How to do Multi-staging in OpenRocket [SOLVED]

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenn Honson

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to OpenRocket and I don't do rocketry irl (I just love making these rockets that go high in OR)
So, is there any visual tutorial on how to do multi-staging in OpenRocket?
I don't understand the wiki (It doesn't seem to work)...

Last edited:
Simple, in Design view, select the top item (rocke name) the under "Add new component" a 'stage' is available. Click on it for dialog.
Then back the the left there will now be a 'stage' in the parts tree, Select and add the BT, fins, MM, etc.
Don't forget to set a tube to be a motor mount.
Now in Motors and configuration, there will be two motors required. Select and run sim.

Simple, in Design view, select the top item (rocke name) the under "Add new component" a 'stage' is available. Click on it for dialog.
Then back the the left there will now be a 'stage' in the parts tree, Select and add the BT, fins, MM, etc.
Now in Motors and configuration, there will be two motors required. Select and run sim.
111.PNG

I have bulkheads and a tube coupler but it still doesn't work :/

What are you expecting to see? The screen shot you posted as two stages - though neither is 'flight ready'. I can tell because there are two boxes/buttons above the 2D view with the names of the stages. - You can turn the 2D view of each stage on and off.

As Wltr mentions, the next step is to go to the motors and configurations tab and select a motor for each stage. I find it helpful to name the motor mount inner tube uniquely for each stage so I can be certain I'm picking the right motor for each one.

There are a lot of settings for when stage separation occurs, when stage ignition occurs, and when deployment for each stage occurs - but the defaults will get you started.

As is, your sustainer has no fins and will not fly high.

What are you expecting to see? The screen shot you posted as two stages - though neither is 'flight ready'. I can tell because there are two boxes/buttons above the 2D view with the names of the stages. - You can turn the 2D view of each stage on and off.

As Wltr mentions, the next step is to go to the motors and configurations tab and select a motor for each stage. I find it helpful to name the motor mount inner tube uniquely for each stage so I can be certain I'm picking the right motor for each one.

There are a lot of settings for when stage separation occurs, when stage ignition occurs, and when deployment for each stage occurs - but the defaults will get you started.

As is, your sustainer has no fins and will not fly high.
EDIT: Solved

Attachments

• 1111.PNG
    1111.PNG
    380.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
That is not "solved". :)

I will look at the file later and see if I can give you a hint, if no one else gets to it first. As @Charles_McG said above, there are a lot of things to set up to get a multi-stager working in OR. It shouldn't throw an exception either way, but it might be readily fixable in the model.

More information would be helpful. Exactly what actions had you taken that led to the exception shown above?

In your file, the sustainer motor mount was not designated as such:
1655751211471.png

I set it to a motor mount and defined its ignition as "First ejection charge of previous stage", which is the typical setting for BP staging (or, equivalently, "First burnout of previous stage"; same thing for BP booster motors):
1655751197076.png
I was then able to add motors to each mount and simulate.

It doesn't go very high because it's nowhere close to stable, but it doesn't crash. Although I wasn't able to reproduce the crash at all, still not knowing what action caused it to occur.

In your file, the sustainer motor mount was not designated as such:
View attachment 523653

I set it to a motor mount and defined its ignition as "First ejection charge of previous stage", which is the typical setting for BP staging (or, equivalently, "First burnout of previous stage"; same thing for BP booster motors):
View attachment 523652
I was then able to add motors to each mount and simulate.

It doesn't go very high because it's nowhere close to stable, but it doesn't crash. Although I wasn't able to reproduce the crash at all, still not knowing what action caused it to occur.
When I typed in that "SOLVED" I modified the rocket to be fully functional. Sorry for lack of info haha
Btw that error went when I restarted the program.

Please, please do whatever caused that exception and give a bug report with the stack trace.
Already did. Now that I think about it though, I don't know if I wrongly described something that wasn't related :/ It's not of the most detail so now I'm worried it's impossible to do from the description. I could try and do it again, but I don't have good memory really :/

Yes please try to jog your memory and recreate the bug and then send the bug report to us (click the 'View bug report' button when the error shows up and then copy all the bug report text and send it to us + mention the steps you took to create it). Would really help us to fix it.

Back