How to secure loop in rubber shock cord?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
What is a good way to secure a loop in the end of a flat rubber shock cord? (The kind provided in Estes kits). I'm prepping 24 kits for a group build for 10-year-olds, and I want the rubber shock cords to have a loop at each end when they come out of the bag.

A bit of glue and then wrap with paper strip or heavy thread? Just wrap with a bit of some sort of adhesive tape? [I usually use glue and thread wrap for woven elastic shock cords.]

I'm sure a knot would work, but I'd like something a bit sleeker.

Here's my trial run on a 1/8" rubber shock cord end smearing a bit of wood glue (both inside and outside the join) and then whipping it with some heavy thread. If you squeeze it flat after it's wrapped, it doesn't look too bad:

loop.jpg

I use a bowline. Holds well elastic, rubber, kevlar, plain old rope, etc. Bowlines are a fairly compact knot, and while I like the whipped end look you got going there. I'd rather tie 48 bowlines than whip 48 loops.

86 the rubber band shock cord.
I buy elastic when I'm building something from scratch, but I see no reason not to use the rubber ones that came with the kits. They'll last longer than most of the rockets will. If one of the rockets does last more than a few years, it's trivial to replace the rubber cord as needed.

I use a bowline. Holds well elastic, rubber, kevlar, plain old rope, etc. Bowlines are a fairly compact knot, and while I like the whipped end look you got going there. I'd rather tie 48 bowlines than whip 48 loops.

Yea, It'll probably take more time than it's really worth. But I'll probably do it anyway. ;)

No harm in that. I'd test a prototype or 2 though no matter which option you settle on.

I buy elastic when I'm building something from scratch, but I see no reason not to use the rubber ones that came with the kits. They'll last longer than most of the rockets will. If one of the rockets does last more than a few years, it's trivial to replace the rubber cord as needed.
Looks great, , is the wrap just glued also??

What is a good way to secure a loop in the end of a flat rubber shock cord? (The kind provided in Estes kits). I'm prepping 24 kits for a group build for 10-year-olds, and I want the rubber shock cords to have a loop at each end when they come out of the bag.

A bit of glue and then wrap with paper strip or heavy thread? Just wrap with a bit of some sort of adhesive tape? [I usually use glue and thread wrap for woven elastic shock cords.]

I'm sure a knot would work, but I'd like something a bit sleeker.
It is probably too late to help you with the group build, but the Lefty Kreh knot is my go-to knot when I need a loop at the end of a shock cord. It won’t slip and the tag end of the line points toward the loop. The downside is it takes a fair amount of the line length to tie it unless you have tiny fingers.

https://www.101knots.com/non-slip-kreh-loop-knot.html
Another option (and very fast to tie) is to just tie a “Surgeon’s Loop” at the end of each shock cord. It is surprisingly strong for such an easy knot. You just take a “bight” of the shock cord at the end of the shock cord and tie a variation of ordinary overhand knot with it. Cut off the excess tag end when done.

https://www.101knots.com/surgeons-loop.html

Last edited:
Back