How's Hawaii for rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua F Thomas

Reaction score
I have a cousin who just turned 8, and his parents seem just fine with the idea of me introducing him to the hobby. They live in Hawaii. I'm curious if anyone can comment on particular challenges or restrictions out there, given that the islands tend to do their own things. Thanks in advance.

There are several City and county parks that are approved for model rocket flying.
Due to size only LPR is practical in these fields.
There is only one NAR sectional on Oahu and one on the Big Island (island of Hawaii).
I fly with the Hawaii Kai Rocketeers.
However due to the pandemic I have recently been launching solo.
If you would like to contact our club's head honcho then please PM me, I will be glad to forward the information.
I have been told that the club is no longer on Facebook due to privacy/security concerns.
And I would also be happy to answer any questions you may have that were not covered.
We are glad to welcome any new members.

Aloha.

There's a NAR L3CC member associated with the Oahu section.

No worries about high power, I'll probably buy him an Estes starter kit - the launch pad/controller with Alpha III set, if those are still around.

They live on Oahu - dad is a Marine officer stationed at the base. Any idea if they have restrictions due to the military airspace which I assume exists?

Don't know if there are separate rules for military dependents, but we did get permission to fly once at Kaneohe Marine Corps Air Station. They let us fly on an old unused airfield there. I believe it was called West Field. 2000 ft. ceiling IIRC.
This was several years ago, but the public is no longer allowed to go on base to fly rockets or model planes.
Tighter security restrictions. Give the base a call, they can better answer your question.
Flew a couple of 7 motor mid power clusters that day.
It was AWESOME!
:D

Thanks again for the info, I've ordered my cousin nephew an Estes starter kit with wadding and motors from the local store. He's a smart kid, I'm sure he'll have a blast building and launching. With any luck we'll have a new convert!

Hawaii Kai Rocketeers (HKR) #782 | National Association of Rocketry (nar.org)

Unfortunately due to the pandemic we haven't launched for months.
If on base launches are not allowed the closest approved park to the base would be Maunawili Neighborhood Park.
1606776447991.png

Nice big soccer field. Your nephew and his dad would have fun solo launching there.
I've launched there a few times.
Interesting story, my first time there I dropped in to the office to notify the staff that I would like to do some launches. Turns out the Groundskeeper was a former rocketeer. He gave me a Custom Equinox he found in the brush alongside the park. He had been holding on to it for months, but nobody claimed it.
Laters.

Back