HPR photos L1-2-3 flights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I ended up going for my L1 cert last weekend at URRG in NY on 11/4. Used an Aerotech H135W-14A, odd ejection happened early but still was given the certification per rules. Theres a build thread with much more detail, flight video below.

@86mustang408w --

Your rocket was flying great until that premature ejectulation event.

Not your fault, especially on a DMS H135-W motor !

Your rocket recovered safely and from the photos of the zipper that you showed, you could have slapped on a cardboard bandaid with CA and flown again in 5-minutes so I say you deserved the 'pass' !

+1 for closest to the pad :)

-- kjh

I 'lost' this thread until I was notified of @waltr's post.

I recertified Level 2 on Nov 4 at the AARG Hutto Launch Site after a 20+ year absence.

The rocket was a 25-year old 2.9 inch Fiberglass Vulcanite Upscale made from a Hawk Mountain 'Designer Special' package ( thanks Al ).

The motor was an AT RMS 38/720 J350-W.

Dual Deployment Recovery via a Blue Raven.

I found the rocket about 2,000 feet from the pad with my trusty old Walston.

Baro Apogee: 3907 ft at 16.3 sec
Max Velocity: 577 ft/sec at 1.56 sec

Video by @bad_idea:
View attachment konrad_hambrick_l2_recert_aarg_hutto_2023-11-04.mp4

Whee, all'Y'all !

-- kjh

L3 cert flight.
Rocket: Don't Panic - Mostly Harmless (WM Ult Darkstar)
Motor: M1780NT
Weight: 47 lbs.
Alt: 6000'

View attachment 616311

In flight video:

Congratulations on your Level 3 cert @Andrew Brown !

Very nice flight and I really liked your nice, orderly drogue descent.

How long is your drogue shock cord ?

And what size is your drogue ?

Thanks for the pics !

-- kjh

Congratulations on your Level 3 cert @Andrew Brown !

Very nice flight and I really liked your nice, orderly drogue descent.

How long is your drogue shock cord ?

And what size is your drogue ?

Thanks for the pics !

-- kjh
kj, thanks for your comments. The drogue was 35' of harness with a 36" elliptical chute (from Nakka 0.707 template) with a 15% spill hole. The main used a D-bag, and after watching how graceful and orderly everything deploys, I'd really recommend one for anything large.

Congrats on the L3!

From the pic of the laundry out, you had a great deployment and flight!
How big was the pilot chute that pulled the d-bag off the main?
I've been using a 60" pilot attached to the nose cone and the d-bag and a long thin cord to from the d-bag to the top of the main. It keeps the nose cone above the main while the main drops the rest. I hadn't considered leaving the nose cone attached to the main shock cord and using just a pilot for the d-bag.
Did you do anything with how you pack things to make sure the pilot and it's cord connected to the d-bag doesn't tangle with the nose cone and the main shock cord?

Congrats on the L3!

From the pic of the laundry out, you had a great deployment and flight!
How big was the pilot chute that pulled the d-bag off the main?
I've been using a 60" pilot attached to the nose cone and the d-bag and a long thin cord to from the d-bag to the top of the main. It keeps the nose cone above the main while the main drops the rest. I hadn't considered leaving the nose cone attached to the main shock cord and using just a pilot for the d-bag.
Did you do anything with how you pack things to make sure the pilot and it's cord connected to the d-bag doesn't tangle with the nose cone and the main shock cord?
Jeff,
Thanks! I literally just followed the instructions in the first few posts of this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/demystifying-deployment-bags.144212/

The main difference from above thread is that I had a separate leader that connected from the nose to the parachute bridal rather than splicing one in to the harness. The pilot chute was a 26" elliptical chute. Yes, odd size. I made it for a different project. The leader was 5' and long enough to kick the bag and pilot out beyond the nose to prevent a tangle. A series of photos of the deployment are attached.

Attachments

• deployment.pdf
    355.6 KB · Views: 0
Jeff,
Thanks! I literally just followed the instructions in the first few posts of this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/demystifying-deployment-bags.144212/

The main difference from above thread is that I had a separate leader that connected from the nose to the parachute bridal rather than splicing one in to the harness. The pilot chute was a 26" elliptical chute. Yes, odd size. I made it for a different project. The leader was 5' and long enough to kick the bag and pilot out beyond the nose to prevent a tangle. A series of photos of the deployment are attached.
Excellent explanation. Thanks....

My set up is very similar, except I only have the end loops on my main shock cord, no center loop. One connects to the av-bay and the other to the chute bridle. There is about 100 ft. of 3/32" dacron line between the top of the chute and the inside of the d-bag. That line goes in before the chute. The line on the top of the d-bag is connected to the pilot chute by about 10 ft of line and another 3 ft. between the pilot and the nose cone. The pilot pulls the d-bag off the main and as it lifts above the main, the 100 ft. of dacron unfurls. The main is open by the time the dacron line reaches the end so there is very little pull on it. The main drops everything at about 15-17 ft/sec and the pilot drops the nose cone at about 11-13 ft/sec. It's basically a free bag set-up, except the dacron line keeps everything connected so they all land together.

Don't want to derail this photo thread, but, for a discussion on choosing a pilot chute size, I did a write up a while back in this post: https://www.mountainmanrockets.com/index.php/builds/8-inch-agm-33-pike-build/ (in the table of contents, jump down to "Choosing a pilot chute")

Here is the abbreviated version:

For these calculations, I used the military’s Parachute Recovery Systems Manual – https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA247666

For this specific discussion, let's assume we want to extract a Cert 3 XXL (which weighs about 4.5 lbs with dep bag). We need to look at the reference of pilot chute selection beginning on page 267 of the PDF. This discussion assumes you have read much of the preceding 266 pages, but, in short, it recommends a pilot chute have an extraction force of 4 times the weight of the main parachute.

The manual goes into some detailed math to calculate some of these figures, but we can assume much of what we need to worry about is going to be simple, near ground level (as opposed to calculating sub-space and high altitude forces) and nominal weather.

We need to know the dynamic pressure for the day in question, but let’s assume a normal temperature (60-70 degrees) and a generally normal weather front in the area. For this we use Bernoulli’s equation. If we are using MPH as our unit of measure, then dynamic pressure (q) for a normal day on the East Coast would be:

q = v2 / 391.2

This formula can be found on page 62 of the manual.

If we assume the rocket will be falling at about 90 MPH under drogue, the dynamic pressure would be:

q = 8100/391.2 = 20.7 lb/ft2

We can then then use this to figure out the Drag in pounds for the parachute using the formula:

D = q x S x Cd

Where S is the surface area of the chute (in square feet) and Cd is the drag coefficient.

The area for a 36″ chute is 7 sq ft and the Cd for a Fruity Chutes Iris is 2.2

So total drag for a 36″ Iris Ultra Compact Fruity Chute is:

D = 20.7 x 7 x 2.2 = 318.78 pounds

The Cert 3 XXL parachute weighs 4.5 pounds, so the rule of thumb the military would use is that it needs a pilot chute with a total extraction force of 18 pounds. This shows that a 36″ Fruity Chute parachute, with 318 pounds of drag capability (on a nominal weather day at sea level at ~90 MPH), would be more than sufficient as a pilot chute.

Last edited:
L3 cert flight.
Rocket: Don't Panic - Mostly Harmless (WM Ult Darkstar)
Motor: M1780NT
Weight: 47 lbs.
Alt: 6000'

View attachment 616309View attachment 616311

In flight video:

Great flight!! That was beautiful! Was there no wind? It seemed like it didnt drift too far

Do you have any threads talking about your shock cord/swivels/dual deploy setup? Im still deciding on doing dd or JLSR for my L2.

Congrats on the L3!!

Back