How many?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWalks

Reaction score
I have three rockets done, waiting for the rain to quit and paint. Thats one rocket for each week since I entered this realm. Now I figure at the current rate, I should have a number of Rockets ready for launch by spring.

This got me to wondering if perhaps I am slipping a little over the edge. I mean after all I will have 5 rockets for Low power and I am all ready looking at three rockets that are Mid-power I just have to have. While thinking about this today it made me wonder about the average number of rockets a person normally has at any one time - I have no doubt this could be a pretty good range from: 1 - ?

So my question: How many rockets in your current fleet, that you actually launch?

I currently have about 42 in ready to fly condition,
8 in the repair lab
4 under construction
and I am guessing around 60-80 unbuilt kits

plus tubes ,cones and wood laying everywhere

and I'm just a fledgeling compared to alot of members here.

102 in my active fleet; 4 others built but not flown yet; one on the bench

Originally posted by stymye
I currently have about 42 in ready to fly condition,
8 in the repair lab
4 under construction
and I am guessing around 60-80 unbuilt kits

Holy Cow....... I am way behind..........

4 build and ready to fly
12 under constuction, repair or have not flown yet
11 unbuilt kits

...lets see now, the proverbial question has been asked, "when will it be enough?..."

Not even when you look at your sons bicycle and think hhmmmm, K550?:D

I'm on Re-B.A.R. status, I seem to keep re-inventing myself through my childrens newfound look on rocketry.

Lets see... To fly I got about 4 or 5. To build i got about 5 also. On repair: none.

Total fleet, 95 rockets. Built ready to fly, 73. In various stages of construction, 4. The rest are still packaged and waiting in line.

I lost count. :D

I'd have to say about 80 unbuilt, 25-30 ready to fly and built. I probably have about 8-10 crashed or in need of repair.

When is it enough? Well, the only *real* answer to that is "when you've run out of storage space!" :D Isn't that the truth?! LOL. (Ok, time to go shopping again....j/k)

I lost count of how many rockets I have own too... I say right now I have under a couple dozzen flyable birds...

and many hanging on the wall waiting to be built :)

I had to re-count........

5 ready to fly
6 under repair
9 under construction
3 not flown yet
10 unbuilt kits

grand total 33......... I guess I need to buy more..........

Well, I tried to count them but ran out of fingers and toes!

So...I dropped my pants. I guess I have 21 Rockets...probably more!

sandman

Dang, I thought I had lost my mind when I figured I would have between 10-15 by spring ... now after reading these replies I realize ---- I am sane. :D

Now about the choice of a Mid-power for taking level 1 test ... hummmmm, PML Callisto or Loc Graduator ..... Huuuum, Honey one of each please!

Originally posted by sandman
Well, I tried to count them but ran out of fingers and toes!

So...I dropped my pants. I guess I have 21 Rockets...probably more!

sandman

:eek:

Reminds me of Benny Hill.... never mind ;)

clear my mind.... clear my mind

Don't worry about going over the edge. There is no edge. Or if there is, I never saw it.

I have 47 flyers.
6 waiting for paint, but have flown.
About 35-40 still in the bag.
And I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow, but just to get another Stormcaster to replace the one I lost a few weeks ago.
And maybe an SR71 if they have it.

slim

I have about 50 ready-to-fly, and maybe 10 or 20 ready to begin construction. Here is the list, in decending order of largest to smallest, with the motors I plan to fly them on in the near future:

30 pound PVC pipe rocket, 4" diameter, 12' tall. K1075GG, L1060GG, and pretty much any M.
MSH 4" V2, 4" diamter, ?? tall, H165R, H128W.
Yank 3" IQSY Tomahawk, ?? tall, Anything between G64 and J570W.
LOC Forte, 3" diameter, 45" tall, anything between F20-4W and J570W.
Maine Model and High Power Rocketry (my company) 2" unnamed (for now) boiler plate version of kit, anything between E30 and J420R.
LOC Custom ASP, 1.5" diameter, anything between E15 and H165R.
AT IQSY Tomahawk, 1.9" diameter, E30-G64
AT Stretched Mustang, with altimeter, anything between E15 and H165W.
and about 35 smaller little low-mid power whipper snappers with 18MM motor mounts that I plan to CHAD stage with a D12-0 to obscene altitudes. Also a minimum diameter IQSY Tomahawk to fly on Ds, Es, and Fs. Gonna go HIGH, baby!!! OH YEAH!!! And also in the works a scratch-clone Wombat from JimZ plans.

In the "sick-bay" is a recently shredded Deltie B, and a few other rockets. I have quite a fleet. If you count the rockets I have lost, I have about 75-100 rockets.

OOOOOO!!! I am sorry!!!! I forgot to mention my mach busters!!!

OK. MB1: F20-4W to J570W.
Shortend Raptor, F20-4W to I200W.
These are two of my best works of art, I cant believe I forgot them!! Forgive me!!!

Dont worry about hitting the edge. it does not exist. Kinda like falling off the edge of the earth. Besidesl, lookit me! If anyone has gone over the edge, he is typing this right now! I have not even reached my teens yet and I am flying HPR, and have 30 pound rockets sitting in my garage!!!! my dad has not even started to THINK about motors that big. Dont worry about going over the edge. When you do it is FUN!!!! and you will know it when you do, too! When you are sitting at a computer CAD thing designing a rocket that cant be lifted by an "off the shelf" motor, you know you are into it!!!! Keep goin, you are doing VERY well for someone who is only a few weeks/months into this!!! It took me a year or two to get to thinking about MPR, but once I did, it sped up a LOT. Just to think.... In under a year I launched my first F. Then my first G. Then my first H. Then, in Janaury, my first mach busting flight, and my first I. Next july I will be flying Js and Ks. Just plain scary!!!! Time flies when you are into rocketry!!!

I have 93 ready to fly, about 8 that are 'in the repair hangar' and am building about 10 .... (mostly because it is too cold to paint here in upstate NY. My basement is FREEZING!!)

Originally posted by astronboy
I have 93 ready to fly, about 8 that are 'in the repair hangar' and am building about 10 .... (mostly because it is too cold to paint here in upstate NY. My basement is FREEZING!!)

Same here - too cold and wet to paint, I have an unheated outdoor work shop.

Well after posting this question and then reading the replies I decided " I am ok, mentally, so don't worry about it". Went yesterday and picked up a couple more kits.

1. Estes "Explorer" Condor - Booster Rocket with gliders (2).

2. Estes - StormCaster

3. Estes - Big Bertha

4. Estes - Big Daddy

Ok, I am ready for the cold times and the snow now, so let it rip. :)

Over the edge? What's that??? I like to answer this question when it comes up.....

111 ready to fly
10 to fix
56 ready for paint
36 unassembled kits
8 scratch-builds in the works

221 total....

I lost count somewhere around 250... mostly Estes, about 40 HPR and I'm starting to run out of room in the garage :D It doesn't help that the rocket sizes multiplied exponentially after I figured out how to do EX... you can only fit so many 7.5" -- 11" rockets in the house!

And of course I'm working on a Q motor rocket too... ah geeze, gonna need to rent a storage facility... or a warehouse :p

I shudder to think of how many rockets I'll have in two years, by the time I can certify!

OK, I ran through the house & counted:

son has 21 rockets in his room
daughter has 13 rockets in her room
long-suffering wife has 34 rockets in the living room
20 more in the garage
3 on the repair table
2 on the build table
35 LPR/MPR kits in bags
2 HPR kits and parts for 2 more HPR projects
6 Ralphco Crayon 29mm rocket kits we put together (anyone want one?)

and a box of a dozen or so micro-maxx that I can't find right now!

and I just realized I am staring at a Little Joe II on my computer desk that needs finishing, the roll pattern on the CSM tube.

is that enough? NEVER!! more are coming for xmas!

Originally posted by cls
OK, I ran through the house & counted:

is that enough? NEVER!! more are coming for xmas!

Cliff if you look East NE about 130 miles thats me waving at you. :)

I'm still waiting for a REAL answer to this question from micromister (hint, hint). He seems to know how many micros he has, but won't venture to his shed to count the 'normal' sized ones. :D

My Log says I have 283 different Model and LRM's in flyable condition That doesn't count the multi-repeats of competition type P/d, S/d, H/d, payload, cluster-alt, superrocs, B/G, R/g's and flex wings.., 2 LMR's under repair, 89 micro-maxx models complete and 8 in various stages if paint finishing. We don't talk about the kits in bags..My better 2/3rds just wants to know when she can sell the hobby shop I have laying around:D:D

My log is showing 83 built in 2 yrs in the hobby.

I've lost 4 I believe if my count is correct.

Have about a dozen kits waiting for build, but most of them will wait until after my L2 bird is completed, should be starting it this week.....

Now ya forgot another sickness, the stocking of motors....

I've got over 110 black powder estes motors, A thru E

Just over 30 mid power AT motors.

Jason:
that's a good yearly building average.. LOL keep it up.. you too will be looking to buy an additional storage shed:D ;) hint hint, you can pack a lot of micro's in a very small space:kill:

my turn...

High Power: (9) built, painted & flyable; (2) unbuilt

Mid Power: (4) built, painted & flyable; (1) in need of repairs; (3) unbuilt

Low power: (5) built, painted & flyable; (5) built, no paint; (15) waiting for build

Motors:

MPR = 15 AP & BP assort. E - G

LPR = 60 BP A - D

I need to get to building more and soon. :D

Originally posted by TwoWalks
I have three rockets done, waiting for the rain to quit and paint. Thats one rocket for each week since I entered this realm. Now I figure at the current rate, I should have a number of Rockets ready for launch by spring.

This got me to wondering if perhaps I am slipping a little over the edge. I mean after all I will have 5 rockets for Low power and I am all ready looking at three rockets that are Mid-power I just have to have. While thinking about this today it made me wonder about the average number of rockets a person normally has at any one time - I have no doubt this could be a pretty good range from: 1 - ?

So my question: How many rockets in your current fleet, that you actually launch?

Lets see:

About 10 ready to fly.
Two more building.
Two in the rebair bay

And about 50 unbuilt kits.

Al:D :D

well I have about 110 built (about 35 in flyable condition, the rest in need of repair), along with about 20 in one stage of construction or another....

I have 19 on the "to build this winter" list

I won't go into how many unbuilt kits I have. That just would be fair... :D

jim

Jim,

Some of your "unbuilt" kit will be built by others....I'm sure.

Although some will be "saved!"

sandman

Back