HPR at MDRA's summer launch site (Centreville MD)?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
I understand that MDRA launches from their Centreville MD site rather than the Price MD during the summer months. I've seen both now (the Price site for Steve Eves' Saturn V launch :eek: ) and I understand the Centreville site is not as large. Is it still big enough for a potential Level 3 cert flight? The web site says the waiver there is up to 16,900 feet AGL which is way more than enough. Is it big enough to handle an M flight?

The weather forecast for this Sunday (5/17/2009) is too iffy for me, and Saturday I'm tied up on the ground crew for the TARC Finals, so I'm planning for the June MDRA sport launch, which will give me a two day launch window.

Last edited:
My advice would be to contact the MDRA powers that be as they probably have a better feel than I for the history of L3-class flights at the Sod Farm. The answer probably lies in the parameters of your flight - altitude, height the mains come out etc. The site is bordered by tree lines and will be more sensitive to the wind direction than the Price field.

If its a big heavy rocket thats not going more than 4000 feet, you should be ok. However keep in mind that those tree's there are tall. ( i know from experience). If the winds are very calm, you could get away with 5000 or 6000. If the winds are going in the right direction as they sometimes are doing, you could go a bit higher.

Here are the grid coordinates:
38.999742, -76.105170

Yes, the 39th parallel runs right thru the field.

If its a big heavy rocket thats not going more than 4000 feet, you should be ok. However keep in mind that those tree's there are tall. ( i know from experience). If the winds are very calm, you could get away with 5000 or 6000. If the winds are going in the right direction as they sometimes are doing, you could go a bit higher.

Here are the grid coordinates:
38.999742, -76.105170

Yes, the 39th parallel runs right thru the field.
Size: 35 +- 5 pounds (don't have final weight yet)
Altitude on M1297W: 7500 +- 1000 feet

I will be honest and say that is a bit higher than I would launch. Another cog in the wheel is that they don't have the large trailer launch towers at the sod farm like they would at Higgs. They may bring them out for a level 3 flight.

I tell you what.... next Thursday is the MDRA meeting. I'll ask them about the launch tower and the level 3 attempt. Send me a PM next week as a reminder.

I will be honest and say that is a bit higher than I would launch. Another cog in the wheel is that they don't have the large trailer launch towers at the sod farm like they would at Higgs. They may bring them out for a level 3 flight.

I tell you what.... next Thursday is the MDRA meeting. I'll ask them about the launch tower and the level 3 attempt. Send me a PM next week as a reminder.

The launch tower is not a problem. 7500 feet is. If you can't keep it under 4-5k then you are playing with fire.

Can you afford to pay for another motor, casing, altimeters, and build another rocket after it sits in those trees 75 feet in the air? That if you find it. You put way to much time into your rocket to stick it in the trees.

I think you should come out to VAST first week in june and do it there. They have plenty of field for that.

Ben

Excuse th hi jack... I was thinking of doing an L1 cert flight at Centreville on Saturday. My rocket will reach about 1500 feet on an H128 and deploy at apogee. I've been to the sod farm a couple of times and depending on the winds I think it still might get treed. Thoughts?

Excuse th hi jack... I was thinking of doing an L1 cert flight at Centreville on Saturday. My rocket will reach about 1500 feet on an H128 and deploy at apogee. I've been to the sod farm a couple of times and depending on the winds I think it still might get treed. Thoughts?

If the winds are light or are going in right direction. I think you'll be ok. I fly a minimum diameter rocket there all the time on an H97 and never had a problem.

Watch the other flights to see where they are landing. If you want I can fly my H-97 before you fly yours to test the winds.

If the winds are light or are going in right direction. I think you'll be ok. I fly a minimum diameter rocket there all the time on an H97 and never had a problem.

Watch the other flights to see where they are landing. If you want I can fly my H-97 before you fly yours to test the winds.

Cool, thanks. Unless it's a total washout I should be there around 1:00 or so. I'll be flying a 2.9x upscale Groove Tube btw.

Last edited:
The launch tower is not a problem. 7500 feet is. If you can't keep it under 4-5k then you are playing with fire.

Can you afford to pay for another motor, casing, altimeters, and build another rocket after it sits in those trees 75 feet in the air? That if you find it. You put way to much time into your rocket to stick it in the trees.

I think you should come out to VAST first week in june and do it there. They have plenty of field for that.

Ben

I agree with Ben, the VAST (https://www.valleyaerospace.com/) field is, er, um, vast! :)
I'm still supposed to fly the ADS-B transmitter in my payload section, and we can't get the ground station down to VAST's site. I could do my L3 at VAST, but I'd need another (smaller) reload to do the payload flight at MDRA's site, and I don't have the money for that, especially since I'm in my third week being out of work.

Back