gone by now.

RocketRev

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are those UNI-Strut rail guides? I'm not quite getting perspective here.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure Darryl does not want it back.....several years ago he tried to give it to me along with some other beasts he was trying to unload. He had over 550 rockets and was thinning his herd.

It is a beautiful build, with great attention to detail. Both looks wise and functionality.
A great addition for anyone that wanted a wonderful office type display model or capable of flying it. Yes it has uni-strut door knob buttons.

z_wright

Reaction score
How long have you guys had this?! Those are the stickers/logo we got in 2014. I never saw this one before I left. We had a hard enough time figuring out where to put the previous year rockets before the university started hanging them up around speed. This thing looks huge!

For those asking... I would be willing to bet Darryl is not looking to get it back. If any of you have been to his house, he has way more rockets then he can launch. Hopefully this goes to someone who can put it in the sky again!

cbwho

Reaction score
It is so hard to give away stuff. It is actually easier to sell things. Should have listed it for $500 and donate the sale to the college

PayLoad

I don't do spirals
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Ya ever see something and know you want it, must have it, but the wife would kill you if you got it? This right here.....

CobraCommander

Reaction score
Looks like there are several folks in line for this but I have the means and the motive, just need the opportunity. So if anyone backs out, I’m your man.

I’m originally from Louisville and my daughter is a student at UL. I can pick the rocket up anytime between Sunday 3/14 and the following weekend.

Troy3003

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the University had a different idea on what to do with that rocket.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
Likely the university considered it university property, since it was abandoned there. That means they have to dispose of it via their normal channels, as opposed to someone being allowed to just give it away.

mrwalsh85

Reaction score
Well, that's an interesting twist. Did anyone else know it was up for auction?

cbwho

Reaction score
The university must follow protocol. Public auction is always how things like this go. It is the fair approach as well. This should not be a surprise either.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
The university must follow protocol. Public auction is always how things like this go. It is the fair approach as well. This should not be a surprise either.
This was indeed an unwelcome surprise. We were initially told this was a freebie, just come get it. Why would we even think otherwise. It went for $438 including buyers surcharge.

Last edited:

cbwho

Reaction score
This was indeed an unwelcome surprise. We were initially told this was a freebie, just come get it. Why would we even think otherwise. It went for $438 including buyers surcharge.
If someone told you your neighbor's car was free for the taking, don't be surprised when your neighbor is pissed that you are trying to jack his car!

Don't expect stuff for free. The rocket was at least worth $438...