How many times do you cut yourself?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think will be this years TARC cutoff point?

• 10 points or less

• 10.01 to 15

• 15.01 to 20

• 20.01 or greater

• I just want to see the results of the poll

• 10 points or less

• 10.01 to 15

• 15.01 to 20

• 20.01 or greater

• I just want to see the results of the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.

wwattles

Reaction score
I dunno about you folks, but I'm constantly nicking myself with my hobby knife. No emergency room trips yet, but I'm sure I'm destined for one someday!

WW

I don't cut myself much, but when i do, it's a doozy.... been stitched up once for a cut that went to the bone (between the thumb and forefinger...)

ick

lately I've been getting through most projects without any nicks or stabs. but just this afternoon the power sander grabbed a fin and jammed it. that really scared me. I am usually over-careful around power tools and this was the last touch up on the last side ... that's when it happens!!

I get cuts all the time, many times at work, working with carboard.
Usually once a month working on rockets...
and at least once during a rocket launch... although those are usually caused by sharp edges on RMS closures...

I have only been cut twice. One might have needed stiches but I would not go the second I had no choice to go and get 5 stitches. Other then that I have been pretty lucky.

A bunch of cuts and nicks, nothing too serious...

That one time though...I drilled into my palm with a 1/4" bit...luckily I pulled my finger off the button before it did much damage..just left an "S" shape in my palm, thats still there a few months after the fact. That one bled good.

I rarely cut myself with hobby tools.

Now a Dremel...that's different.

I've ground into my fingernails more than a few times.

That just gives me the shivers!:eek:

sandman

once, in a while, I used to do it often but I have developed better habits so not as much anymore

when I get them it is almost always on the tips of my fingers, lots of blood

AS far as I can remember, once. The whole time I have owned a hobby knife. I was hacking away at the bottail for my ASRAAM since I didn't have a razor saw. I looked at it, then noticd it was red. I didn't feel any pain. I look at my finger and start screaming in pain. Kind of like a placebo thing.

Kinda like the time I was working on a chicken farm and we cornered a racoon on a coop.

I stood guard at the door while my partner went to get a gun (it was eating chickens I guess).

It made a break for the door and as it passed I jabbed down hard with the pitchfork...it went right into my boot...

I waited for the longest time frozen in fear...waiting for the pain to shoot up my leg...and waited...and waited...

no pain...

then I wiggled my toes...

I could feel the tines of the pitchfork exactly between two toes.

That boot always leaked after that!:rolleyes:

sandman

Lol...

I've been very lucky over the last 2 years..nada. Of course, now that you've posted this, I'm expecting that the rocket gods will reach out and send a majority of TRFers to the local ER for good measure. 8)

On a side note, my worst happened about 18 years ago. I was at home, slowly whittling an Egyptian pommel and scabbard for a home made Ceremonial Dagger. Complete with genuine stones and the like. Had about 10 people at the house, sort of the meet and go from there place at the time.

Not 5 minutes after they all left, I was making a deeper cut when the frickin knife tip went too deep, in the ensuing melee of trying to pull it out, the blade snapped and my reflexes pulled it back towards me. Bad mistake. Went straight in between the thumb and forfinger to the bone. Had blood all over the house in seconds.

Not a darn band-aid to be found, so after a mad dash downstairs to the neighbors with a towel soaked and dripping blood wrapped around it, a local cop saw me and rushed me to the ER..34 stitches total.

that was the last time I used an striaght exacto..I use the snap-off exactos now, with the security blade.

I have voted with the "None. I never cut myself"....... Now I just hope I have not jinkest myself........

Only 1 bad cut , cut a BIG patch of skin of the top of my knuckle , so you could see the bone , stitched back on after 5hrs waiting in casualty. Then only a few minor cuts/stabs :eek:

I usually cut myself on each build. Most of the time, it's just enough to let a little blood seep out. A couple of times, it's been pretty deep, but with an exacto, it doesn't really hurt that bad. The worst cut I've had, was actually from dropping my knife. My instant reflex was to move my foot under it to protect the floor. Then, I remembered I was barefoot, but it was too late.

Can't remember the last time I cut myself modeling.
I did trip on the stairs last night and fall on the glass I was carryting. Broke the glass but amazingly only got a tiny nick.

Rockets - No Vehcles - Oh Yes! My truck requires at least a 1/2 pint donation before it wil allow itself to be repaired. I should just srape my hand across the radiator or jam it into the carb at the outset, you know, get it out of the way. It would just be faster.
Bob

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I have voted with the "None. I never cut myself"....... Now I just hope I have not jinkest myself........

I REFUSE to vote just for this reason! Yikes! I'm afraid of stitches!

Only cut myself once with a hobby tool...wasn't bad though. I did once cut my knee pretty bad, it was deep and I could see my kneecap. Took 13 stitches. Weird thing is...I don't remember it hurting!

Twice this year my left middle finger has been bit by a rotary cutter. Super glued it once, stiched it the second time.

9511.jpg

Even Eagles cut themselves every once in awhile;)
I try to make it a habbit the strop my x-actos every time I pick one up to keep it razor sharp. This also reminds me to ALWAYS cut away from the body and fingers, Basic Boy Scout tot'in chip!:D But you never know then the cat is gonna decide she really needs to be in your lap or the dog sitting behind you hears some distant call requiring a crisp Woof sending that #11 blade spinning in the air! TOOOO much coffee maybe??
Can ANYONE explain WHY a #1 x-acto handle with a #11 or #16 blade will alway stick in your foot, instead of hitting Heavy handle end down if you drop it or it rolls of the table????

Originally posted by Micromister
Can ANYONE explain WHY a #1 x-acto handle with a #11 or #16 blade will alway stick in your foot, instead of hitting Heavy handle end down if you drop it or it rolls of the table????

Streamlining? :p

Jason

My guess is that it has something to do with Center of pressure and Center of gravity... hmmm... maybe we need to add some fins on the blade end and some weight to the handle end...

WW:p

Easy..the Rocket Gods control all laws dealing with science and nature. Hence, their simply saying - we know where you live, and though we know you love the hobby, you must pay tenfold for each successful launch. 8)

So I carefully position the metal straight-edge over the balsa sheet, lining up with the marks, so that any cut that goes wide to the right (I am right-handed) will be on the 'waste' side of the material. I carefully position the X-acto (sharp, of course, so it will cut smoothly) next to the metal straight edge, with the cutting edge lowered close to the balsa, and the back edge of the blade held up vertically. I know that if I hold the blade in this position then the cutting edge of the X-acto will not bite into the metal straight-edge and leave the balsa. So I am drawing the X-acto slowly and carefully along the straight-edge, and of course the blade tips just enough for the X-acto to grab onto the metal and start riding across the top of it. It is headed for my fingers, which are also on top of the straight-edge to hold it down securely on the balsa.

Self to self: "Hey, the blade jumped up on top of the straight-edge again. We should stop cutting now before we reach our fingers."

Self back to self: "You know, you're absolutely right, we SHOULD stop cutting now. It's getting awful close."

Self to self: "Well, when are you gonna stop? Why are you still cutting? Don't you remember what happened last time?"

Self again: "Of course I remember last time, that was a really really stupid thing to do, why would I want to forg . . . "

Gus's Rule #1: Never use anything sharper than your own mind.

I hardly ever cut myself when building. However, I am constantly supergluing myself to my rockets. I make my sacrafice to the rocket-gods in the form of freshly ripped off skin samples...:eek:

oooh, too obvious, what a great project ... c'mon Micromister, we've all been waiting for for you to post the Flying Xacto Micro Maxx Of Doom!!!!!

true confessions time: I got a minor nick from a straight razor today, while cleaning up epoxy and daydreaming about this thread instead of paying attention.

I superglue myself to myself much more often than I cut myself...lol

Probably following the same law as buttered toast does...just slightly more painful!

Back