How to Send a PM/Conversation?

RyanD

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to figure how to send PM/Conversation and am a bit confused on how to do this. I searched around for a little while and found similar question in this forum.

This is the thread for reference - Private Message

This is the image from that thread, and you can see that they have the option to start a conversation.

Reference_Image.jpg

Below is what it looks like if I was to try and send a PM/Conversation in a similar manner.

PM_Problem.jpg

I have used TRF as a guest for several years, but have finally decided to create an account as I am interested in participating in the research and university discussion forums. Since this is a new account and this is my first post, I am guessing that my lack of user history might factor into the ability to send a PM/Conversation, although I have not read anything on the forums yet that would indicate so. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could inform me whether this is user error or possibly a bug with the site.

-Ryan

CalebJ

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Odd. I definitely have the ability to start a conversation as shown in your first image. You may have nailed the issue with your guess that it's a function of limited posts on the forum.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It is quite possible that you need to meet some activity level threshold before being allowed to start a conversation. I don't know what that is exactly. I'm sure a mod will be along soon enough to explain.

P.S. Welcome to the forum! Participating is way better than lurking. :)

tim cubbedge

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
There might be a minimum number of posts to PM as I know there is to post in yard sale.
@Angie will chime in with her book of knowledge soon enough.

RyanD

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. After I made this post I still don't have the ability to send a PM/Conversation so I'll be curious to hear of any solutions that might come up.

tim cubbedge

Staff member
Global Mod
Reaction score
Try to increase your post count. There’s a few game threads and picture threads that will do that.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Sorry I was not around to answer this sooner. Yes, there is a few posts (I would have to look to see if 3 or 5) before you can send a PM. We have done this as some clever spammers become a member and then send spam Private Messages/Conversations. to people. At least if they post before being able to send Private Conversations, we may catch them first.