http://www.rocketmaterials.org =advanced=

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Irvine

Reaction score
https://www.rocketmaterials.org

I would remind the good folks here that "Doc" over at rocketmaterials.org is anxious to test stuff. Yes by crushing it. Yes by stretching it. Yes by utterly destroying it!.

I favor that! :D

I have donated LOTS of materials and will donate more in the future. He may need specific items I do not readilly stock. I urge you to supply them as he is doing actual, calibrated, traceable, testing, with real data outputs and published to a website.

That just rocks.

Send this guy a Christmas Card. Tell him Jerry sent you. And thank him for adding to real, useable, DATA for materials and ASSEMBLIES.

HARD tech Jerry

Originally posted by Jerry Irvine
https://www.rocketmaterials.org

Send this guy a Christmas Card. Tell him Jerry sent you. And thank him for adding to real, useable, DATA for materials and ASSEMBLIES.

Zackly! Nothing beats real numbers. Doc does good data.

I've promised him a collection of various kevlar threads for testing. Now if I can just finish unpacking all the little stuff from the move and find it.

Thanks for the complements! I actually tested 24 tubes today. Eight groups of three, including everything from cardboard with couplers, phenolic, Quantum Tubing and even carbon fiber. The bad news is that the controller crashed and I can¡¦t retrieve the data. If I can¡¦t retrieve the data, I¡¦ll have to start all over again with half as many samples. ƒ¼

But I digress. I will test just about any HPR components or ideas. Bring ¡¥em on!

Doc

How long a piece of CF rod do you need to do a tensile test? I'm interested in knowing how much force it took to sever the boom and I restocked the supply.

Chuck

Hey Chuck!

A 4” sample would do fine. But I wouldn’t do a tensile test. I would perform a three point bend to failure. Send three samples.

Did you get that special secret mono in the air?

I've got at least 20", I'll cut it in half, or whatever it takes to get it into a priority mail envelope and send it along. I thought a tensile test because remember the conical seperation on the boom? I'm wondering how much Centrifugal force was at work to allow the weights to be pulle off. The three point bend would give the numbers for the second break after the first weight was pulled off. Maybe do both?

See the monocopter thread in this forum, the video is there. The test for chassis two went great, now it's a wait for the 'special' motor. Chassis one is parts in a bag for the science display, it's was an Air Havoc kind of flight. There are no shovel recoveries with monocopters, just a long debris field.

Here is the mess. No more wooden launch pins for me! It broke the 1/2" dowel on the first go round.

https://homepage.mac.com/wesrudy/H-mono11-7-04Lg.mov

Chuck

Chuck, this movie cured me of the itch to build a monocopter!! how's your haircut?!?!? wow!!

back on topic: rocketmaterials.org data is sure a lot of fun. I am glad to see yellow glue does so well.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. It was .org but they guy who donated the domain name dropped off the face of the earth. So when it came time for renewal I had to change it.

Something that has come up again recently is the issue of igniters/ematches spontaneously igniting due to static or other EMC. Anyone work at an EMC lab?

Originally posted by cls
Chuck, this movie cured me of the itch to build a monocopter!! how's your haircut?!?!? wow!!

back on topic: rocketmaterials.org data is sure a lot of fun. I am glad to see yellow glue does so well.

Cliff

Just a suggestion, build one of Ed Miller's kits, then upscale. He's got a solid design and building bigger off of it works well. I believe the Alien Enterprises email is:

toomanyhobbies at verizon dot net

Chuck

Back