How to hook a JL Altimeter to a nose cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't used my JL Alt3 very much yet. When I have used it, I've been a little vexed about how to attach it to a nose cone in a way that is sturdy but also easy to disconnect and move from one rocket to another. I prefer not to use a Kevlar loop, since that will leave it dangling around in the payload section. I dunno, maybe that's not something I should worry about.

A sturdy twist-tie would probably work, but I'm just checking to see if anyone out there has any particularly clever ways of doing it. The easier it is to move from rocket to rocket, the more likely I am to use it.
81E38FE0-A6C3-42C9-88FA-1C331EC258B7_1_105_c.jpeg

Y'know, initially I had expressly rejected the idea of using zip ties, but now that I think more about it they're probably the best solution. Carrying a supply of small ones in my range box along with a cutter is easy, and they're *very* quick to attach and remove. That's what I'll try next launch.

I use a kevlar loop or a large fishing swivel.
+1 to either or both of these. The first generation AltimeterOne and Two came with what was essentially a big fishing coast lock connector (but not a swivel).

I use the Kevlar loop, usually with a DinoChutes pouch, when flying one outside a dedicated payload section.

I wanted to follow up on this one... small zip ties ended up being the perfect solution. They take about a second to attach, and then another second to remove with a pair of small wire cutters. Far easier than any of the approaches I was trying. Thanks @PayLoad!

I did use a small zip tie once, broke and lost the altimeter. I've used a keychain ring many times with good success (not this one specifically, but one like it that I already had). In a raffle I won one of these, and its little kevlar cord works great (pouch is good for helping protect the altimeter from the ejection charge, also).

Ah yes, the little DinoChutes pouch. When flying an AltimeterThree in with the laundry, I use one as well, along with the supplied kevlar tether—but it looks like I already said that a few posts up.... :eek:

Back