How To Determine GLIDE SPEED For A Model . . .

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some of the best information you can read about boost glider performance is Douglas Malewicki's 3-part series Boost Glider Performance Parts 1,2 3 in the old Model Rocketry magazine. Charts and equations galore. This was where I first learned about boost glider performance.

Model Rocketry Magazine 12/69;1/70;2/70

also check out the Wind Tunnel Study of the Estes Nighthawk BG 5/70 issue.

https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/ModelRocketry/ModelRocketry.html
some things never grow old.....

How would it change if I assumed a flat plate like I use on my gliders?
Frank,

I have been thinking about this . . .

The equation determines Glide Speed, not Sink Rate. So, with that in mind, your Glide Speed should be the same.

Remember that this equation does not take into account a "headwind" or a "tailwind", either.

Dave F.

That's not the behavior I see in all of my gliders in fact they're much more docile, and much more forgiving in stall in my experience with the flat plate..

Frank,

I have been thinking about this . . .

The equation determines Glide Speed, not Sink Rate. So, with that in mind, your Glide Speed should be the same.

Remember that this equation does not take into account a "headwind" or a "tailwind", either.

Dave F.
More thoughts . . .

A glider with a larger cross-section or "draggier" design might never reach the Glide Speed indicated by the Formula. Aerodynamic drag would make it unachievable.

Remember, we are talking about "Airspeed", not "Ground Speed" . . .

Dave F.

1689611605219.png

Back