HOW TO Add a motor to OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I added a .eng file to the C:\\...\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves folder. I also tried the Edit-Preferences-Options and Add Users Thrust Curve. It says "Changes will take effect the next time you start OpenRocket." so I close the program and reopen.

No Joy. The motor isn't in the available list when selecting motors.

The first three lines of the .eng file is as follows:
;EX 59% L-1025
;Exported from BurnSim 3.1 (www.burnsim.com)
L1025 75 514.35 0 2.005 1.99581 EX

The problem seems to be that when you go to select a motor, you have to select a Manufacturer. This file has EX as a manufacture code. I thought that might be the issue if you can only add files from existing Manufactures.

I edited the first non-commented line to L1025 75 514 0 2.005 1.99581 AT But that didn't do anything. The motor still doesn't show up.

Can you add a new Manufacturer to the list? How about My Motors with the EX code in the .eng file? How would you do that?

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and tell me how to add this motor so I can use it in a sim?

Last edited:
I figured it out. .eng files do NOT work in OpenRocket.

I finally got around to trying the .rse file that was created in Burnsim for the EX motor I was going to try. It is identical to the .eng file, just the different format.

I put the .rse file into the C:\\...\OpenRocket\ThrustCurves folder and it shows up in the program. The manufacturer is listed as EX, like in the file, and the motor is in the list and is selectable.

Ok, I give up, there is no thrustcurves folder on my computer. the program is a standalone jar file...any ideas anyone?

Ok, I give up, there is no thrustcurves folder on my computer. the program is a standalone jar file...any ideas anyone?
Motor files like .rse or .eng files are added using the importer built into OR. IIRC you can create a folder gor the purpose of holding yhe giles then tell OR to look there.

Sure there is.. do a search for *curves* (see below).

neil_W helped me with adding a motor early this week. Send him a PM

Open Rocket Thrustcurves.jpg

Last edited:
If you go to preferences and then "General" tab, you'll see that you can specify a folder for additional motors. Specify that, then dump your thrustcurves in there an you're good to go.
upload_2019-3-17_18-9-45.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-17_18-6-44.png
    upload_2019-3-17_18-6-44.png
    113.7 KB · Views: 107
  • upload_2019-3-17_18-9-17.png
    upload_2019-3-17_18-9-17.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 114
I finally found it, had an issue thanks to Winblows 10. Even though I am the only user and am the administrator, I could not view or even locate the folder. Once resetting ownership of the root users folder, I was able to get to the needed folder... got it to work...

Latest posts

Back