how much does paint weigh - or are estes weights correct?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Reaction score
Hello - new bar here - last did this in the mid 70's. Put together a few kits now to get back into the swing of things and noticed that the last 2 estes kits are way overweight once done. Built 2 small kits - hiflier and quark and those were a few grams over so no biggie there. but put together a patriot and a stormcaster (4.95 on clearance at michaels - got a couple) and both are about 30 grams over the weight listed on the kit? is this common? the patriot comes close to the max for the suggested engines - flew fine on b6-4's the other day Put together a red river kit at the same time as the patriot (diamond ring - neat tuber!) and that one is only 2 or so grams than the listed weight - it is similar in size to the patriot so not sure what is up with the estes kits - will be weighing more as i build some current kits to get an idea how glue and paint affects the weight

Thanks

Steve

Yep, it's common, and not just with Estes. Depends on your build techniques, though. I typically come in about 0.2 ounces heavier for a typical 1.2-1.5 ounce bird, but I fill grains and spirals, and am a little thick on the paint when all is said and done.

Welcome Steve,

I never believe the weights posted on the kits, or the max altitudes. I figure they have experts building these things and they do a better job than I ever will. I assume I use too much glue or something, so my weight will always be more than the kit posted weight.

Paint should not weigh a lot if you put it on properly. The drag reduction of a good paint job should offest the extra weight.

thanks - I know I was a bit heavy on the paint on the patriot but it looks nice. was about as heavy on the diamond ring and went lighter on the stormcaster so guess i will keep weighing to keep em light enough

Steve

Steve:
Depending on the kit and manufacturer the weight on the bag can be either the raw parts estimated weight, a unfinished model weight or the shipping weight of the bagged model including packaging and instructions.

I pay little attention to particular printed mass listing preferring to use the actual mass of the completed, finished model as I built it to do my altitude and/or motor selection projections.

Back