How much space is required for an 84" chute?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tammaraki

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on my L3 design and I'm trying to estimate how much volume I need for an 84", possibly 96" chute. The airframe is 5.5", so I would have quite a bit of space. I am hoping to get in 16", is that reasonable?

I depends on the brand and type of chute. If you check out the Fruity Chute website they list packing volume for their chutes. It’s also important to know that the elliptical chutes have the same ‘stopping power’ as much larger chutes, but they are expensive. So for a given weight you can pick a regular chute that takes up a fair amount of space or a elliptical one that’s much smaller but also more expensive.

In your case you have a fair amount of space so I don’t think you’ll have any trouble. But really, a better way to phrase it is to say “my rocket weighs x and I have (body diameter x length) room for a chute - what works in that space? You also need to consider how much room the rest of your recovery gear needs, including the chute protection.

Tony

To follow on to my answer, I happened to have a 96" PML chute and a section of 5.5" tubing. PML Chutes are well built - lots of taped seams and reinforced edges. I folded one they way I typically would and wrapped it in a chute protector. The result is below. Of course you have to account for how much space your rigging will use, but is sure looks like if you have 16" of free space in a 5.5" tube, you should not have any issues.

Tony

top-view.jpgside-view.jpgchute.jpg

Last edited:
To follow on to my answer, I happened to have a 96" PML chute and a section of 5.5" tubing. PML Chutes are well built - lots of taped seams and reinforced edges. I folded one they way I typically would and wrapped it in a chute protector. The result is below. Of course you have to account for how much space your rigging will use, but is sure looks like if you have 16" of free space in a 5.5" tube, you should not have any issues.

Tony

View attachment 489769View attachment 489770View attachment 489771

My apologies for the distraction, but what's that second scale on the ruler? 1/14" doesn't ring a bell at all.

Reinhard

My apologies for the distraction, but what's that second scale on the ruler? 1/14" doesn't ring a bell at all.

Reinhard
Interesting that you noticed, and that I cut the top off that listed what it was. It's known as a 'pica pole' and is from the publishing industry. I worked with newspapers and magazines back at the dawn of the desktop publishing revolution and that was my 'credibility stick'. Once I pulled that out and laid it on a page, folks who were skeptical of me (I was selling computers and software) would quickly forget that and lean in to learn more about how the software worked.

The right side is an agate scale, which was used to measure lines of legal notices that cities and counties were required to publish and was a big part of many small town newspapers income. It was also used to print stock tables, and more importantly for a lot of my customers, prices of farm commodities. The other side is classic Picas and Points. There are 'about' 72 points to an inch, but most folks now just use 72/inch.

I keep it because it is a nice solid steel ruler and is great for cutting things with an Exacto or single edge razor blade. And it reminds me of how I got a start to what lead to my business and all that.

Tony

pica pole - both sides:
pica-pole.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting that you noticed, and that I cut the top off that listed what it was. It's known as a 'pica pole' and is from the publishing industry. I worked with newspapers and magazines back at the dawn of the desktop publishing revolution and that was my 'credibility stick'. Once I pulled that out and laid it on a page, folks who were skeptical of me (I was selling computers and software) would quickly forget that and lean in to learn more about how the software worked.

The right side is an agate scale, which was used to measure lines of legal notices that cities and counties were required to publish and was a big part of many small town newspapers income. It was also used to print stock tables, and more importantly for a lot of my customers, prices of farm commodities. The other side is classic Picas and Points. There are 'about' 72 points to an inch, but most folks now just use 72/inch.

I keep it because it is a nice solid steel ruler and is great for cutting things with an Exacto or single edge razor blade. And it reminds me of how I got a start to what lead to my business and all that.

Tony

pica pole - both sides:
View attachment 489974

Thanks for the explanation and backstory!

Reinhard

Back