How to get a teen interested in rocketry?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
One of the local members has a teen son. We'd really like to get him more interested in rocketry. He gets drug along to launches, but all he does is sit in the car and play video games on his phone. He's got kits to build, but no interest. I suggested building a kit and letting him paint/decorate it. Other ideas? Or is this just another windmill, Pancho?

One of the local members has a teen son. We'd really like to get him more interested in rocketry. He gets drug along to launches, but all he does is sit in the car and play video games on his phone. He's got kits to build, but no interest. I suggested building a kit and letting him paint/decorate it. Other ideas? Or is this just another windmill, Pancho?
Teens are tough. Their preferences change 4x/hour, while they think they are adults and should be treated as such. You can not "make them" do something that doesn't appeal to them (well, you can, but they will not do it well, and will slack off).

Consider adding their friends and peers to the experience. That works with my kids.
Get the kid into some kind of a "rocket team" (TARC, Scouts, anything), and they will motivate each other to keep going.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
I think the minimum size of rocket a teen would be interested in would be midpower E, F, and G motors— not kid stuff. And I would imagine anything that takes video with on-board cameras and generates potential social-media content would be a plus. But at that age, kids are defining their own interests, and if they aren’t interested, they aren’t interested.

Not sure I can help you. I have an 13 year old who is rapidly losing interest. I got him into rockets at age 9, great fun, loved it, by age 12 things were winding down. Didn't help that the kid is super lazy and won't prep his own rockets, hence my refusing to do so anymore.

Mainly he gets left home these days, sadly enough. :( Video games are a curse.

Teenagers are old enough that you need to engage them and try to find out what their interests are. For example, my wife is interested in exactly one area of rocketry--finding the rocket after touchdown. So the first step would be to talk to the teen and ask what (if anything) in rocketry they're interested in. If it's nothing, it's probably not worth forcing the issue. That's the path toward hurt feelings.

If it was me and I'd dragged the teen to the launch, I'd probably at least ask that they help with recovery and maybe taking pictures at the pad rather than just sitting in the car.

In my experience, when it comes to trying to convince a teen to like something, you have to somehow plant the idea in their head without them knowing the idea came from you.
Remember the reverse Midas principle: everything you touch turns to @&&@&. If they think it’s their idea you have a chance.

Adolescents are, as noted, tricky creatures. They’re beginning to have complex thoughts about their place in the world but they’re still learning critical communication and self-advocacy skills, which are often suppressed by hostile authoritarian environments at school, in culture at large, and (sometimes) at home.

Having recently exited my own upbringing though, and having lived with an over-controlling parent who wished to live life through me, I can’t say that being overly forceful on this matter is likely to be helpful.

I wouldn’t say that video games are a problem so much as a perceived solution. The world is immensely tiring as of late, and the folks old enough to be parents of adolescents have, as an aggregate whole, demonstrated that they don’t believe that their kids’ future is worth fighting in larger society for, and they have actively worked against what is best for their offspring. They’re modeling toxic behavior and, whether either group realizes it or not, their teens are listening and taking these cues.

In that reality, who wouldn’t want to be sucked into fantasy worlds where the set challenges are engineered to be reasonable, the social connections are plentiful, and grinding actually can accomplish a worthwhile objective?

Rockets are fun, but the demands of the world and the evolution of culture will seep into the mindset of youth and young adults. Nobody is immune to the pressure, even under the best of circumstances that can realistically be presented.

The takeaway I’d present here is that at some point, there may have to be a calculated decision to let him drift and stop bringing him to the range if he does not want to be there. Try a few strategies presented here like inviting out a few of his friends, if that sounds doable, but know that respecting his wishes may be the endgame.

You can lead to water, but keep from dying of thirst.
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice...........
Um.............
What was the question?

Remember when you were a kid and your parents tried to get you to learn (fill in the blank).
(piano, violin, foreign language, whatever)
If he's not interested, he's not interested.
Teens tend to follow what their friends are doing.
I remember when I was 13: did model rocketry, loved it.
When I entered high school I stopped doing the "kid stuff".
Girls, rock and roll, long hair, fitting in.
It's all about fitting in.

Maybe try mixing in electronics (like datalogging altimeter, GPS or similar) and make it somewhat of a game? Maybe see if he was interested in Openrocket?

Otherwise, possibly try a spot landing competition. Not a real, official NAR contest, just plant a flag and keep trying to fly rockets and land near it.

Last one is similar to another suggestion related to friends. See if one or two of his friends might have an interest next time they are over at the house.

Its really hard to say, as I really was interested, so I'm not sure if any of that would help someone who wasn't. . .

Sandy.

I teach college age kids (freshman and older) and my first homework for them asks them what they are passionate about. It is amazing how many students cannot answer this question effectively. Many have a few things they do to burn time (video games, social media, movies, even working out) but no real passions or interests. They have also never been asked this question or been encouraged to explore this.

The bigger and more important question is how do you help a kid find their passions - to find what they are really good at and what they love. It may be videos games -- if he wants to create them. Help him figure out what he is passionate about and get him to stop wasting time on things that can easily suck up thousands of hours (like video games, social media, etc...). Some of this is about trying new things but lots of it is about encouraging them to dig deeper into their interests.

My kids are so-so about rockets. However, what gets my older one excited is doing 3D design in Blender or TinkerCad, or designing circuits for Arduino, and he is also somewhat interested in the simulation software like OpenRocket. My younger one gets excited if he can design a rocket as something he really likes -- a dragon for example.

EDIT: That last point / paragraph is that if you can find some aspect of rocketry that is close to something that they really enjoy then that may be the hook to get them excited.

Last edited:
Get the kid to put the "game console" / phone down and then see what they are interested in... human interaction may be difficult for a teen that was raised on a phone. However, I have found that one on one instruction on how to do things is often appreciated by teens. Asking them questions so they have chance to talk about what they are interested in helps too.

I work with a rocket club at a high school and this has been my experience.

One of the local members has a teen son. We'd really like to get him more interested in rocketry. He gets drug along to launches, but all he does is sit in the car and play video games on his phone. He's got kits to build, but no interest.

Not sure I can help you. I have an 13 year old who is rapidly losing interest. I got him into rockets at age 9, great fun, loved it, by age 12 things were winding down. Didn't help that the kid is super lazy and won't prep his own rockets, hence my refusing to do so anymore.

Mainly he gets left home these days, sadly enough. :( Video games are a curse.

Bottom line . . . A lack of a "traditional upbringing" is the culprit here. Parents have allowed schools and the "system" to raise their children. Social media has now "picked up the slack", when kids are not in school. Kids are being taught that their parent's way of thinking is wrong and "common core math" reinforces that, by making their parents "look stupid". In short, the breakdown of the "traditional family" and values are responsible. I know this, from personal experience, with my grandchildren.

Dave F.

Maybe the teen is trying to give you a hint if they are being "drug" to launches. They're not interested. I would suggest finding another activity.

I know this may come as a shock but not everyone is going to find rocketry as interesting as we do.
Coming from someone close to this age range (I'm 22 now), this is the answer. Constantly hounding them and dragging them along is only going to make them hate it more and likely never want to be involved. Bring them along a time or two to show them but don't drag them every time if they aren't interested.

Let's get real about this. What's the one thing you hear from many male
"born-again" rocketeers? Let me tell you: Many dropped out of model rocketry during their high school years due to a budding interest in girls and cars. Duh!

Great point, although I stopped with model rocketry in middle school.

@Sooner Boomer, it's too late now for your friend to try this. But for others with teens, here are ways to generate interest:

1 - Make them think rockets are illegal or immoral.
2 - Strictly forbid them to watch YouTube videos about them because they're too dangerous.
3 - "No, you're not old enough"

otherwise:
Constantly hounding them and dragging them along is only going to make them hate it more and likely never want to be involved.

Just let it go.

Girls? Maybe. I didn't bother in high school but I can see why others might. Cars? I have never understood why anyone would be more impressed with a car than a rocket.

More seriously though, I agree with the posters above that if a teenager is not interested, you're probably better off not dragging him to launches. It's only going to increase resentment.

I also think that doing rockets one on one with dad may be far less intimidating and annoying than joining a bunch of old guys at a club launch to talk about and launch rockets.

It may be easier to get them into KSP ( kerbal space program ) and from there maybe they'll get back into rocketry. My kids aren't that into rocketry ( 10 and 12 ) granted i had them trudging all over Kansas with me at the last AirFest so that could be my fault haha. I do plan on coaching a TARC team this year at my 12 year old's middle school. He seems OK, at best, with that lol.

Girls? Maybe. I didn't bother in high school but I can see why others might. Cars? I have never understood why anyone would be more impressed with a car than a rocket.
"Back in the day" ( 1970's - 1980's ) cars were integral to attracting girls ( in South Florida, at least ). I used to drag race and do a LOT of street racing and that "bad boy" image worked wonders. Of course, I wasn't trying to attract "church girls" . . . LOL !

Girls, back then, tended to view Rocketeers, as "Geeks", "Nerds", and/or "Eggheads", so Rocketry was not the primary focus !

Dave F.

1653403827651.png

Last edited:
I also think that doing rockets one on one with dad may be far less intimidating and annoying than joining a bunch of old guys at a club launch to talk about and launch rockets.

This is surely true. My kids didn't seem to mind being around the other guys at launches because they were with me, and back then, they still thought that I was cool. Now that they have realized that I'm far from cool, they feel out-of-place at launches. The only way to probably get them to want to come is if there were a group of younger, cooler, people there.

This is why TARC, college rocketry competitions, and the Hot Nozzle Society are the best things for the future of our hobby.

Back