How to secure loop in rubber shock cord?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
What is a good way to secure a loop in the end of a flat rubber shock cord? (The kind provided in Estes kits). I'm prepping 24 kits for a group build for 10-year-olds, and I want the rubber shock cords to have a loop at each end when they come out of the bag.

A bit of glue and then wrap with paper strip or heavy thread? Just wrap with a bit of some sort of adhesive tape? [I usually use glue and thread wrap for woven elastic shock cords.]

I'm sure a knot would work, but I'd like something a bit sleeker.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
Here's my trial run on a 1/8" rubber shock cord end smearing a bit of wood glue (both inside and outside the join) and then whipping it with some heavy thread. If you squeeze it flat after it's wrapped, it doesn't look too bad:

loop.jpg

mjennings

Reaction score
I use a bowline. Holds well elastic, rubber, kevlar, plain old rope, etc. Bowlines are a fairly compact knot, and while I like the whipped end look you got going there. I'd rather tie 48 bowlines than whip 48 loops.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
86 the rubber band shock cord.
I buy elastic when I'm building something from scratch, but I see no reason not to use the rubber ones that came with the kits. They'll last longer than most of the rockets will. If one of the rockets does last more than a few years, it's trivial to replace the rubber cord as needed.

Grant_Edwards

Reaction score
I use a bowline. Holds well elastic, rubber, kevlar, plain old rope, etc. Bowlines are a fairly compact knot, and while I like the whipped end look you got going there. I'd rather tie 48 bowlines than whip 48 loops.
Yea, It'll probably take more time than it's really worth. But I'll probably do it anyway. ;)

mjennings

Reaction score
No harm in that. I'd test a prototype or 2 though no matter which option you settle on.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I buy elastic when I'm building something from scratch, but I see no reason not to use the rubber ones that came with the kits. They'll last longer than most of the rockets will. If one of the rockets does last more than a few years, it's trivial to replace the rubber cord as needed.
Looks great, , is the wrap just glued also??

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
Reaction score
I tie my knot then wrap fabric medical tape to keep the tails down.

Latest posts