HPR "Tres" FlisKits Upscale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frankly, between you, me and the fence post, with all of these great projects and the level of detail on the photo documentary, you have the makings of a killer book here fella....

seriously

Carl - love the way you document your projects .
This may be a stupid question but I would like to know what the name is of the cutting tool you use in your drill press to make centering rings - is it simply called a circle cutter? I would like to find one for my shop but my local hardware store wasn't much help.

Guys, glad you like the pics...and Jim, never thought about writing...:) <b>stevem</b>, the tool I use is a circle cutter, made by General and was found at both Lowes and Home Depot. It is usually near all the other special tools like dial calipers, measuring instruments and such...all these tools are the "General" brand. They run around $8 and are worth it. McMaster Carr also sells one similar for around $15.

Tonite I finished glassing the large Booster Bodytube...it has since been trimmed and is curing. The smaller Bodytube is going to be finished this evening as I want everything ready to sand for tomorrow. <b>Eugene</b>, I took some time to show you "how I Glass" with tons of pics taken from tonite. Go here to see them:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 154.jpg

Carl

Carl - That is the best "how to" on glassing airframes that I have ever seen! I will definately bookmark this to save for future projects of mine that require glassing.

Thanks for sharing!

oh yea, that's a keeper. I've heard discussions on glassing all over TRF and other forums but never really understood what was being done and how. *now* i do :)

Carl,

Absolutely spectacular!

I'm a little too young to have experienced the Saturday morning "Cliffhanger" serials of the 50's but now I know how those kids must have felt as I wait for the next "installment".

Thanks so much.

Wow Carl, That is great fiberglassing technique. I am itching to try it out on my Magnum. What is the Resin that you use?

Originally posted by n3tjm
Wow Carl, That is great fiberglassing technique. I am itching to try it out on my Magnum. What is the Resin that you use?

You'll be itching after you try it too ;)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
You'll be itching after you try it too ;)

LMAO!:D

Great stuff Carl. I will definitely be trying out your techniques on my next project.

I'm feeling lucky today, so I'll make a bet. I'm betting that Carl is using West Systems epoxy.

Originally posted by CTulanko
<b>Eugene</b>, I took some time to show you "how I Glass" with tons of pics taken from tonite. Go here to see them:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 154.jpg

Carl

Thanks Carl! From my observations, the technique you are using here has much to do with being patient and a lot of attention to detail. In truth, those are both attributes we all strive to improve upon. In this scenario, I just could never figure out how the heck to avoid lumps and bumps in the epoxy no matter how many times I ran a "squeegee" over the surface. Two tricks I picked up here is the usage of masking tape to pick up the frays and trimming the excess once CyA tacked in place. Grrrr...those were always a big source of my frustration.

Thanks again! Those pictures should making taming the fiberglass beast much easier! :)

One of the meathods i used to avoid "lumps" in epoxy nose cones I "coincidentily" perfected working on Carl's HARM missle.

I do all my fiberglassing of nose cones "on the lathe". Thuis way as the epoxy cures i constantly rotate the item avoiding the lump of epoxy at the bottom.

No I don't turn the lathe on! I turn it by hand...although if I could get my lathe to turn at like 5 or 6 RPM that would be cool!

sandman

Guys, glad you liked the glassing pics...sure hope it helps ya all. Ken was right, I use West Systems Epoxy for building and glassing.

I did some more building yesterday by sanding most of the body tubes. I also took the time to coat the transition with a film of Epoxy. The upper sustainer fin slots were opened up and everything was left to dry overnite.

This morning, I finished sanding the bodytubes, then washing them off . Next, I worked on the transition; the Transition upper coupler was made from six inches of 3" coupler. I took my time to sand and fit the coupler so it would slide inside the Sustainer fin can easily but not too loose, as the model will use drag seperation to pull the stages apart.

Next, I cut another coupler to the same length, then slit it lengthwise and fit it inside the first coupler to "Double Wall" the assembly. The couplers were glued together, then they were glued inside the top of the transition. Excess epoxy was cleaned up and the coupler was twisted to make sure glue was dispersed inside. Finally, I checked the fit of the Transition Unit, which was just a bit loose in the 4" bodytube. The Transition will be left to cure overnite.

A few pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 191.jpg

Carl

Very nice pictures of the transition. You do some amazing work.

I figured you were using West Systems Epoxy. I would like to know what kind you use.... and where is a good place to buy the stuff.

Also, for my Magnum, what type of glass do you recommend? How much do you think I need to buy? And like the resin, where is a good place to buy it?

dude if you cant find it use Uscomposites stuff, it is great and much cheaper. If you really want the West systems you can get it at uscomposites.com too.

go with 6oz on the magnum, it will make it nice and strong, get like 5 yards of glass, that was enough for my Mission IMposibble, Sandhawk, and there is still a bunch left over.

Doug...

You can get West Systems at most boating stores...as far as cloth goes, I like Aircraft Spruce, but there are many others.

I spent the last few days getting all the parts finished and ready for assembly. The Transition coupler was sanded to fit flush against the bottom of Centering Ring Number 1 in the bottom inside of the Sustainer. I cut some full length 3.9" couplers for the Booster and doubled them up for strength.Once everything was ready, I broke out the epoxy.

The couplers were glued together, the Sustainer CR #1 was coated on the exposed side with CA to water proof it for washing and then epoxied to the 54mm MMT tube. I had to assemble the MMT and CR inside the Sustainer Bodytube, using another CR at the top to keep the MMT centered at both ends. Fins were installed to insure proper seating of CR #1. I then applied epoxy at the CR location from the inside, then slid the motor assembly over the Transition Staging Coupler. The coupler insured the CR was seated flush against the bottom of the fins ... the whole thing fit together like a puzzle but it worked.

Once the position was correct, I removed the fins and left the CR inside the BT to dry. Once dried, I pulled out the MMT with Centering ring attached...it was glued at the right position, so I applied a fillet on the bottom of it between the CR and MMT. The end of the tube was sanded with 60 grit, then I applied some JB Weld to the Slimline 54mm Retainer and the end of the MMT tube. This retainer requires you assemble it with the Rear closure/motor installed as the closure adds proper spacing for a good fit. I went with the Slimline as it was the only retension method that worked well with the current config. The Inside of the retainer was filleted with JB Weld and set off to the side to dry.

I finished the weekend by assembling both plate sets for the Sustainer Timer Bay. They were epoxied, then clamped and left overnite to set. Here are some pics of this weekend's build:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 217.jpg

Carl

Last nite I finished assembling both the Sustainer Timer Bay and the Booster Altimeter Bay. Both units were assembled and are now completed and just need wired. I also took some time to sand the excess inside coupler material flush with the outer edge for the Booster "double walled" coupler that was recently built. Finally, I glazed the top of the Booster Bulkhead and let it set over nite. Here are a few pics:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 237.jpg

Carl

The Booster and Sustainer Bulkheads were sanded, then assembled. I also did some fitting of the booster altimeter and finished the sustainer timer bay mount. A CR plate was made for this that opend up the area for wire connections and provides a route for the wiring.

I began the main construction last nite. I epoxied the igniter wire tube to the MMT, then epoxied the MMT inside the Sustainer Bodytube. I also Installed a large Stainless eye hook in the bottom of the Transition, then epoxied it inside the upper booster bodytube. I also installed the full length coupler below it using West Epoxy. I should get a lot of the building done this weekend, but at least the upper booster BT and Transition are now ready for primer.

Pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 245.jpg

Carl

Thanks for the progress report. I can't wait to see this thing finished.

You wouldn't by any chance be thinking of flying this thing in the Spring at Whitakers would you?

Dang Carl! Whaddya do? Buy the hardware store and dump it into the Super Tres?? :D :D

Looking great man! Can't wait to see it test fitted together!!

BTW, where the heck do you store all of these big rockets, and can we have a picture of the area?

Jason

Originally posted by bsexton

You wouldn't by any chance be thinking of flying this thing in the Spring at Whitakers would you?

My thoughts exactly. Not sure if this thread covers the anticipated finish date, but I'd like to see if fly at Whitakers. Heck, I'll settle for the 38 Special this April!

Guys, my goal is to launch it first at Whitakers...hopefully that can be accomplished.

I got more work done this weekend. The big job I had been avoiding was tapering the G10 fins. I do mine by hand to get it exactly like I want it and it keeps the dust down. Power tools have a tendancy to make a mess and G10 particles float in the dry winter air for a long time...Sanding by hand avoids this problem.

Each fin was shaped, then sanded on the outside with 60 grit at the bottom where they will be glassed, then 100 grit neat the end tips. Next, I tapered one side of six hardwood stakes that will sandwich the fins on the inside. Holes were also drilled in the fin base to accomidate more glue for better hold. Finally, each fin was glued in place and the unit was preped to have the stakes installed tomorrow.

In between glue drying, I worked on a project with my son, something R/C that is pretty cool...

Here are build pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 268.jpg

Carl

I got some more building accomplished today...beginning with the fin stakes. It was a messy job, but is done and the fins are in solid; still, they are going to get some glass cloth on the outside.

Once I finished the stakes, I capped them with the CR for the top of the fins, then installed the coupler against the top of this CR. It was all left to set for a few hours before I went to it again. The main CR/Bulkhead Assembly was prepped for install and I sanded the inside area with 60 grit. The unit was installed, then left a few hours again to set.

Once dried, I installed the bulkhead plate and sanded the coupler edge flush with the plate. Sharp edges were rounded to prevent cracking and I removed the plate, masking tape and MMT plug. The Stainless hardware was installed back on the Bulkhead and it was installed on the Fin Can. I took a couple pics including one assembled, minus the Nosecone. The next item is to add fillets and glass the fins, then it's off to sand, prime and paint. A few more pics:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=tres/Tres 282.jpg

Carl

Wow Carl. I really do like studying your rocket building pictures. I can imagine you fitting together a "real" rocket... but then I see the materials are wood, not aluminum...

Man, that is just amazing. And on such a clean work bench, too!!! By the way - you need more propellers, and the one bumper sticker should be changed to say "He who dies with the biggest toys...wins". You know what, buddy? You win!! lol

Loopy

Loopy...I do??? What do I win? ;)

I really do love hobbies...

Well, I spent the last few days working on other hobbies and also managed to finish the Fillets on the Tres Sustainer. I did a "How to" in the pics section to help those along that may want to see and all three fins are now done. I plan on sanding them today and maybe getting a start on glassing the fins. I already cut the 6oz cloth on a 45 degree bias and it's ready to apply.

A few more pics: https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?dir=tres/&startpic=290

Carl

Carl,

I'm impressed....VERY impressed. Just spent the last 15 minutes going through your pictures.

Are you building this thing with one hand? It seems like you have a picture of every step (A highly detailed and in-focus picture). Or do you just have a camera rigged up to your ball cap so that every time you blink the shutter goes?

You are a master craftsman...

John

Latest posts

Back