CAD Software How to create a complex fin in CAD

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketgeek101

Reaction score
I am working on designing a fincan in Fusion 360 for 3D printing. One thing that I'd like to do is learn how to taper the fin so that it is thicker at the base and thinner along the tip, and also apply a nice bevel to the leading and trailing edges. I am basically looking to recreate something like a Nike Smoke style fin as shown here. I am fairly novice when it comes to using CAD, and haven't really been able to find an answer on how to do this by searching the web. So far I have been able to create a flat fin with rounded leading and trailing edges, but this is not exactly what I want.

Here is an example of what I have been able to make so far:

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 7.37.50 PM.png

I am hoping some of you more experienced CAD users here would be able to take a bit of time to share how this can be done, or point me in the right direction to a tutorial somewhere.

Thanks!

One way to do it would be to use multiple chamfers. You could use the first set of chamfers to taper the fin from the base to the tip, and then two more sets of chamfers to add the airfoil shape.

A more advanced way of doing it would be to use a loft tool. I don't know if Fusion 360 has this, but most CAD programs do. This would require at least two sketches that have the desired airfoil cross section (one for the root and one for the tip). The loft tool can then create a solid between these two sketches to form the fin. If the fin is complicated, you may need multiple cross-section sketches and/or guide curves to form the desired shape.

One way to do it would be to use multiple chamfers. You could use the first set of chamfers to taper the fin from the base to the tip, and then two more sets of chamfers to add the airfoil shape.

A more advanced way of doing it would be to use a loft tool. I don't know if Fusion 360 has this, but most CAD programs do. This would require at least two sketches that have the desired airfoil cross section (one for the root and one for the tip). The loft tool can then create a solid between these two sketches to form the fin. If the fin is complicated, you may need multiple cross-section sketches and/or guide curves to form the desired shape.
Thank you! The loft tool is exactly what I was looking for. :)

Lofting or sweeping is your friend. You have at least 2 "profiles" of the shape you want, and you use these to create / to 'loft' or 'sweep thru the profiles created. You'll need to know about work planes, as you'll be creating a few.

For simplicity: your base shape is a square. on the next work plane, you can draw a circle. you will then loft or sweep' from the square shape thru to a circle. There will be some constraining the 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th an..) shapes to the first one, so they have a relationship.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fus...e&ie=UTF-8#kpvalbx=_H4brXuvhH-WpytMPvsG-2AE31

In AutoCAD and Inventor, LOFT is the command. Pick the sections in order then you have a couple of options

To do that, how I would do and did do before in F360 is sketch a center point rectangle with 2 triangles up and down right onto the tube of the fin can, create a offset plane to the width of the fin, sketch a smaller version to the dimensions you want, then loft it. I did this for airfoils, but it can do anh shape really. Hope this helps!

Back