How to put electronics in a bt-60 tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 32360

Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be building a multi stage rocket soon and I wanted to put an altimeter in there, so I would like to know where one should sit so it doesn't melt and stays with the rocket after the ejection charge is blown and the parachute is deployed. Will I have to glue it to a nose cone or something?
Thanks

If you are just looking for recording, like a Jolly Logic 1, 2, or 3, I have had good results just zip-tying them to the parachute rigging. You do need to have an adequate sense/vent hole in the body tube. If you don't burn the parachute or lines it should be okay for the altimeter.

I'm planning on using an Estes altimeter tracker as well as some gps tracker I'll find off Amazon. I've heard about payload bays, but don't they seal off the tube so the ejection charge can't deploy the parachute? Or is the payload bays not glued inside the tube and flies out along with the parachute?

I'm planning on using an Estes altimeter tracker as well as some gps tracker I'll find off Amazon. I've heard about payload bays, but don't they seal off the tube so the ejection charge can't deploy the parachute? Or is the payload bays not glued inside the tube and flies out along with the parachute?

Ok, FWIW ... I was gifted an Estes altimeter for Christmas couple of years ago. It's very small and light, will fit into a BT20. It has a little clip on it, and I just attach it to the nose cone loop. I flew it 4-5 times and it only worked once. (Yes, I drilled holes in my body tubes, tyvm.) I will probably keep sticking it in various rockets but if it ever works, it will just be a happy coincidence.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend it, and suggest spending a few more bucks for something better. Jolly Logic makes a small one for about $50. Altimeter One

As for your payload bay question - think of it as an extended nose cone. Your rocket separates between the bottom of the bay and aft section. So your chute is stuffed into the aft section. The payload bay carries whatever electronics (or lego people, or grasshoppers) you put in it.

IMG_20191012_161639757.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, FWIW ... I was gifted an Estes altimeter for Christmas couple of years ago. It's very small and light, will fit into a BT20. It has a little clip on it, and I just attach it to the nose cone loop. I flew it 4-5 times and it only worked once. (Yes, I drilled holes in my body tubes, tyvm.) I will probably keep sticking it in various rockets but if it ever works, it will just be a happy coincidence.
@Alan R I had the same problem with the Estes altimeter. Worked once and then the LCD screen quit working. I bought new batteries (a hard to find item) and even with a new battery it wouldn't turn on. :mad:

Back