How to cause a WAR at a Car Dealership...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SS/EA 6BBL 71 Cuda

Reaction score
This ones for Tom, although it is "loosely" based on experiences that happened yesterday in Indianapolis at a Car Dealer-

This has been coming for some time now...I've been looking to sell off a car that i own and, upgrade to another. Seems the other Dodges in my garage have been complaining about the smell from the outsider and, want me to bring in another Chrysler product to keep them happy.

I won't elaborate too much but, the car i want to buy is a real HELLION of a vehicle.

I'm not looking to trade this *current* vehicle in but, sell it outright and, then pursue purchasing my vehicle of choice. :point:

This time i thought i would try something different and, by recommendation from some other fellow employees i made an appointment to have my car appraised (for free), an offer to be made and, possible sale. I don't want to mention this nationwide franchises name but, they will sell you a CAR without it being a MAXimum pain in the butt.

I can see some of you rolling your eyes already...:rolleyes: Hold on this gets good! ;)

So i show up 30 minutes early for my appointment along with my chase vehicle and, get me home driver if this goes through.
I introduce myself to my Sales Associate and, we start talking about my vehicle, i produce all the needed paperwork to verify that it has a clean Title, all warranty work done to date paperwork and, we head out to show it off.

The Sales Associate is amazed at the condition/cleanliness and, low miles of the vehicle, remarks "Has it ever been in an accident or fixed?"
No...:eek:

He REALLY likes that answer!

So i give him the keys and, he reminds me to check back in 30 minutes or so....No problem! Just keep it under 100mph man! ;)

I walk out their main doors into the lot and, i'm greeted by a slew of Muscle/Sports cars...Wooooooo! :eek:
I quickly find the little corner of their lot where they keep all the German Stuffage...Yeah! :surprised: Dreams of me cruising down an Autobahn with sewing machine precision at MACH 155 with one hand on the wheel fill my dreams...
Then i notice that 45 minutes have passed and, i need to get back inside.

I quickly find my Associate and, we head to a Semi-Private cubicle for our appraisal.

"Well, Mr. Piepenburg your car scores EXCELLENT on our scale and, we are very happy you brought it in!" :smile:
"After reviewing your car we would like to offer you this!" :smile:

Are you kidding?

"Whats wrong Mr. Piepenburg?"
"Do you know what its REALLY worth?" :confused:

Of course i do...(Said while opening my notebook.)

"I can bring up Edmunds and, show you what it's worth!" :D

Please do...i already know what they think its worth.

"Look, it shows that...that car is valued between --,--- and, this --,---!" :D

And, THAT'S why your giving ME the most bottom scale?

"We have overhead and, reconditioning!" :D

You have a kid in the back who makes like $10 an hour...with a vacuum, a hose and, a digital camera...

PLUS- I have Edmunds, NADA, Kelly, Blue, Black and, even Red value listings that show me that your going to mark it up $6000 higher after i sign it over...

"We would never do thhhhhhaaaaaat!" :p

You know...even a Stripper wants to see the GREEN before you can *Yodel in the Valley* brother and, i wasn't born yesterday.

"I don't understand?" :confused:

If we met at least halfway in the middle i would be alot happier, against my better judgement i choose to come to you today...

"By taking OUR offer you keep hands off the vehicle if you know what i mean?!" :smile:

Ebay Motors, Auto Trader do the same...if you stipulate that ANY test drives will be done ONLY with a Cashiers Check or Money in hand and, given to a third party before such...

"You wouldn't sell it on Craigslist would you Mr. Piepenburg?" :confused:

Heck no son, i'll sell my body there but, NOT MY CAR!

"I don't think were going anywhere Sir!" :eek:

Did you notice that shortly after we meet i excused myself to the Restrooms....THEN we shook hands?

"Yes?" :confused:

I may have flushed but, i didn't wash.....

:surprised:

You people are Vampires to me...

Then things went SOUTH real quick! :lol:

Then, they asked me to leave-Obviously i didn't give the car away and, i went home...

I've learned ALOT of things about buying and, selling cars over the last 35 or so years and, that's NO MATTER how well you take care of something...so few people really appreciate that when it comes time to move on from your pride and, joy. To give you an idea...what few cars (like mine) they have in their nationwide inventory- Are selling for around $6000 higher than the offer i received. It's one thing to profit, its another to r*pe someone...

I sure do love cars though...The selling process is always the worst for me...

Long story short...If anyone is looking for a really low mileage, clean 2013 ZL-1 Camaro and, they would like to talk, please PM me or look on Ebay....

It will be up in about a week.

Thank-you. :cool:

Good for sticking to your guns, Gus! I see so many people get buffaloed into taking a 'reasonable offer"-when all they are is giving the car away to some shark who's going to flip it for twice what he paid. I could go on and on, but why bother? Wish I liked GM, but I'm a Mopar guy myself. Biggest regret was trading in my Challenger for a really crappy K-car station wagon-haven't heard the end of it yet! Kids are grown now and it's about time for a 3rd gen street beast.

I checked the retail prices for the 2013 ZL1 Camaros in my neck of the woods. I found 4 listed on-line.

https://usedcars.caranddriver.com/c...rim-ZL1/location-01970/vehicle_condition-Used

The "best" one is a manual with 5.7K miles and is listed for $50K on-line. This is at a no haggle Infinity dealership so it is listed at the price they expect to get for the car which is $6K below KBB.

The most "expensive" is an auto with 10.3K miles listed for $55K located in the showroom of a Toyota dealership. The least "expensive" is a manual with 11.9K miles listed for $43K at a used car dealer. The 4th is an auto with 8.3K miles listed for $46K at a Nissan dealership.

FWIW

Well at least you know your bottom point :), mm maybe you should keep the Chevy... Admittedly I'm scared to take a ride in the evil kitty. That came out wrong

I hate buying and selling cars. Maybe that's why I do it so seldom. Our "new" car is a 2002. And our "old" car is a 1994.

I'm planning on sell a car in a few months (2003 VW Golf diesel, 150K miles, OK condition but not stellar). From the post above, you clearly aren't a big fan of Craigslist or the place that rhymes with Farbacks. Any suggestions on how to get a fairly reasonable price without a huge hassle? I'm not interested in putting in hours of effort to wring another couple of hundred bucks out of the deal. Thanks!

A dealer is working the spread, but is true they have overhead the private party doesn't have ...

Figuring out the true b2b NADA trade in is how the dealer views the vehicle ..any recon subtracts from the figure .. I call it a starting point , its what the banks used most often when lending - like 85% of used trade in .

You can sell direct to the dealers potential customer, but they will have to have CASH or their financing in place and both parties have to be willing to work through the process of funding ...ie : bank will fund with title recieved but seller does not want to relinquish the title until the funding has posted ...or in the reverse the seller thinking that someone will pay them , so they can pay off the note , and then wait for the title may be unrealistic.

When I was shopping for my wifes car , I found that private parties were asking the same or more than dealers, so I started shopping dealers because they offered certified vehicles warrantied through dealers nation wide , aggressive financing and usually had a viewable carfax ...

My buddy when selling his infiniti shopped dealers and could not get the bid he wanted , then went to MarCax and they were not at his figure, but $1500 higher than the other dealers so he let it go ..done and done . He also taught me that you can go to eBay and find an equivalant vehicle and look only at completed listings .. like done and sold or bid upto this and didn't sell ...just gave an independant snapshot of the market .

Kenny

local chevy/dodge dealer has a black on black Hellcat if that is what you are looking for ?

used cars no problem I keep them so long next step is crusher or junk yard

I think a dealer are supposed to offend you when the buy :). I think what Gus is getting at, this is not your average car, I've seen it polished and in his shop.
Me.."oh my gosh, is that what I think it is!?!...oh is that a ZL1??"

Gus is smart enough to understand he ran into the average response of a wholesale car purchase for a NOT so average car and a not so average owner of said car. You were probably hoping "sure make some $ of me just not ALL of it on me". Still sucks, I know you probably don't have the time to devote selling as a private seller so you can probably get reasonable price. You could stop by my neck of the woods at Putnam Park on Camaro day with a for sale sign and leave with some good contacts of people that have access to that kind of dough to boot, just don't let them test drive it ON the track :).

Kinda sounds like said purchaser took it out on a joyride and showed all his friends "hey look what I get to drive!" But waawaawaa, Gus said "no you don't idiot"

See, if you would have just bought the Mustang GT500, you'd still be having so much fun, you wouldn't have this problem... :neener: :neener: :lol: :lol: :grin:

Adrian (When I grow up and stop playing with rockets, I'll get a Mustang, maybe... Someday...)

In my opinion....it's not a real muscle car if they offer it in a V6 version.

Good for sticking to your guns, Gus! I see so many people get buffaloed into taking a 'reasonable offer"-when all they are is giving the car away to some shark who's going to flip it for twice what he paid. I could go on and on, but why bother? Wish I liked GM, but I'm a Mopar guy myself. Biggest regret was trading in my Challenger for a really crappy K-car station wagon-haven't heard the end of it yet! Kids are grown now and it's about time for a 3rd gen street beast.

I'm trying fyrwrxz...With both my Chevy purchase and, my past Mopar purchases i can honestly say that with Mopar i was (and, some people may have other experiences) that i was treated ALOT better at ANY dealership that i had issue warranty wise with.
Yes Sir, No Sir...we'll get it fixed! ;)

I checked the retail prices for the 2013 ZL1 Camaros in my neck of the woods. I found 4 listed on-line.

https://usedcars.caranddriver.com/c...rim-ZL1/location-01970/vehicle_condition-Used

The "best" one is a manual with 5.7K miles and is listed for $50K on-line. This is at a no haggle Infinity dealership so it is listed at the price they expect to get for the car which is $6K below KBB.

The most "expensive" is an auto with 10.3K miles listed for $55K located in the showroom of a Toyota dealership. The least "expensive" is a manual with 11.9K miles listed for $43K at a used car dealer. The 4th is an auto with 8.3K miles listed for $46K at a Nissan dealership.

FWIW.

Bob, thanks for the reply...Those are ALL high line scale prices + for those vehicles. May have something to do with the proximity to larger markets than what we have here locally in Indianapolis.

By the way, mines at 8,200 miles right now...and, i was just hoping for 40k. :( A $17k drop in 3 years....acceptable.

Well at least you know your bottom point :), mm maybe you should keep the Chevy... Admittedly I'm scared to take a ride in the evil kitty. That came out wrong

And, YOU used to race Sprint Cars...All i ever did was Drag Race...:lol:

I'm planning on sell a car in a few months (2003 VW Golf diesel, 150K miles, OK condition but not stellar). From the post above, you clearly aren't a big fan of Craigslist or the place that rhymes with Farbacks. Any suggestions on how to get a fairly reasonable price without a huge hassle? I'm not interested in putting in hours of effort to wring another couple of hundred bucks out of the deal. Thanks!

To tell you the truth, i think i'm going to give Evil Bay Motors a try...A good friend of mine located his little run around Honda Accord that way after totaling his pride and, joy with a deer...then getting a FAT check from his Insurance Company.

If ANYONE has any advice about Ebay Motors...please speak up!

Lord knows i've bought alot of stuff there but, maybe time to open it up to the world:confused:

local chevy/dodge dealer has a black on black Hellcat if that is what you are looking for ?

Your right as RAIN! Although i am partial to Black with the Sephia Brown interior (think a reddish brown, just like my 2015 RAM 3500!) Stick preferred (im not going to Drag Race it...but, enjoy it.) There's ONE in Indy right now (Champion Dodge) that way...and, i have slobbered all over it but, it has a Sunroof and, that i'm real iffy about. :eek:

I think a dealer are supposed to offend you when the buy :). I think what Gus is getting at, this is not your average car, I've seen it polished and in his shop.
Me.."oh my gosh, is that what I think it is!?!...oh is that a ZL1??"

Gus is smart enough to understand he ran into the average response of a wholesale car purchase for a NOT so average car and a not so average owner of said car. You were probably hoping "sure make some $ of me just not ALL of it on me". Still sucks, I know you probably don't have the time to devote selling as a private seller so you can probably get reasonable price. You could stop by my neck of the woods at Putnam Park on Camaro day with a for sale sign and leave with some good contacts of people that have access to that kind of dough to boot, just don't let them test drive it ON the track :).

Kinda sounds like said purchaser took it out on a joyride and showed all his friends "hey look what I get to drive!" But waawaawaa, Gus said "no you don't idiot"

SMART ENOUGH? Your too kind, i have the mental capacity of a Goldfish..The Putnam Park thing sounds real good, let me check my schedule. Thanks! :D

See, if you would have just bought the Mustang GT500, you'd still be having so much fun, you wouldn't have this problem... :neener: :neener: :lol: :lol: :grin:

Adrian (When I grow up and stop playing with rockets, I'll get a Mustang, maybe... Someday...)

Funny "Mr. Green Jeans"...i STILL love you though-;)

Pretty sure he said he was a Mopar guyView attachment 298244

Just sayin

I....ARE...i just had a moment of Insanity....Three years of it! Seriously though, it is ALOT of bang for the buck...They DID do some serious work to make it that way.

I just want to find a happier owner.

In my opinion....it's not a real muscle car if they offer it in a V6 version.

Owwwwww! But, if you get the "Big Dog" it all comes full circle....Miss you bro! *smooch* :eek:

that story reminds me of my troubles in getting a title for a 86MR2 I was restoring

long story short

Day 1; called local DMV to get info about my mr2 title.
Result, we can?t give out title info unless it?s in your name.

Day 2; called local DMV again and got a different lady.
Result, yes there is a lien on the title but we cant tell you who or for how much.

Day 3; called state DMV
Result we recommend DMV form ---- and a 1-dollar money order for information to be sent to your address for a certified copy send 10 bucks !!

Day 4; = 3 days later called state DMV again got a different person
Result; the lien was placed on the title in sept 1987 by bank ----

Day 5; called bank ---
Result; bank said get lost no info given out unless I was the name on the titleholder.

Day 6 called bank --- again, different person who connected me to the repasentavie for my state
Result; basically same as day five no info given out unless my name was on the title.

Day 7; =2 days later contacted bank --- again . Was connected to the corporate loan division of bank --- explained to person that I had possession of car and was in progress of restoring the car but needed a clear title before I could proceed further with repairs. Don?t want to fix the car and cant get a title to put her back on the road !!
Result; was asked the name on the title and my name and address and phone number. Was told bank --- was not interested in the lien anymore and would send me a lien release to send to DMV to have lien removed.

4 days later I now have in my hands a notarized form stating that bank --- has no further interest in lien on said title there fore no more lien on title !!!
woopie !!

2 days later I had a title to the MR2 :)

Bobby

Regarding ebay motors: I've been the victim of fraud TWICE on motorcycles on ebay motors. Both took months to get my money back, one resulted in criminal charges for the individual (who was already in jail and running a fraud ring from jail computers!). BOTH had pictures, both sellers responded to specialty picture requests and phone calls.

YMMV, but for buying a vehicle: if you can't walk up to it and touch it, I would rather have Bill Clinton/Intern style relations with a broken coke bottle than deal with an ebay motors seller again.

Pm sent on link for the Hellcat .. it has auto trans :( though

Last December car shopping for my wife she said to get anything I wanted that I would end up driving , fine :) the challenger she said no she would keep and she is older so has dibs lol

I'm sure you'll love the hellcat, I have a 2014 R/T and I love it, my wife has my 2010 challenger. WE had a 2012 mustang, but was not happy with the internal and trunk room as a daily driver compared to the challenger. BTW, I thought most muscle cars, even from the 70's were sold with v-6 options, along with current mustangs, camaros and challengers....

Frank

Funny "Mr. Green Jeans"...i STILL love you though-;)

Aw.... Shucks... I thought we were keeping that on the down low... :blush: :wink:
Can't wait to see you at MWP XIV! One of these years yer gonna have to ask for another day or two off, so you can spend the whole weekend with us!
Maybe just drive that big rig a little faster to finish that route early!!

Adrian

Thanks for posting Gus.
I laughed out loud as usual. Chelsea is convinced I have lost my mind.
Can't wait to see you in November.

Pm sent on link for the Hellcat .. it has auto trans :( though

Last December car shopping for my wife she said to get anything I wanted that I would end up driving , fine :) the challenger she said no she would keep and she is older so has dibs lol

Saw the link and, really appreciated it! :D

I'm sure you'll love the hellcat, I have a 2014 R/T and I love it, my wife has my 2010 challenger. WE had a 2012 mustang, but was not happy with the internal and trunk room as a daily driver compared to the challenger. BTW, I thought most muscle cars, even from the 70's were sold with v-6 options, along with current mustangs, camaros and challengers....

Frank

Thanks Frank! I had a 2009 SRT8 Chally and, i really miss it...:( Can't imagine almost 300 MORE Horses under the hood in a straight line-

"Hang on St Christopher on the passenger side....open it up and, let it ride...!"

Aw.... Shucks... I thought we were keeping that on the down low... :blush: :wink:
Can't wait to see you at MWP XIV! One of these years yer gonna have to ask for another day or two off, so you can spend the whole weekend with us!
May

be just drive that big rig a little faster to finish that route early!!

Adrian

I have Thursday through Monday off to find you in Princeton this year. :no: You've been Warned!

Will it fit a wife and three kids? If yes, then I'm game.
LoL

YES IT WILL! Until the kids grow up...Pesky thing called life...

You know how to reach me Dawg! Plus it's a STICK. Can the wife drive a STICK? If not it's ALL YOURS....Just think how *Jiggy* you'd look pulling up into the Teachers lot in that Evil looking/sounding ZL-1....:smile:

Thanks for posting Gus.
I laughed out loud as usual. Chelsea is convinced I have lost my mind.
Can't wait to see you in November.

Don't worry, i've already lost my mind...Now if i could just find it again the world might stop spinning.....Wooooooo.:surprised:

Regarding ebay motors: I've been the victim of fraud TWICE on motorcycles on ebay motors. Both took months to get my money back, one resulted in criminal charges for the individual (who was already in jail and running a fraud ring from jail computers!). BOTH had pictures, both sellers responded to specialty picture requests and phone calls.

I've found so many bike listings online that were shady...it's crazy. I would only buy in person...and even then some have super sketchy paperwork. My wife was obsessed with finding a red Iron. found a private listing in Nebraska... I was against it at first, but the guy seemed legit, and we called his dealer. Guy apparently bought touring bikes from him every other year and never missed a service. On that we blindly sent a MO for him to pay off his loan, and the bike showed up two weeks later. (shipping wasn't as bad as expected. $700 to buffalo) Got the bike, sent the rest of the cash, and everyone is happy.

As for car dealers...maaaaaaaaaan. All slimeballs. Bought a caravan a few years ago, new. put 15K down and they called my wife and said "hey we got you a great rate - 9%" Yea call back when you're not sticking it in my rear. Called back an hour later with 3.7...... geeeeee.... then we're signing stuff up and there's dropping fee after fee at us.... and they where shocked and pissed when we asked what they were for "oh thats a standard fee" "for what?" "let me go ask my manager" really? There were two that amounted to around $75 they had no idea... none at all. Something like "state permit fee" or other such BS.... but there's no state permit. So they're like "it's a standard fee we charge everyone...no one questions this" "ok..." and we got up and started walking out. They freaked out. "you're going to walk on a 30,000 dollar deal over $75?" "you're a dick, we're leaving....it's a black f-ing caravan...pretty sure I can find another one." they caved. totally should have gone for more, but it was more the point they couldn't even tell me what it was for. Best thing to do is wait until they need one more signature and get up and walk away.... they lose their minds.

Anytime you buy a car, Google to find out exactly what fees etc are required by the state. After you settle on price for vehicle (and interest rate if financing) show the sales person that short list and say that's all you are paying for. No undercoating or other bogus fees. Vehicle, tax, tags, that's about it...

Last edited:
Back