Quantcast

How popular is the PML Ariel?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

PLEASE!!! View the descriptions of the rockets in the other posted thread..THEN vote!

• pantherjon: Retro-Repro

• stymye: Astron Scrambler clone

• Skippy-2: X-15 (scratch)

• akipilot: 1964 Estes Astron Cobra clone

• ghost: Alien Enterprises

• geof: Trion

• grog: Fat Cat Rockets Galactic Marauder

• Rocketry nut: Rockstar

• Rocket James: PDR Mars Snooper clone

• pantherjon: Retro-Repro

• stymye: Astron Scrambler clone

• Skippy-2: X-15 (scratch)

• akipilot: 1964 Estes Astron Cobra clone

• ghost: Alien Enterprises

• geof: Trion

• grog: Fat Cat Rockets Galactic Marauder

• Rocketry nut: Rockstar

• Rocket James: PDR Mars Snooper clone

Results are only viewable after voting.

brianc

Reaction score
All the praise for PML rockets got me poking around their website & looking for a
nice G/H kit (b-day is Monday:) )

I like rockets that are clean & nice, but not too popular- not that this is the only
quality I'm looking for. For example, I really like the lines of the Pterodactyl
(tiny and JR). But I've seen a few of these around the state this summer, so
I'd like to grab something else. Thus the <a href="http://secure.consumersinterest.com/pml/images/arielmichellesmall.jpg">Ariel.</a>

A quick search of TRF yields a few positive comments, and the lack of chatter
might just meet my 'not too popular' requirement.

So what do ya'll think?

Missileman

Reaction score
There is a guy in my club that has an Ariel.
I do like PML kits.
If you want something more rare how about a Cosmodrome kit maybe?
I saw a North Coast Rocketry, Interceptor G on Ebay just recently.
I don't see alot of those at launches.

cls

Reaction score
Brian, for clean designs and high quality parts, you might check out Binder Designs.

n3tjm

Papa Elf
Reaction score
I have a Russian friend who is going L2 with his. I sold him a J350 for it... its going to roc-n-roll with that.

Justin Horne

Reaction score
Originally posted by cls
Brian, for clean designs and high quality parts, you might check out Binder Designs.
I concur. Although I like phenolic/quantum better than cardboard, it's still good.

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
Ariel is a nice bord, and I have a club member who flys his monthly. Asa nice alternative, consider the Mini-BBX by PML. It is easily updated to the CP3K system and if you really want a kick in the pants you can later add the Terrier booster for some serious altitude. I got my L1 on the Mini-BBX with am Ellis H50 SU.

As mentioned above, Cosmodrome is not real "popular" however they make beautiful kits. I have a Nike Apache that screams on a G80 or an H165. Also does pretty well on an F.

A

ggoldy

Reaction score
I did my L1 cert with an Ariel. A couple years old now. Never had a problem with it. It would serve well as a L2 cert, as well. When not flying, it hangs from the bedroom cieling....irratates the wife, heh, heh, heh. Never seen another in person...the Ariel, not the wife.

joepolicy

Reaction score
The Ariel is my rocket of choice for my upcoming L1 cert attempt next week. It was easy to build considering it was my first HPR kit. I really like it and if I get my certification, I will really LOVE it! :)

Hospital_Rocket

Reaction score
If you are not completely dedicated to the PML product - I just finished assembling a Weasel29. Add an AT H165 or an Ellis H50 and you would have an inexpensive L1. Save the $$ for the electronics and L2.

Zippy

Reaction score
I voted for CTulanko. I don't know what he has to do with the Ariel but both are probably a good choice.

brianc

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zippy
I voted for CTulanko. I don't know what he has to do with the Ariel but both are probably a good choice.
It was a nod to the 'CowboyNeal' poll options on Slashdot.org Carl is probably the
closest thing to CowboyNeal around here! :)

Thanks for all the good responses folks!

jetra2

Reaction score
I voted "The What?" because I personally have not seen many around. It would be cool to see at a HERC meet, Brian!

I still don't get the CTulanko reference...

Jason

loopy

Reaction score
Great looking kit, I've never actually seen one in person, but you really can't go wrong with PML.

Loopy

gothique_97

Reaction score
I knew someone who had one many years ago. Flew it at a Battle Park launch on a J180 with a Casio altimeter wristwatch to 4700 feet. It took a bit of a hard landing, but after necessary repairs, it flew the next day on a J415...if by 'flew' you mean it underwent rapid aerodynamic disassembly halfway through the motor's burn. I also saw one fly on a J90 on an arrow straight flight.

I've had my eye on it for a while, myself. Thinking of building it hybrid-ready and doing my L2 cert.

brianc

Reaction score
"What the heck did you order now!?!?!" :)

My <a href="http://secure.consumersinterest.com/pml/images/arielmichellesmall.jpg">Ariel</a> (from Great Lakes) arrived today!

Latest posts