How tough can it be to fly a Monocopter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are cool flights, and then there are way cool flights :D

Right off the bat the launch lug broke so the toy took off at a 60 degree angle bounced once then cartwheeled another 5 times before it made a mess of itself. Pissah is we didn't get any idea if it could follow the flight profile, but it flew the ground profile mighty fine. ;-)

Here's what's left. Nothing is salvageable with regard tothe project.........D'oh!

Maybe you should try an all paper monocopter first. Art Applewhite has several to choose from, Last month we flew a G powered and a Micro-maxx powered, they both got about the same altitude:D Very Cool models to fly!!!

It's a science project my son has taken on, so store bought is not an option. The thing should have flown fine, it's large, but the angle of attack was made very mild. When the launch Pin breaks on the first rev and it' hits the ground on the second rev it's time to just get out of the way. The pad had done other monocopters just fine, so I had no reason to expect the pin to fail. This is a special project, which has more to it than a regular monocopter. Once everything comes together I'll post the results, I've gotta go build a new lauch pad.

Here's a slo mo of one of the other G powered wings we fly. Just so you know we're not inept. :)

https://homepage.mac.com/wesrudy/NEPRA10-04/MonoG-20Slo.mov

This thing he's working on is not normal, there are several oddities about it so there's gonna be failure before he gets it all right. The title of the thread was T I C. ;-)

Back