HPR vs MPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexBruccoleri

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Are big rockets far away better than smaller rockets close up?? Fun opinion question! Edit, to clarify, I mean distance from the rocket at launch as a spectator.

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about 1500' or 30' from the launch pad. Personally I'd like to be back about 150' so I can watch the entire flight even on my lower powered rockets.

If I had to choose one from your list I'd say the later. 30' from the G motor.

Photographers are allowed to be quite close to the pads. We assume they are paying attention...

Are big rockets far away better than smaller rockets close up?? Fun opinion question! Edit, to clarify, I mean distance from the rocket at launch as a spectator.
I have grown more attracted to building smaller rockets. I will always cherish the level 3 builds, but as I age, carrying a small rocket to the pads causes me less pain and are just as enjoyable.

Photographers are allowed to be quite close to the pads. We assume they are paying attention...
I continue to hear that, but it's not true.

In NFPA 1122, NFPA 1127, or the Tripoli Unified Safety Code there is absolutely no exception to the Safe Distance rules for photographers. It's just not true. If clubs are doing this they are violating the rules and they endanger their insurance coverage.

Now, photographers who are also experienced rocketeers and members of Tripoli are often allowed to shoot from a different angle that puts them out on the range and ahead of the flight line, so they are closer then spectators, but they must still follow the Safe Distance Tables.

Better for who? For the flier, the stakes are much higher with HPR so there's more excitement. For the audience a whole day of "whoosh" makes most flights (other than yours) sorta meh either way.

At many launches, fliers and photogs can stay closer to the rocket if they want (sorry Steve, pretend you didn't read that). However, I still go back to the flight line because it's much easier to capture the liftoff and early flight on photo/video. Maybe if I was Nadine I could capture any flight perfectly from 50 ft away.

Better for who? For the flier, the stakes are much higher with HPR so there's more excitement. For the audience a whole day of "whoosh" makes most flights (other than yours) sorta meh either way.

At many launches, fliers and photogs can stay closer to the rocket if they want (sorry Steve, pretend you didn't read that). However, I still go back to the flight line because it's much easier to capture the liftoff and early flight on photo/video. Maybe if I was Nadine I could capture any flight perfectly from 50 ft away.
The question is definitely open ended though I am thinking about the flight experience. In other words, what is more exciting to watch, a large model rocket close up or a large hpr rocket far away? The rocket could be yours or someone else’s. The question does not address the design/build process. I have launched small rockets from far away to better track them, and I am sure most people have as well. Those flights were not “thrilling” to watch and more technical in my opinion.

My favorite are the larger sparky motors that you can feel in your chest. Nothing like a massive motor that pounds your chest with its sound.

Could feel these pretty well. Along with this one that was even further out though this one was a burn with no nozzle and never even got to full pressure:

I do not believe the Deuce was 1500 feet. Please look at the new rules for Red Glare and there is a discussion about it on this forum. I was at 2022 Red Glare and those flights were thrilling but I am pretty sure the away cell was closer than the minimum distance table for O motors.

Edit: The Deuce would require 2000 ft since it was complex. It definitely was not 2000 ft. A 10-20 ft tall hpr rocket at 2000 ft would be tough to even see for me, let alone feel. Note I did not feel unsafe at Red Glare nor did I even think about the distance table. I am mentioning it now since it was discussed in this forum and MDRA has adjusted their policies.

Last edited:
For me personally I get a couple hundred feet away from the pads. I've only been into the HPR/MPR hobby for a year, and in that time seen 2 CATOS on the launchpad that sent motor casing shrapnel wizzing over spectator heads. I'll keep my view as the rocket goes up and comes down. A GoPro/camera at the launch pad is safest for me, just my opinion.

Back