How to easlily obtain Pryo Valve for Hybrid Engine

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobruk

Reaction score
Hello,

Me and my friends based in England, UK. We are currently building a Hybrid rocket system using NO2 as a oxidiser. We have been searching for a suitable and affordable Pyro valve to control the flow of oxidiser into the combustion chamber. Currently we have had no luck. We were wondering if anyone could point us in a direction of place to acquire such an item.

Kind Regards,

Tobruk

The mass and dimensions are too much for the small thrust motor such a valve would allow. High flow is a relative term.

Gerald

What is the purpose of your rocket? How heavy will it be, etc.?

Hello,

Me and my friends based in England, UK. We are currently building a Hybrid rocket system using NO2 as a oxidiser. We have been searching for a suitable and affordable Pyro valve to control the flow of oxidiser into the combustion chamber. Currently we have had no luck. We were wondering if anyone could point us in a direction of place to acquire such an item.

Kind Regards,

Tobruk

Join the United Kingdom Rocketry Association (UKRA) or the Amateur Rocketry Society of England (A.R.S.E.) groups on the Book of Faces. There are a number of hybrid fliers who can point you in the right direction.

Join the United Kingdom Rocketry Association (UKRA) or the Amateur Rocketry Society of England (A.R.S.E.) groups on the Book of Faces. There are a number of hybrid fliers who can point you in the right direction.
Look at owners manual on Contrail Rocket.com floating bulkhead or bolted. Using the nylon line as the valve. Here is a 98 mm R&D injector baffle 872FD278-1800-4802-8C77-A0D8BD4A05E1.jpeg872FD278-1800-4802-8C77-A0D8BD4A05E1.jpegA9F29D72-A8D2-43F6-8593-FD71512BCD67.jpegFE8AF94C-5301-4C5B-8916-DA987473BE4F.jpeg1205B720-7F4C-47F6-B96A-F307EEE117F3.jpegA8ECD59B-BA00-4795-95D2-CCDC6B50FCE1.jpeg

UCF had some really nice pyro valves that they made for their NOX alcohol bi-prop, I believe they are using a sorbitol plug to stop the flow and an ematch potted in hot glue to trigger. The red nylon tube burst was from their first abort. They had a moderately successful flight (750ft) at FAR last weekend for the DPF competition. Nice kids and I think they earned some sponsorship to build more and document these.

1618200318548.pngHere is a quick pic I snapped on the table when they were replacing the nylon tube.

There is more information on their reedit thread here:

UCF had some really nice pyro valves that they made for their NOX alcohol bi-prop, I believe they are using a sorbitol plug to stop the flow and an ematch potted in hot glue to trigger. The red nylon tube burst was from their first abort. They had a moderately successful flight (750ft) at FAR last weekend for the DPF competition. Nice kids and I think they earned some sponsorship to build more and document these.

View attachment 459560Here is a quick pic I snapped on the table when they were replacing the nylon tube.

There is more information on their reedit thread here:

Here's a cutaway drawing of those valves.unknown-3.png

Have you flown one of the simple UC monotube hybrids? A suggestion I frequently make to people wanting to develop hybrid motors, start with an 'inexpensive simple monotube' , fire off the motor a few times, or better yet fly it a few times before trying to do a unique valve or injector.

For what it is worth...

Have you flown one of the simple UC monotube hybrids? A suggestion I frequently make to people wanting to develop hybrid motors, start with an 'inexpensive simple monotube' , fire off the motor a few times, or better yet fly it a few times before trying to do a unique valve or injector.

For what it is worth...
+1 work slow and dont skip steps. There is so much to learn from failures and the building process.

We have gone out to static test our UC based monotube hybrid on 3 occasions, testing 2-4 times each occasion. There is definitely a learning curve with the ignition propellant (this is a research topic), but we finally think we have it down. Keeping the ignition grain in the solid fuel grain and keeping it from plugging the nozzle has been our latest bugaboo. Just laid out 4 fuel grains and 10 ignition grains for Saturday, so hope we finally get it to work reliably. Student holding assembled monotube hybrid motor in test stand. 1619205810268.png

Back