How to Record the iPhone screen while using iFIP (Featherweight Tracker)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
iOS allows users to record their screen as a movie and then play it back on device or transfer to a computer for editing. It will record audio produced by the phone, and optionally, it can record audio picked up by the microphone. This tutorial is written for users who may be new to the iPhone – an abbreviated checklist is provided at the end for experienced users.

To get to Control Center, swipe down from upper right corner on new devices (on older devices, you may have to swipe up from bottom to open Control Center). Swipe up from bottom to close Control Center (or from top if you have an older device). I highly recommend using the flight simulation capability of the iFIP software to practice recording the screen with iFIP spoken output. (See the “Simulated flight” section of the ‘Featherweight GPS Tracker User’s Manual’.) Once you get the simulation to create screen recordings, you will have a greater degree of confidence out at the field.

Start by setting up your device for screen recording (you only need to do the following actions once at the start of a launch). These steps make sure screen recording is easily accessible, won’t stop if you don’t touch the screen, iPhone audio will be recorded, and on-screen notifications are muted while you record the screen:
  • Add the Screen Recording button to Control Center (if not already added):
    • Settings > Control Center > More Controls > Screen Recording (click the green circle with the white plus sign to add; if it’s already added, it will appear as a red circle with a minus sign)
  • Turn Display Auto-Lock off (if on, it will stop both voice output and screen recording after the indicated time elapses):
    • Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > Never
  • Make sure Mute is off - the physical switch on the side of the phone – if you can see red, it is muted, move the switch so red is not visible
  • Open the Music app and play a song to adjust volume and to make sure the music plays from the iPhone speaker. If not, open Control Center, tap the Audio Output icon (pyramid with concentric circles emanating from the top, near the upper right corner of the iPhone screen) and choose iPhone
  • If you don’t want any notifications to be recorded (such as incoming iMessage’s or emails), turn on Do Not Disturb:
    • tap the quarter moon icon in Control Center
Get ready to record:
  • Start iFIP
  • On the lower right of the screen tap the ‘More’ text, then ‘Settings’
  • You should hear “Featherweight Tracker is go for launch” in the currently selected voice
  • Slide up or down to choose a new voice - as you do, you should hear a sample of the new voice
  • IF YOU DO NOT HEAR THE VOICE, ADJUST THE VOLUME USING THE VOLUME CONTROLS UNTIL YOU HEAR THE VOICE. IF ADJUSTING THE VOLUME DOES NOT WORK, MAKE SURE MUTE IS OFF AND DOUBLE-CHECK THE AUDIO OUTPUT USING CONTROL CENTER
  • Return to the TRACK page in iFIP and make sure you have a good connection to the base station and tracker (you need to be on the track screen at start so the software can detect a launch)
Ready to launch and start recording:
  • Open Control Center
  • If you tap the Screen Recording button, it will give you a 3 count and start recording
  • If you long press the Screen Recording button (just press your finger down on the Screen Recording button for a couple of seconds) it will give you an option to turn on the iPhone microphone – tap the button to turn the microphone on and then tap ‘Start Recording’
  • The time indicator in the upper left of the iPhone screen will turn red while Screen Recording is on - as a reminder
  • Tap an empty area of the screen or swipe to close control center, open iFIP and
  • MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE TRACK PAGE - Once a launch is detected, the iFIP software will call out audible updates
    • Note: the displayed GPS data is MSL, but the audio callouts during flight are AGL (basically flight MSL altitude - launch MSL altitude)
  • Commence flight operations
  • Don’t leave the iFIP app while the rocket is in air – you can flip between TRACK and GPS and the voice should pick up once back on TRACK screen. But there is really no reason to leave the TRACK screen once the flight starts and until the rocket lands or communication is lost
  • If you close the screen (press the power button) recording will stop
  • If you tap the red indicator on the upper left of the iPhone screen recording will stop; you can also open Control Center and tap the Screen Recording button to stop recording
  • Once recording is stopped, it will be saved to your camera roll - it can take several moments before it shows up if it is a long recording
  • You can play the screen recording like a regular video, and share it to other devices
When you are done tracking and recording:
  • Use Control Center to turn Do Not Disturb off
  • Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > and choose the appropriate time interval
  • Set mute and music volume as necessary
Note: the Photos app on the iPhone has a built-in album named 'Screen Recordings' - all screen recordings can be easily found in that album

Abbreviated checklist for screen recording iFIP on iOS:
  • Add the Screen Recording button to the control center (if not already added)
  • Turn Display auto lock off
  • Turn on Do Not Disturb
  • Make sure mute is off
  • Open the music app and play a song to adjust volume
  • Start iFIP
  • On the lower right of the screen tap the ‘More’ text, then ‘Settings’ to test voice
  • IF YOU DO NOT HEAR THE VOICE, ADJUST THE VOLUME USING THE VOLUME CONTROLS UNTIL YOU HEAR THE VOICE. IF ADJUSTING THE VOLUME DOES NOT WORK, MAKE SURE MUTE IS OFF AND DOUBLE-CHECK THE AUDIO OUTPUT USING CONTROL CENTER
  • Go back to the TRACK page in iFIP and make sure you have a good connection to the base station and tracker
  • Start recording - Open Control Center - If you tap the screen recording button, it will give you a 3 count and start recording , If you long press the screen recording button you can turn on the microphone and then start recording
  • In iFIP, MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON THE TRACK PAGE - Once a launch is detected, the iFIP software will call out audible updates
  • Commence flight operations
  • Don’t leave the iFIP app while the rocket is in air
  • If you close the screen (press the power button) recording will stop
  • Or tap the red indicator in the upper left of the iPhone screen to stop screen recording
When you are done launching:
  • Use Control Center to turn Do Not Disturb off
  • Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Auto-Lock > and choose the appropriate time interval
  • Reset mute and music volume as necessary
If you find errors or omissions, please post them in this thread and I'll update the outline and PDF as needed.

Tony

Add Screen Recording to Control Center:
add-screen-recording.png

Set Auto-Lock to Never:
Never.png

Control Center overview:
Control-Center.png

Long-press Screen Recording:
Long-press.png

Attachments

• How to screen record iFIP using iOS.pdf
    518.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I tried to follow the above..but was unable to. My daughter ..who is an iPhone user..Says my phone is too old..

20211016_152632.jpg
20211016_152059.jpg
I did have a good flight 15k..I did not loose lock..like I did with my Balls flight 49K.
Tony

I tried to follow the above..but was unable to. My daughter ..who is an iPhone user..Says my phone is too old..
<pics>
I did have a good flight 15k..I did not loose lock..like I did with my Balls flight 49K.
Tony
Screen recording did not start until iOS 11, it looks like you are on version 10. That's an iPhone 5c from 2013, so you are probably stuck at that version of iOS and no screen recording. But good to hear you had a good flight. And also good to have kids to help us out with all these new fangled creations!

Tony

Screen recording did not start until iOS 11, it looks like you are on version 10. That's an iPhone 5c from 2013, so you are probably stuck at that version of iOS and no screen recording. But good to hear you had a good flight. And also good to have kids to help us out with all these new fangled creations!

Tony
Yep to all the above..

Tony

I only see one problem in your situation.

Your daughter isn't going to launches with you. :cool:

Back