How was your Bonfire night?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
I noticed a big drop in the amount of fireworks going off this year,especially late at night.This was a big relief as last year was like a war zone.Don't get me wrong i like fireworks,i just hate them at 1.00am:)

Funny, I was discussing this on the phone with Starbug last night. Very few bonfires this year, most people seem to have gone in for the big display type fireworks. There just wasn't the same atmosphere (smell) the morning after.

Odd how it changes from year to year, they don't seem have been spread over such a long period of time this year either. Probably helps the 5th was a Friday.

We had our usual £10 worth of garden fireworks.

It seems to vary from area to area. I was visiting my mum last weekend, there were quite a lot of fireworks on Friday and Saturday and almost nothing on Sunday, since then apparently there have been none. All the fireworks stopped at a reasonable time too.

Back home in Bournemouth and they were still going off on the 10th and 11th.

I had a £10 Kimbolton Bronze selection box - a couple of decent fireworks in it and added on a few rockets and small Cat.3 fireworks - total about £20 - the Cat.3s were far better and helped because I picked up a buy 1 get 1 free deal and twin packs.

At approx 1830, on Friday the 5th; I thought my flat had been teleported to Falluja. I had about an hour of being in the epi-center of a 'Shock and Awe' garden-display-frenzy going on all around me, and then it fell silent.

Went to an excellent display, on the Sat night, at a local school. Not as good as the K-Lob fireworks, but i was accompanied by a very-excited 2yr old, which made up for that! :D

Same situation as Cyder around my way... I didn't get to an orgainised display but the nextdoor neighbours must have burn at least £200 worth of fireworks, their display lasted 2 hours! :D

Phil

Relatively subdued around us. After last years excess (bonfire night coinciding with my eldest son's 18th birthday), I didn't personally buy many this year, but it seemed much quieter generally.

I think Friday was busiest, with Saturday a close second. Also a few on Thursday and Sunday. Mainly, It seemed to be the big bangs that were absent, as compared with previous years.

You Brits sure are smart! You picked your fireworks holiday to be sometime when catching the world on fire isn't an imminent danger. For us, first week of July means dry fields, dry grass, dry homes, and a LOT of local fire authorities don't let people buy/sell/light off fireworks of any kind. Many townships and counties strictly prohibit even the sale of pyrotechnics.

WW

The organised display I went to was much less noisey, than normal. Much less BANGS, and more of the fizz&crackle-type pyrotechnics.

As for my neighbour's garden displays - they made as much racket as normal! :D

Originally posted by wwattles
You Brits sure are smart! You picked your fireworks holiday to be sometime when catching the world on fire isn't an imminent danger.
WW

It's also dark by about 4.30pm which means the kids can have their fun before it gets too late.
This is in contrast to the 'UKRA 200X' fireworks which are in early June and this year they started whilst it was still dusk -
(about 10.30pm wasn't it ?)

I noticed that the ammount of fires & fireworks going off had droped a awfull lot. I had about £100 worth, took it down to a field at the end of the road and had the year-ly fire & bangs.
I must agree, Kimbolton fireworks are the ones to get! Every other fireworks you can buy over here I think are just made in China with a UK label slapped accross the front.
Karl

You want to talk about a surprise! I flew into Gatwich on Saturday morning. I stopped in a grocery store to look at things and thought that it was way cool that they were selling fireworks (bottle rockets mostly) in the grocery.

There were some people just across the street from my hotel that had a huge bonfire in their backyard and were shooting them off till 1am. If a bonfire like that had gone on in Dallas, the police and fire department would be all over them within minutes.

Not what I wanted to hear after running around all day with only a couple hours of sleep, but it certainly was cool to see the fireworks going off. Very interesting reason for the celebration as well. Guy Fawkes had guts for trying what he did. At least, he had guts until he was drawn and quartered. ;)

I'm in Bath this weekend and what an unbelievable city! Absolutely beautiful. Drove down today from Birmingham. Went through Painswick. What a cool town.

Welcome to Britain Jase.

Bath looks like a cool place....I have my eye on the university there.

Bath is a nice place - a little 'cramped', but full of history. I saw Russ Abbott and Henry McGee, in Caught in the Net, at the Theatre Royal in Bath. That was VERY funny.

If your down in this next of the woods, pop through Bristol, and/or head to Cheddar George. Glastonbury is WELL worth checking out, too, if you are into ancient stuff.

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
It's not Britain, its Great Britain.

Cue Cyder...

Not All-right Britain, not OK Britain; but GREAT Britain.

...And it would be Amazing Britain, if it wasn't for timewaters like: Taxi drivers who beep their horns instead of ringing the door bell, People who get up at 6am and think they deserve a medal, Lisa Riley, People who speak as they feel and are somehow proud of the fact, Drama teachers who listen to Bjork, Script editors with AGAs who don't know how to use them, and council workers who drop litter!

Not to mention bus drivers that don't wait for people to sit down before pulling away from the bus stop, people who moan to the council about the streets being full of litter- not stopping to think that it is people who drop litter and not the council, grown men with replica shirts worn over their jumpers who stand up and stretch their arms when the opposing team fail to hit the target, a musical equipment reviewer responsible for an article titled "microphone of the month", women that describe themselves as "a little bit Bridget, a little bit Ally, a little bit sex in the city", whole walls full of teenagers spitting needlessly, amateur thugs in a camoflague jacket whose japanese fighting dogs run amok on council housing estates, men from the record companies who say that George Michael continues to challenge social taboos through his music, continuity announcers introducing comedy shows, pub bands who get uppity when everyone goes to the bar during songs they've written themsleves, groups of football fans called "comodores" as in "once, twice, three times a season who feed sugar lumps to police horses at cup finals, artists who say their next albulm will be more "song-based", journalists who try and spell an interviewees laugh, organisations who declare an awareness week for awareness weeks, and did we mention Lisa Riley?

Maybe we should ask Mr Hibbet if we could borrow his 17th century tithe barn?

Originally posted by hokkyokusei
Maybe we should ask Mr Hibbet if we could borrow his 17th century tithe barn?
Not a bad idea - now we just have to think of a name for this operation.

Originally posted by cydermaster
If your down in this next of the woods, pop through Bristol, and/or head to Cheddar George. Glastonbury is WELL worth checking out, too, if you are into ancient stuff.

Err....Cyder.....how far is that from Cheddar GORGE, then?

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

Welcome to England, Jase. We're not all nutters like Cyder & Hokky, honest.

Angela

Originally posted by Miss Riley
Welcome to England, Jase. We're not all nutters like Cyder & Hokky, honest.

I think you mis-spelled "lovable eccentrics" ;)

Welcome to England and Great Britain Jase.

Back on topic -

The b*****s are still letting off fireworks around Bournemouth, I saw 3 separate loads being fired on Saturday (13th) and 1 from my house on Sunday(14th). All fairly early evening, but can't people get a calendar!!!

Oh, and in Bournemouth and Poole we get 2 displays a week all summer provided by the council. I love to see my council tax being well spent, not wasted like most of the councills spending :D The Bournemouth displays are from the end of the pier and always have fireworks being bounced onto the water and exploding on the surface, very cool. The Poole displays are from a barge towed to different areas of the coast each week.

I saw quite a few going off on Saturday night, guess we all spoke too soon!

I used to love going to the Summer fireworks in Swanage.....saw a poster about the weekly Poole ones on a bus going down to Bournemouth.

Back