How to get a teen interested in rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s also a fascinating projection complex where people who can’t accept that someone else might hold a contrary opinion will call others snowflakes.

Well it's not just the term "snowflakes." It's just a general trend in society where someone basically says, "I don't like what you're saying and I'm too stupid to come up with a reasonable response so I'll just call you (insert derogatory name.)"

Aaand those derogatory names I've heard are things like, snowflakes, Trumptard, Libtard...etc.

My advice....

Stop doing rocketry and start hanging around. Maybe talk loudly about trivial subjects and drive around with his friends......

One of the local members has a teen son. We'd really like to get him more interested in rocketry. He gets drug along to launches, but all he does is sit in the car and play video games on his phone. He's got kits to build, but no interest. I suggested building a kit and letting him paint/decorate it. Other ideas? Or is this just another windmill, Pancho?
Does he have a somewhat powerful pc (practically anything with a GPU tbh) at home? Because I would recommend buying him a copy of Kerbal Space Program. I'm sure you're already aware of it but it's a video game centered around designing rockets and planes and has some surprisingly realistic physics. It's a good place to start, if he likes video games then it's a good crossover between rocketry and games.

Never mind teens, I can't even get other adults interested. A few years ago, I strapped a small camera to an Estes Magician, filmed the flight and showed it to a friend. His response: "Model rockets? I think I did that with my brother when I was 9 or so. Oh, and that video made me dizzy."

FAIL.

The kids aren't interested because they think it's an adult thing and the adults aren't interested because they think it's a kid thing.

😐

Never mind teens, I can't even get other adults interested. A few years ago, I strapped a small camera to an Estes Magician, filmed the flight and showed it to a friend. His response: "Model rockets? I think I did that with my brother when I was 9 or so. Oh, and that video made me dizzy."

FAIL.

The kids aren't interested because they think it's an adult thing and the adults aren't interested because they think it's a kid thing.

😐
I’ve had pretty good reactions talking about HPR with adults. How often do you think most people hear about homebuilt rockets that go a mile high and exceed the speed of sound? Inviting somebody to attend a launch is subject to logistics concerns but mentioning rockets like this is likely to at least generate some questions.

Having some pictures handy is also a good sell. I keep photos of my girlfriend’s builds in my favorites folder, she has a way of making them pretty that I could never imitate.

I’ve had pretty good reactions talking about HPR with adults. How often do you think most people hear about homebuilt rockets that go a mile high and exceed the speed of sound? Inviting somebody to attend a launch is subject to logistics concerns but mentioning rockets like this is likely to at least generate some questions.

Having some pictures handy is also a good sell. I keep photos of my girlfriend’s builds in my favorites folder, she has a way of making them pretty that I could never imitate.
Thus far I have gotten exactly zero people (adults or kids) interested in rockets. I mean, some folks at work are mildly interested when I talk about stuff, but nothing even close to desire to go to a launch or anything. This includes folks with appropriate-aged kids. Just... nothing.

FAIL.

😐
That stinks. I know the same feeling. I know it a little too well :( But hey I have some good news on my end! My little brother (11 years old) is getting his first LOC kit. Specifically the “Lil Nuke”…He’s planning on flying it on a G106 skid. Haha it’ll definitely get haulin pretty quick. There’s a 24mm F50 skid which would be more reasonable for a first flight and let me say I figure myself lucky. We took him to URRF and saw so many launches from the away cells and lots more big stuff which I think is what got him hooked. We were expecting his rocket today in the mail with my big order but Tim said it’s being drop shipped. No big deal. We were amused by unboxing the 6” Ultimate Wildman. Haha I knew something was going on inside his head when he started messing around in the “rocket room” with all the tubes and fins we have around in boxes. He built himself a scratch built redmax which honestly looks very identical to the original thing. I knew there was a spark. Let’s hope this will be a life long hobby for the bunch of us. I wish you luck.

William

Thus far I have gotten exactly zero people (adults or kids) interested in rockets. I mean, some folks at work are mildly interested when I talk about stuff, but nothing even close to desire to go to a launch or anything. This includes folks with appropriate-aged kids. Just... nothing.
I think most of us caught the bug at a young age, in a climate conducive to its spread and presentation. It’s in the nature of the infection to become asymptomatic as conditions go out of suitable margins and return to a symptomatic state as they become suitable again.

Unsuitable conditions that have appeared or intensified for many people in the last five or six decades include urban sprawl, lack of disposable income, lack of leisure time, lack of affordable transport, high fire risk, high real estate values, de-prioritization of highly visible advances in state-sponsored space exploration, and low national confidence.

I think it depends on finding the right people. Everyone I work with enjoys things that are loud and fly. One of our retired medics and his brothers were deeply involved with rocketry too.

I was assembling an Eggtimer kit at work and one of our mechanics asked what I was working on. When I told him and mentioned the rocket I was going to put it in he said it sounded pretty cool and asked to see a video when it launches. Of course, he often has RC airplane parts on his desk that he works on too.

I just want to figure out how to keep my kid(s) interested in engineering, electronics, 3D printing, etc... Rocketry might be a means to that end (or an end to those means) but as long as they are learning something and figuring out how to solve problems and create value in the world, I am great with that.

My older one is about to get a snake -- hoping to do a bunch of electronic sensors that monitor the snake's conditions - heat, humidity, movement sensor, live camera feed, etc... and control heater, fan, lights, etc...

For making interest in rocetry we need to first introduce teens to astrology. Give them the opportunity to know the rocketry. The educational system needs to introduce rocketry very easy and simple way. On any occasion gift them rocketry and astrology-relevant accessories. Parents should involve them in rocketry-relevant knowledge.

For making interest in rocetry we need to first introduce teens to astrology. Give them the opportunity to know the rocketry. The educational system needs to introduce rocketry very easy and simple way. On any occasion gift them rocketry and astrology-relevant accessories. Parents should involve them in rocketry-relevant knowledge.
I hope you mean astronomy and not astrology.

Astrology is a pseudoscience. The apparent movements of the stars and planets have no effect on our daily lives, nor are they reliable indicators of personality, fate, or fortune.

Perhaps you mean astronomy? The actual scientific study of the heavens that overlaps with mathematics, physics, and chemistry?

Astrology is a pseudoscience. The apparent movements of the stars and planets have no effect on our daily lives, nor are they reliable indicators of personality, fate, or fortune.

Perhaps you mean astronomy? The actual scientific study of the heavens that overlaps with mathematics, physics, and chemistry?
Yes, I want to say both astronomy and astrology. Actually, I want to say they have to make interested in all unknown things like Star, Sun, moon, Mars, Sky, and Space.

When you say “astrology”, do you mean astronomy?

Just a passing thought...
When you consider what percentage of the general population our community represents, our kids probably show the same percentage as us. I didn't have the same interests as my parents did, but they encouraged and helped me with the ones I did have.
Don't take it personal. Support their interests, otherwise they may find the "wrong crowd" that will.
Soapbox/secured

Yes, I want to say both astronomy and astrology. Actually, I want to say they have to make interested in all unknown things like Star, Sun, moon, Mars, Sky, and Space.
As a kid I had a passing interest in astrology, until I came to understand that it was just a bunch of nonsense. Most smart kids should get there eventually.

Nonetheless, I would generally steer any kid (far) away from astrology, on the chance that they do *not* have the skill to distinguish fact from fantasy. Not all do.

As a TARC coach for 4 years it's hit and miss, I suggest a couple of things.

1. A foster rocket mentor (is someone who not mom or dad) parents hold their kids to certain standards (or should) a mentor takes that pressure away and allows them to be more spontaneous. Younger rocket enthusiasts can be great for this. Parents should monitor but stay out of the mix except for safety. Give them some independence.

2. Set goals and challenges like "I would like you to do 10 or 20 launches" or "Can you build a rocket and get it to 2000 feet? (The last one can be a prompt to get into the math especially a custom build) Don't be afraid to let them fail but be ready to help when they ask for it or if you see frustration has become destructive.

3. In the words of my 17 year son, "Math is the language of science." Math calculating the Center of Pressure is challenging that why most of us old farts cut out a silhouette and balance that to find CP. Collect data and determine what a motors empulse will do as far as altitude before you buy it or use it.

Come on! It's just rocket science!
Best luck, and I can't recommend TARC enough. That's teens working with teens

Back