Howdy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LadyKate from rec.pyro? Welcome to the forum!

Thanks to all. Since I posted that, I flew it and it was a bit underpowered - but stable. I redesigned the flying version by trimming just about everything and using vase mode for the main tubes. Rocksim says it is good so we'll see... tomorrow, I hope.

Attachments

• first flight launch.jpg
    first flight launch.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks to all. Since I posted that, I flew it and it was a bit underpowered - but stable. I redesigned the flying version by trimming just about everything and using vase mode for the main tubes. Rocksim says it is good so we'll see... tomorrow, I hope.
What have you got loaded up in there?

Put a Quest Q-jet 18mm D16 motor in it, should do better.
Agreed.

Even a C12 or C18 should improve T:W considerably, and they’re available in delays as short as 4 seconds. You’ll almost always be fighting weight with an end-burner in rockets like this.

A question regarding 3D printed rockets: Since the plastic bits are formed by melting plastic "wire" into the the pieces you want, then the plastic is heat sensitive, no? So if you build an entire rocket out of meltable plastic, doesn't the engine heat cause some distortion or melting during flight and/or ejection?

A question regarding 3D printed rockets: Since the plastic bits are formed by melting plastic "wire" into the the pieces you want, then the plastic is heat sensitive, no? So if you build an entire rocket out of meltable plastic, doesn't the engine heat cause some distortion or melting during flight and/or ejection?
Depends. I have a few PLA rockets (all printed). In most cases, the motor can is just fine - I've never had a problem with them - in 18mm size. The worst problem I've had is that when the ejection charge goes, the walls of the main tube heat up a lot. A hard landing will warp them. I'm also experimenting with vase mode and that is a lot more sensitive to heat. However, it is still only the main tube that is affected and then only on ejection of the chute. Here is a rocket that I've flown many times - all PLA - that has never had a problem:

Attachments

• Finished Rocket.jpg
    Finished Rocket.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 0
  • third flight.jpg
    third flight.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back