How powerful are sugar rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing, based on your posts, that you haven't had much experience with model rocketry in general. For basic information go here and download "The Classic Collection" which has the early publication of TR1 on rocket stability, plus reports on multi-staging, clustering, even building a wind tunnel.

There's also the "Model Rocketry Technical Manual" with basic info on how a rocket works, flight profile, construction information, and basics on stability and other topics.

Making rocket motors is a far more serious activity than most YouTube videos would have you believe. I did not begin making my own until after I'd gotten a PhD in chemistry and began some research (actual research, not "searching the web" research) into the topic. Building model rockets and flying them with commercial motors to learn the basics is an outstanding idea, and it doesn't have to be expensive or difficult. I read and understood most of the technical reports when I was in 6th grade.

Best,
Terry

I don't know if someone has already said this, but you can buy in bulk, the cardboard engine casings in 18mm and 24mm that Estes uses in their engines. Load those up with your favorite choice of propellant, and (carefully) drill your nozzle. Then you can fly those in any standard rocket as long as the fins can stay attached. I have not done this, and I don't recommend it, but... just saying.
I’m sure you have your own reason for not recommending it, but mine is the appalling accident rate prior to the widespread adoption of model rocketry as a standard entry point into hobby rockets. It’s estimated that in the 1950s and 1960s, before model rocketry was popular and legal everywhere, 1 in 7 amateur rocketeers would be severely injured or killed attempting to design, prepare, and fly their rockets. Many of the rest suffered aerial or ground mishaps and were lucky to escape this outcome with only minor injury or some level of property damage.

Now that rate is much lower thanks to the introduction of commercially-manufactured and certified motors, as well as formal rocketry organizations and codified safety standards.

Last edited:
I’m sure you have your own reason for not recommending it, but mine is the appalling accident rate prior to the widespread adoption of model rocketry as a standard entry point into hobby rockets.

Yes, and unfortunately, the proliferation of youtube has convinced everyone that, for a few dollars worth of household materials, you too can make rocket motors. The worst offender is this "King of Random" (TKOR), a youtube group that has made millions of dollars convincing people to do stupid and dangerous things. Going down that rabbit hole for 3 hours one day, I hit enough different dangerous experiments that I now know how to build a half-decent pipe-bomb.

I remember in the 80's, the writers for "MacGuyver" would always leave out a critical ingredient, so that kids at home wouldn't blow off their fingers, but the youtubers have no such self-control (or perhaps a lack of network censors). I guess no parents group has yet sued these clowns when someone burns down their garage attempting to emulate this stuff.

So i just bought the Estes Quix model rocket kit, comes with 2 A-3-4T rocket motors, and everything I need. I will probably launch it in a few days, with under 30 mph winds, and clear skies. And, will wood glue (allowed to sit for 24 hours for full strength) work to assemble the rocket? It can handle like at least 500 psi when it can sit for 24 hours.

PVC also has one other "nasty property" . . . From what I have heard, it does not show up on X-rays. So, if you over-pressurize a PVC motor, the "shrapnel" would be more difficult to locate, inside a person's body !

Dave F.
I believe PVC not showing on x-rays is a myth. However, the PVC will produce shrapnel that is dangerous. I have an ATF low explosive license and I have made pyro rockets for many years and that community doesn't allow PVC because of shrapnel - and not because it doesn't show up on x-rays because it does.. Paper is always better for hobby motors. Wrapping your own motor tube is hard but doable. Almost everyone who makes their own pyro motors uses virgin craft tubes that are purchased. The results using them are reliable and repeatable. Pyro suppliers have them (usually). If the person is new, making one's own motor tubes is much more advanced than you would think so it is best to purchase and get the motor so it works reliably and THEN make tubes and troubleshoot them. Reusing old motor shells is never a good idea. The name of the game is making something that gets you the same result consistently. Can't do that with a partially burned out shell.

To answer this question, I believe there are a number of 3D printing programs available. I know nothing about this but there is a 3-D printing subforum here.
If you are beginning with 3D printing, I suggest learning to design things in Tinkercad. It's free and pretty easy to learn. But if you just want to print a rocket to fly, search for "model rocket" on Thingiverse. There are tons of freely available designs there.

If you are beginning with 3D printing, I suggest learning to design things in Tinkercad. It's free and pretty easy to learn. But if you just want to print a rocket to fly, search for "model rocket" on Thingiverse. There are tons of freely available designs there.
im not beginning, this might just be a fun little project for future me

also, does anyone know how to OPEN THE DAMN ELECTRON BEAM LAUNCH CONTROLLER?!?!?!?!?
HOW DO YOU OPEN THAT THING?

Edit: Used a larger philps to open the controller, it works.

Last edited:
also, does anyone know how to OPEN THE DAMN ELECTRON BEAM LAUNCH CONTROLLER?!?!?!?!?
HOW DO YOU OPEN THAT THING?
There should be two small Philips-head screws on the back. I’d have to consult my own to be sure, though.

One benefit of club flying is that the GSE is often provided in exchange for only a small launch fee. Some low-power clubs, like DART for example, are fully solvent solely from donations and provide it for free.

If the person is new, making one's own motor tubes is much more advanced than you would think so it is best to purchase and get the motor so it works reliably and THEN make tubes and troubleshoot them.

I rolled tubes from manilla folders and recycled kraft paper for my first several attempts. Loading the motors with enough pressure was especially hard with these tubes. I eventually made it work, but the commercial tubes were much less frustrating and I still use them for motors. I'm glad they are still available to us.

I remember hearing something at LDRS: a rocket is basically a motor holder. If you like the rocket, try it on a couple of different motors and see how they affect its performance. The 1/2A3-4T will limit its altitude considerably, while the A10-3T will take it perhaps just a little lower than the A3-4T but the extra thrust will make it really zip off the pad.

You will get a lot more options in the next size up as well. Estes and AeroTech manufacture rocket motors that are 18mm in diameter and come in impulse classes 1/2A through D. They also have kit options, you can try your hand at gluing on individual balsa fins. It’s harder than it sounds!

I remember hearing something at LDRS: a rocket is basically a motor holder. If you like the rocket, try it on a couple of different motors and see how they affect its performance. The 1/2A3-4T will limit its altitude considerably, while the A10-3T will take it perhaps just a little lower than the A3-4T but the extra thrust will make it really zip off the pad.

You will get a lot more options in the next size up as well. Estes and AeroTech manufacture rocket motors that are 18mm in diameter and come in impulse classes 1/2A through D. They also have kit options, you can try your hand at gluing on individual balsa fins. It’s harder than it sounds!
i would prefer the A34T's height and cost, but it DOES seem fun to try the supershot kit in the future, as it goes higher than my Quix kit.

i would prefer the A34T's height and cost, but it DOES seem fun to try the supershot kit in the future, as it goes higher than my Quix kit.
Mini motors represent the most economical motor option in production today, but I’ve found that they are somewhat limiting. They span three impulse classes compared to the five of the 18mm standard, with fewer options for delay times. Estes is also the only manufacturer in this size.

The Super Shot appears to be a starter set, being packaged with all the ground support equipment you already have. If you’d like an airframe-only option and you want to reach some crazy altitude, your best bet is the Estes Yankee. I don’t think it’ll hit the advertised 1700 ft but it should be pretty close. I have to limit it to B motors to keep it under 1000 ft.

https://www.hobbylinc.com/estes-yankee-model-rocket-kit-skill-level-1-1381?source=froogle
The fins aren’t laser cut, they provide a template instead, so it’s a bit of a building challenge and a look at the way the hobby used to be in its early days.

Last edited:
Back