HPR "Tres" FlisKits Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Austin

During many various launches in 2003, I had the pleasure of watching Jim Flis launch his prototype of his "Tres", which had yet to be announced. After having good success with the Deuces Wild! 38 Special this last year, I was looking for another project to do for 2004. I began with an upscale of the Estes Cluster Bomb, which is near completion, but I still had the desire to do another FlisKits upscale. A local friend had already started an upscale of the Acme Spitfire, which was recently released for production this past fall, so it was out. Then came the Tres...it just screamed upscale!

I designed various sizes using RockSim and soon found out how much power a three motor cluster can really produce. In addition, the size of this model became mammoth when compared to some of the others...for these reasons I had to keep it scaled down to a workable size and wound up with a 2.5x version of the Tres with a 4" lower Bodytube and 3" Upper Bodytube. The model towers 105" and can be easily powered by three small H motors. I went with the 38mm Motor Mounts that were so successful on the Super Deuce and decided to build it with the option of being a Two-Stage.

Here is a Pic of the Design - <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/reviews/tres/Drawings/tres000.jpg">2.5X Upscale Tres</a>

More to come...I just wanted to get the project posted.

Carl

This week was spent entirely on the Sustainer. I am using 3" Glassed Phenolic with heavy duty 1/8" Super thick G10 Fins as this model has easily exceeded Mach in the simulations. I want it to be stout enough to hold together through the envelope. Also, I decided on a 54mm Motor Mount as it gives me the option to use the long burning motors such as the J90 and J135.

I cut some custom Centering Rings and Bulkheads for the bodytube, then cut the lower section from 3" Phenolic. The top bulkhead in the coupler for the fin can is bolt on and removable, giving way to access for the Timer wiring that is necessary for air starting the sustainer. The Timer will reside in a 2" coupler that will slide in to the top of the MMT tube...since things are tight in a 3" bodytube with a 2" MMT, this was the best solution.

I also worked on the Altimeter Bay. The bulkheads were cut, the bay was built and I made some custom Ejection Canisters. During this build, I posted a few "How To's" in the pics on building an Altimeter Bay, Cutting CR's and Adjusting the CR Cutter. Also, I included how to build an Ejection Canister Assemby for around $1 each; these canisters can hold up to 3 grams of BP, which is more than enough for up to 6" body tubes. I finished up today by completing the Ejection Canisters and placing an order with Ross at Magnum Rockets for more parts.

Here are the pics for the project so far:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=tres

Enjoy,

Carl

So it's 3x 38mm booster, 1x 54mm sustainer? Cool. Beyond cool. Dead sexy. I think the sustainer needs a radio tracking transmitter. I want video of the launch. Will the booster have its own recovery system?

Wow Carl, I was hoping you would do an upscale of the Tres and it looks amazing! Keep up the good work!

man, yer a monster! i love it! :D

I knew this was coming, but it's great to see it started and pix too. I love your photo-tours of your builds. Such detail they could be used as a tutorial!

That is amazing Carl. Can I expect to see it at NSL?

Another beaut Carl. I always enjoy your build pics. Precise and detailed.

I wonder if Carl's clone from Italy is watching. :D For those of you that didn't ever hear about this, some guy overseas was inspired by Carl's 38 Special and decided to build one for himself. See the article <a href="https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/scratch/deuces_wild_38mm.html">HERE</a>.

Nice work Carl. I can't see how you get much work done since you take so many pictures! Thanks though!

Carefull jim... You may want to wait untill carls next paycheck to release the 4 motor version of the Duece/Tres!!!!! LOL!!!! Youll make him have to sell his house and everyting in it releasing a 4 motor version! Hell feel he has to upscale it to 38MM motors, and if he decides it needs J570s, thats a good 750 worth a motors!!!!! LOL!!!!!

HOOHOHOHOOOO!!! That was my 500th post!!!! Better watch out, jim!!!! Im catching up onyou!!! (NOT!!)

J570s are only 65 each so that would be managable. 260 for a really cool high-mid L impulse

Originally posted by rocwizard
J570s are only 65 each so that would be managable. 260 for a really cool high-mid L impulse

LOL.......addition......

Ryan, yes, I can add.:kill:

I meant 260 for the eventual quad-deuce thing that Carl will inevitably upscale. ;)

Yer forgetting about the reload cases. Unless he has 3 friends he can borrow from, and alredy had one himself, it would be hundreds of dollars worth of hardware.

Thanks for the cudo's guys, this is turning into a really enjoyable project. The beauty of it is I have no money invested so far, with the exception of the Bodytubes I just ordered and a couple pieces of hardware...I just used parts laying around the shop. As far as a four motor design goes, we will have to see what the FK silo produces. Fortunately since I don't have a problem purchasing large impulse motors thru "N" class right now Neil, I don't see dollars being an issue. I have seen guys that certed though, never to fly again due to the cost of propellant...I feel blessed in that respect.

As far as flying goes, this model will not see anything larger than a four grain "I" for the booster...with that configuration, it's pushing a medium "K" with an average impulse in the 500+ newton range. It will never see a J350, 570 or anything that size as the idea is to make it fly rather than fly apart. ;)

I did a bit more work on the model yesterday. The fins were final trimmed and fitted for the thru-the-wall mounts. I also drilled and then countersunk holes for the Timer Bay retainer bolts. The holes were drilled this way so the bulkhead plate would mount flush. Today I am going to glass the upper bodytube, build one more CR and drill the CR's for the aluminum ignitor tube I purchased. This tube will allow the igniter wire to run from the motor up to the top of the Timer Bay.

Only a few more pics added- https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=tres/&startpic=70

Carl

How did you get that bit of TRF for your pictures? Is that one of the perks of being a Moderator?

Am I too late to register for "Camp Carl"? The brochure looks like SO MUCH FUN!!! If I'm not too late I'd like to register for both the Rocketry and Visual Arts electives. ;)

In a word, single word, again... AWESOME!!!!

Sign me up for camp too...

Another thought, now if we can just get Carl to start makin these special projects in doubles... one for himself and one to auction off for some type of charity, or just for the good of us fellow rocketeers that don't have the shop to build like this... :D

In other words.. I want one!!!!!!!!! LOL

Watching Carls' projects unfold reminds me of what a true "slacker" I really am.

As usual Carl your willingness to document and share your work is only surpassed by the quality of the work itself!

Carl, I can't believe I missed this thread, as your builds are among my favorites. Great job as usual!

Gus,

Your "Camp" thing cracked me up man!!! I don't know if I have all that much room but your invited. :) Thanks to everyone else and I am glad you like the projects.

As far as this project goes, we had some decisions to make this weekend. The 38mm motor mount tubes were cut to 9.25" in length so they could handle the range of motors I decided on using for the model. I decided on this size as it would be impractical to make them any longer and it would deter from the scale appearance.

I spent most of the weekend making the lower CR, getting it measured accurately and cut to the size I needed. I also cut the three triangle supports from 1/4" ply, but need to shorten them to size. I will hopefully finish the MMT assembly this week, but now have to paint a Tres Clone for my boy...more to come.

A few more pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 083.jpg

Carl

I spent tonite working on the Upper Centering ring for the Cluster...it was a job in itself. The ring had to be cut twice, as the first one had bad mark lines on it. I tried using a protractor to mark it but it wasn't exact, and wound up cutting way off.

I printed a hex star line pattern I made in Paintshop Pro...These angles would be perfect, which was necessary for the tight specs on this CR. The new CR was cut, then marked using the digital pattern. I was able to accurately cut out the MMT holes and the new CR turned out much better than the first. That's about it for now...the stress wore me out, but I am still having fun! :)

A couple more pics: <a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres%2FTres%20092.jpg">Tres Upper Cluster MMT Centering Ring Build</a>

Carl

This is really something, Carl. Very impressive!

This is the "upper" centering ring.

I want to see how you plan to cut the "lower" centering ring.

sandman

My God, man! You should be signing these things and hanging them on a wall! They're works of art, i'm tellin' ya!

really, this is a thrill to watch come together!

Originally posted by CTulanko
I spent tonite working on the Upper Centering ring for the Cluster...it was a job in itself. The ring had to be cut twice, as the first one had bad mark lines on it.
Carl

Carl? Had to cut twice? Nah...I won't believe it! :D

Very nice work thus far. As always, the level of documentation puts sawdust right in my nostril. :D I am particular interested in seeing the scale appearance of you or one of your kids holding it. This thing is going to be massive!

eugene,

Read it more carefully. He didn't make new ones 'cause they were bad...no...they just had bad LINES on them!

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
eugene,

Read it more carefully. He didn't make new ones 'cause they were bad...no...they just had bad LINES on them!

sandman

Pfft...I thought he had a crisis on his hands. Sheesh...I shoulda known better. Poorly drawn lines give Carl stress. :rolleyes: :p

Back