How to make a nose cone with openrocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8823min

Reaction score
After designing with openrocket, how do you create the nose cone?
I can't seem to create a development plan.
If there is an easy way to do this other than a development, please let me know.
Also, if I can't do it with openrocket, can I do it with rocksim?

Are you talking about actually fabricating a nose after designing it? Neither OpenRocket nor RockSim help with fabrication. The old-fashioned way to make a nose would be to use wood cutting tools and sandpaper to make it by hand out of a piece of balsa wood. If you have access to a wood lathe though, that makes it much easier.

You can also buy a commercially-made wood or plastic nose, but shipping those to Japan would presumably be pretty expensive.

I've also seen videos where someone will form a nosecone to the shape they want out of hard foam (like what gets used for house insulation), and then coat it about 5 times with epoxy, and then drill out the majority of the foam, leaving the epoxy shell as the nosecone. Depending upon your build, you may not even have to drill out the foam.

Are you talking about actually fabricating a nose after designing it? Neither OpenRocket nor RockSim help with fabrication. The old-fashioned way to make a nose would be to use wood cutting tools and sandpaper to make it by hand out of a piece of balsa wood. If you have access to a wood lathe though, that makes it much easier.

You can also buy a commercially-made wood or plastic nose, but shipping those to Japan would presumably be pretty expensive.
Generating STL files for 3D printing is a feature request for OpenRocket that I hope we can incorporate at some point.

In the meantime, though, aren't there like a zillion nose cone files available on Thingaverse etc.? Unless you're looking to do something really unusual (which you couldn't have done in OR in the first place) it seems like suitable files should be readily available.

Latest posts

Back